Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Perplexed With SWR Reporting Issue and IC-7000  (Read 4771 times)
W8NYY

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2011, 08:04:09 AM »

And most of you seemed to have missed one of the original points and that is the SWR meter on the 7000 jumps up and down from zero to red-lining on  voice peaks like an ALC meter when on 40 meters when driving the SG-500 with 35 watts and the SG-500 into a dummy load.   The Palstar meter after the SG-500 reads a constant 1.1:1 during the test.  Alan Applegate, K0BG was able to reproduce the issue on his set up which is nearly identicle to mine, even down to the 2006 Honda Ridgeline.  Go figure.  If Alan is seeing the same issue, I'm not going to worry any more about it.
GOLDTR8

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2011, 05:31:37 PM »

You will love that scorpion I have one and it is great.

I have been looking since last fall for a SGC power cube to connect to my IC7000 as they still are not making them yet.  Not sure if they ever will again :-( based on my last email from them.

I will have to follow this thread as I want to find out what the final problem turns out to be.

KD8NNU
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2011, 05:36:37 PM »

Betcha five bucks he's got one helluva nearfield goin' on there too...

Grin
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2011, 11:57:44 AM »

Don, it is my understanding they did ship a small number about 10 days ago.

You also might do a sear on QRZ, as someone in the Amp forum there was going to sell his.

Alan

GOLDTR8

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2011, 06:50:42 PM »

SGC is still not shipping amps, but they put me on the waiting list.  Also I looked for a used one at Dayton but no luck.
W8NYY

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2011, 04:40:08 AM »

I waited about 120 days for mine 3 years ago.  It was well worth the wait. 
SGC does a lot of government contract work so their production runs are only a couple times a year.  Best bet is to be patient and spend that time grounding and bonding the vehicle.  I used up about 30 feet of 1 inch braid while I was waiting and the time I spend bonding paid off in spades.
Just a hint.  They appear to ship to the larger suppliers first such as AES and Ham Radio Outlet.  I put in orders to each of these with the understanding that I would take delivery from whomever got their delivery first and the other orders would be canceled.  AES won.  You're not going t find any retail deals on the PowerCube because of the demand so if you want to buya new one, you have to play the game.
W8NYY
K5DUT

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2011, 06:44:08 PM »

I have an icom 706 that will read perfectly flat on swr up to 2:1 on an accurate bridge.  It just does not resolve swr any better!  Its the second one I have owned that does that.  Perhaps the 7000 has a similar problem.

Don K5dut
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2011, 06:32:37 AM »

Let's don't mix apples, and oranges.

The reason both the 706, and 7000 don't register SWR is an on-purpose design issue. Both radios interface with the AH-4. Both radios transmit a 10 watt carrier when so interfaced. The SWR is calculated by the AH-4, and not the radio, so showing SWR during tuning isn't necessary. If it were, then some internal software would have to adjust the circuitry for just 10 watts, rather than 100 watts.

Adding insult, is the fact that one section of the LSI-CPU controls the ALC, SWR indication, over-temperature of the finals, the fan, and a few others. As a result, as the heat sink warms up, the other readings are affected.

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: