Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best logging program for ARRL DX CW Test?  (Read 970 times)
W6FG

Ignore
« on: February 18, 2009, 10:02:57 AM »

Hi All,

Anyone got a favorite logging program that works well (is easy to use) with the up-coming ARRL DX CW test?  I'm sure any general logging program will do, but I just wonder if there are any favorites.  Thanks for any replies.

W6FG

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Time flies like arrows...
Fruit flies like bananas!
W3TUA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 07:15:13 AM »

N1MM Logger is free and very powerful.

I've also used N1FJP's ARRL DX contest program. It is simple and does a great job. Very stable and easy to use.

Korey--W3TUA
N0UY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 10:23:50 AM »

N3FJP  Scott's sofware is simple to use and cheap.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 12:46:59 AM »

CT
W6FG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 12:34:07 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions.  I've ended up using the N3FJP IDX module and I think it will serve me well.  I own Logic8 but it's just too much to work with for me. N3FJP software is simple and that's what I liked about his NAQP module. I wouldn't be playing in any tests if I had not found something so 'straight forward', without all the bells and whistles. The other contest progams looked very powerful, but again just more than I need. Thanks for the input.

W6FG

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
K6REA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 08:53:26 PM »

I was just curious.., actually, thinking of upgrading my own software package...
what is it that you were looking for in a loggging software package when looking for a contesting software ?
What I mean is, what does it have / should do ?

thanks,
Kevin
K6REA

W6FG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 09:17:54 AM »

Hey Kevin,

Man, I could go on and on about logging software!  Funny, I am on this thing a lot but have yet to fully integrate the computer with my radio, yet I know that the marriage would be a successful one!

I've tried a lot of programs; many of the free or free-trial ones and I've bought a bunch as well. Probably the most powerful one is LOGic8 but I've got ones that are specific to CHing, ones that excel in tracking awards, contesting programs, etc.

I have a dozen or so handwritten logbooks that I've been trying to convert to digital, on and off, for yrs now. Maybe part of my problem is doing so much jumping around looking for the perfect program. Each has it's learning curve and perhaps there is one that would work for all applications if I would just stick with it and stop playing with the others.

I have a 'little pistol' station here so I don't need beam headings, I don't work VHF so no need for grid squares, no phone operation so voice recorders etc. are not needed.  I primarily rag chew, chase DX and awards on HF CW with a little non-serious contesting just for fun.  So as far as contesting software, it's something I'll only use occasionally and I don't want to have to take a great deal of time learning to use it.  It has to be somewhat "intuitive" to use without a bunch of windows that I have to switch between.  At this point I don't control my radio with software so that's not a feature I need in a program. I do like the feature of being able to see your current stats while in the fray.  I guess virtually all programs will convert to Cabrillo format for submitting scores but that's a 'must have' feature. Any features that are specific to a particular contest are helpful to me.  So I like a program that's written for a certain test or one that asks you which test you'll be operating and then sets it up for you.  I don't care if it looks like an old DOS program or not, but the less distractions the better.   If someone has been using one program for years they probably have it completely figured out and have no need to change, as it works well for them.  Even the 'do anything' types like LOGic can be configured for any 'event' so I'm sure I could customize a copy and use that one if I wanted to dig into all the options available.  I just want something fun and easy so that I'll look forward to the test rather than having to practically program a logger before every contest. I think most ops would agree that every program has it's strengths but in the end it's just what you're most comfortable using.  Good luck with your search!

Ross
W6FG

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
WA8UEG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 01:13:46 PM »

N3FJP
N5AX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 12:51:02 PM »