Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VFO knob on TS430s (How do I remove)  (Read 5627 times)
HIFIMAN

Ignore
« on: April 21, 2011, 12:10:36 PM »

I have a mint TS430s and want to put a drop of oil on the encoder shaft. There is no set screw on the VFO knob so how do I get the knob off? Any help would be great. The tuning knob is a little tight even with the brake screw out. Thanks. I have a service manual but it doesnt address the knob removal.
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 12:31:05 PM »

Pull HARD. It's a friction fit and probably stuck. On the oiling there are no bearings as another poster alluded to, bronze bushings.

Clif
HIFIMAN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 01:16:43 PM »

Thanks- So are you saying that oiling would not help?
MAGNUM257

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 03:42:35 AM »

Jeeesh, just pull the knob and oil it.

Clif

In one breath, he is telling you not to bother oiling, but now he says go ahead and oil.

Make up your mind, woman!
HIFIMAN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 03:50:32 AM »

I just am a SWL guy trying to fix this radio. Clif, I'm sorry I bothered you. Maybe this is the wrong site to ask for help.
MAGNUM257

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 04:26:20 AM »

I just am a SWL guy trying to fix this radio. Clif, I'm sorry I bothered you. Maybe this is the wrong site to ask for help.

This is a great site for getting answers, but not from everyone on the site. From time to time you will get a smarta$$ reply, whether intentional or not. Some folks type and send faster than they think, and really mean no harm at all. And others, well....

KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 07:39:42 AM »

A shaft inside a bushing needs lubrication to function properly. 

KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 08:36:58 AM »

Nowhere did I say not oil it. In 2 different thread on the same topic I gave the same advice. It gets a little old. Just do it.

Clif
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 10:21:01 AM »

HIFIMAN:  First of all, when you do lubricate that encoder, use a thin oil, like used for sewing machines (sorry-nobody sews anymore) or guns.  If you can get your hands on a hypodermic needle, use it to put just a very small amount of oil down in the bearing.  Then spin the shaft to distribute the ONE drop of oil.  Optical encoders use IR light emitting diodes.  The one thing you don't want to do is put a lot of oil into an encoder which might set up reflections.  One drop of oil will go a long way.

Second.  I can appreciate you getting your tail in a knot over an answer you got.  It's happened to me a few times.  I either get mad and lash out or walk away..... depending on my mood that day.

The main thing you need to learn is not to be easily upset and also try to understand that some posters might be having a bad day, even though they might not realize it.  I am NOT referring to any poster on this thread!  There hasn't been any posts here to really get upset over.

Ya'all come back  Heah?

HIFIMAN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 12:52:53 PM »

Thanks for everyones help and great advice on how to handle some remarks. I am a 30 yr Navy man that just retired as a Master Chief and I should know and shouldn't have been so easily upset.I did pick up some sewing machine oil and I just installed my SSB narrow filter. Now if i can just get this darn knob off:)
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 03:28:56 PM »

An old trick for removing the stubborn friction-fit knob (make darn good and sure it is indeed friction-fit first, inspect underneath knurled plastic/rubber rings for set screws...): 

A handkerchief. 

Yep, what you do is get one edge of the handkerchief down behind the knob, then wrap the thing around the back of the knob until the hanky material overlaps itself a bit. 

Then grasp the rest of the handkerchief, close to the knob so that it doesn't slip off, and apply steady pressure in the direction away from the front panel. 

Never force anything, if it does not *want* to move, stop, figure out what is holding it in place.  I once met a force-fit knob on a customer piece, a stereo receiver, in which the customer had apparently affixed the knob to the shaft with superglue.  Only we now had to remove front panel to affect proper repair... 

The handkerchief trick works, don't sell it short, been using it for years on the stubborn knobs.

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 04:10:07 PM »

3WD:  I concur!  I normally use a piece of heavy cord but a hankerchef would work better.

Copy that Master Chief!  There is a product call Kroil that is available at most hardware stores.  It will penetrate into cracks, openings like a millionth of an inch.  If you get to the place where you're afraid of busting something, take a hypodermic needle and drop a drop or two of Kroil onto the shaft and tilt the radio so the Kroil flows toward the knob.  Let it set for 1/2 hr and try again. 

I too hope it isn't superglued on!
AC2RC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 07:00:51 PM »

The bushing - is it just a solid bronze bushing or is it made of bronze powder and pre-lubricated [never needs oiling ] ??
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 09:41:17 PM »

AC2RC: You're kidding, right?
KD8HMO

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 09:53:14 PM »

The bushing - is it just a solid bronze bushing or is it made of bronze powder and pre-lubricated [never needs oiling ] ??

I was wondering the same thing...
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: