Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DX Engineering ATSA-1 Stealth Antenna  (Read 1299 times)
K6UMO

Ignore
« on: May 06, 2011, 03:18:51 PM »

I will soon be moving to a house on a hillside in west Maui, about a mile from the ocean.  The ATSA-1 looks intriguing, but I have been unable to find any independant reviews.  Has anyone tried this antenna.  Does it work for DX (in Hawaii everything is DX!)  I will have a clear shot at the ocean to the west and probably north, and a tall mountain to the east and south.

Mike
K6UMO
soon to be KH6??
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 03:37:39 PM »

Isn't that essentially an end-fed random wire with a remote auto tuner and radials? If so, that pretty much describes my multi-band antenna. Mine is in sort of an inverted-L configuration and only 25 feet high at the far end.

It does OK. The fact that I mostly work CW helps. I've had a lot of fun with it doing regional work on 40 and 80, a luxury you won't have in Hawaii. But recently with improved conditions I've managed some great contacts with it. Tokyo on 15M SSB. Poland on 75M ssb(!!) and many others.

But frankly I get most of my DX with a 20M inverted V.

I predict that when conditions are great you'll have fun with it, and don't forget the radials. But you'll probably want to augment it with a dipole or two. 

If I'm off base on this antennas description I apologize.

Have fun in Hawaii!

73, Geoff
K6UMO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 03:59:14 PM »

You are correct in your assessment.  My house is 2 story and in a very CCR restricted neighborhood.  The set comes with about 44 feet of antenna wire which I would run up to the eaves of the house and then horizontally for the remainder of the distance.  My other choice would be a large horizontal loop strung under the eaves for a total length of about 250 feet.  The wire itself would be invisible from the street, but the 450 ohm window feed line would be very visible, even if I paint it to match the color of the house.  I'll have to see if I can bargain with the HOA about that.  Anyone else have experience the the ATSA-1 antenna or with whole house horizontal loop?

Mike
K6UMO
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: