Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu 857 has locked up...how to reset  (Read 7771 times)
K6SGH

Ignore
« on: April 23, 2011, 06:49:20 AM »

Jack, W5FG/mm is operating from a cruise ship going around the world. He's off the western coast of Africa and has a big problem with his rig.  His Yaesu 857 has locked up in the 145mhz band.  He cannot figure out how to reset the rig.  He can listen but he can't transmit or change frequency or mode.  He's turned it on and off many times but it stays locked up at 145mhz.

Does anyone know how to reset his rig??  If so, please either send me an email to k6sgh@cox.net or reply here in this forum and I will pass the info along to him.

Many thanks in advance.

Steve, K6SGH
KG6BRG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 07:09:56 AM »

I think your friend needs a manual.  A reset is usually holding a button or two down, while powering up.  I never leave on a trip without a hard copy or a pdf version of the manual of the radio I'm planning to operate.  So easy to do now a days.  seems lots of people just want to be told the answer, not read a manual.  Good luck to your friend.  cheers.
WD0MYM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 07:11:03 AM »

V/M + POWER for a partial reset

FUNC + POWER is also a partial reset

HOME + POWER for a full reset.

The radio does have a lock on the right hand side, make sure thats not enabled.

Jon
WD0MYM
X-KB0TVL
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 07:12:59 AM by KB0TVL » Logged
G8JNJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 07:12:19 AM »

Hold home and power on.

Warning this clears memories and everything else.

http://w1npp.org/Equipment/FT-857D_Operating.pdf

P117

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ

www.g8jnj.webs.com
WD0MYM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 07:15:16 AM »

http://www.yaesu.com

You can download the manual here.

Jon

K6SGH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 06:03:46 AM »

Yes, he has the manual.

I've passed along all the suggestions, which he already knew about and tried.  No fix.  The rig is stuck in 2meters, it transmits and receives but he cannot change bands. He is a very experienced operator and has used this rig for years.  Anyone out there ever had this experience with this rig?

--steve
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 08:20:51 AM »

steve- 

An old technician's trick for rebooting anything digital: 

Open up the radio (remove covers) and look for the cpu section.  May be part of front panel on some modern rigs, may be somewhere else.  If rig has Memory Battery of Memory Capacitor, you've already found the critical power line needed, which is likely to be 3V or possibly 3.3V. 

Use a common light bulb, 40, 60 or 100W to SHORT the MemBat or MemCap positive to negative for about 1 second, no more.  This will force the whole shebang to reboot from initialization instructions and can often restore a frozen situation such as described. 

With a memory cell, it is even okay to use a direct short for less than a second to do this, I have used bent paper clips, etc.  But don't try that with a Memory Capacitor unless you like welding.  Use a low value wirewound resistor or the lightbulb method. 

This is what we call a 'hard reset' on the testbenches. 

If that doesn't bring the rig back to square one, then suspect a more serious problem. 

One such problem that is found quite a lot in these situations is the Stuck Key Syndrome. 

In many cases, the pushbuttons on digital controlled systems such as these rigs, are not implemented with separate switch closure lines back to the cpu for each switch.  Most processors designed for this kind of work don't have enough inputs available for that. 

So the engineer designs a pushbutton matrix (often found, for example in numpad buttons, but also can be found used for function buttons, etc.) and all of the switches are actually sending voltages to a single analog (A-D inside the chip) input.  If the schematic shows a rather confusing array of switches with different value resistors in series with them, that is what you have going on. 

The system works well, but if one switch becomes stuck for any reason, its voltage will always be on the single line back to the chip - and that freezes the whole shebang. 

I've seen failed switches cause this, also seen switches that somehow go bad over time and even though they check good, they leak current to that line.  This particular problem may not be a field serviceable situation given the particulars, but just in case it might be, thought I'd share the clue as to what to look for.  Hopefully your friend has at least a DMM and knows how to use it. 

By all means I'd be trying the hard reset procedure first. 

PE1HZG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 04:08:39 AM »

He can listen but he can't transmit or change frequency or mode.  He's turned it on and off many times but it stays locked up at 145mhz

The 857 uses EEPROM storage so "shorting" as suggested does not work.

I'd suggest to disconnect and re-connect the short RJ45 cable between detachable front and the main radio chassis, both ends. That has caused trouble in other cases.

Make sure all accessories (morse key, tuner, PC) are disconnected and re-power up.
Specifically, the radio does weird if the CW key is stuck when it is powered up.
This is a safety feature.

Also, make sure all buttons on the front operate correctly and freely and none are stuck.

Disconnect the microphone and re-try. You did connect the microphone in the left connector and the front in the right connector (I don't think it works the other way but the mic connector in remote mode is pretty advanced, so..)

Geert Jan
K6SGH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 07:23:10 AM »

many thanks..will pass this last suggestion on to jack.

73 and thanks for all the replies.

steve
K6SGH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 06:30:52 AM »

Well...sorry to report that none of these fixes returned the rig to normal operation.  Must have gotten hosed somehow.

Many thanks to all....

Jack, W5FG/MM is nearing the end of his trip around most of the world. 

73, K6SGH

www.k6sgh.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: