Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DTV Transition and Field Day  (Read 1146 times)
AC2Q

Ignore
« on: February 08, 2009, 04:29:49 PM »

Well the Grand DTV Transition has now been pushed to June 12th.

Since getting people exposed to Amateur Radio is part of Field Day, and "The FCC" has evidently asked local clubs to "help out", would it be appropriate to set up, and "advertise" a sample setup of how to hook up a converter box at Field Day?

AC2Q
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 07:37:42 AM »

Sure !!!

In theory, it will be about 2 weeks after the change takes place, but there will still be individuals that are confused about what is taking place.
My club just did a special event show this past weekend at a Sportsman's show and a display regarding digital TV was part of the clubs setup.

Knowing the way things work in the USA, I wouldn't be surprized the transition is pushed off to a date later than June 12.
KI9A

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 03:45:56 AM »

Great idea! I am going to suggest that at our next club meeting.
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 06:05:05 PM »

Re LIX...

RIGHT ON THE MONEY ...

For those who did not see it on the news the Congress Wimped  Out and exteded the deadline for switching to digital television.

Hey L guy, seeing as your crystal ball is so accurate, what are the next 'Power Ball' numbers going to be ;-)
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 06:31:36 AM »

In my exercise room, I don't have cable set up so I bought a converter box last weekend to set it up.  The stations in this area are currently broadcasting in both analog and digital.  On the rabbit ears on analog, I could only watch two channels and the picture was poor.  On the same rabbit ears on digital, I picked up 16 stations (all that are available in my area actually) and the picture is excellent even on the weakest of them.  It's a fine example of the benefits of improving the signal to noise ratio by being able to narrow down the filtering.  Most of the time though, I just watch DVDs when I'm in there but this gives a nice alternative.
N3PRZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 11:59:27 PM »

The FCC should not be asking us to do something they failed to do.  But then again, if someone hasn't figured out about DTV by now....they are just an idiot.  

I have too much to worry about for Field Day, and the time, energy, and cost would better be used to attract people to ham radio, and make our operations top notch.  

I say it is unreasonable for the FCC to ask us to do their job.  We pay a lot of taxes, so they need to do their job that we paid them for.  If they want me to do PR for them, they'd better pay me.

DTV should never had been delayed anyway.  All it did is cost time, money and safety to those jurisdictions that were ready to switch over their communications systems to one of the old TV frequencies.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: