Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Screwdriver antenna questions  (Read 5674 times)
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 10:43:40 AM »

I have several vehicles now and have many others in the past with antennas.

Some times the reason for a specific antenna is  not so much efficiency as it is convienece.  I am an old disabled guy, and have  trouble walking and getting in and out of the car,  so I use an ATAS 120 on the car as it fits in the garage.

I also have a truck and it parks outside.  I have installed on it an origonal DK3 screwdriver with a 5 foot whip, and a 2m/440/6m diamond ( or maybe a comet) antenna on there also.  the truck parks outside so it can be taller.

On the truck I have used a hustler mast with the triangle thing to use 4  tips at once ( a fan hustler??) and also ham sticks, like 6 or 7 feet tall with whips, and lots of other type mobile antennas.  None are outstanding, but the closer you get to a full size antenna the better they work.  You can use a full CB whip on 10 meters and do quite well,  but a hustler on 80 meters is only a bout a tenth or less of a full size antenna and does not work so well.

so if you need the "best" signal, bigger is better, but oher factors may be more important.  If you want a killer antenna  try a full wave loop at 1200 feet long at 50 feet high at your house.  But if you sit on a mountain top in your car with a screwdriver antenna and an ft 857 you can certinally make contacts and have fun.

Just decide which is most important.  size , or efficiency, or convience.
WA8FOZ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2011, 08:44:54 PM »

I use a bugcatcher coil antenna, mounted on the left rear quarter panel of my car. The total height of the arrangement is about 13 feet. I have dealt with the garage problem by putting the whip on a quick-disconnect at the top of the coil. The whip comes off and can be placed diagonally in the back seat. Yes, I have to get out of the car. But it's lighter and has less windload than a screwdriver, and is a very good performer. I have another quick-disconnect at the base of the mast with a Breedlove ball mount, so the whole works can be quickly removed and re-attached for security, car washes, whatever.

I am VERY happy with this system. You can look at it on k0bg.com

Bill WA8FOZ
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: