The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood "Formant Pas" Transmit Audio Setting  (Read 2877 times)
W2NJU

Ignore
« on: July 24, 2015, 07:33:43 PM »

Is there anyone out there who uses the "Formant Pas" setting for the transmit audio on their Kenwood rig? I have a TS-570 and a TS-2000 and in all of the conversations I've had about setting up transmit audio, I don't think I've even had anyone tell me they use the FP setting. As a second part to my question: Does any believe that the best mic for your rig is the one it came with???
KB7FSC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 09:58:46 AM »

Good morning,
I use FP with my TS-480 for chasing after DX.  I usually shut off the TX EQ for normal rag-chewing.  The FP is supposed to help with a little clarity in your audio signal for weaker stations.  Each to their own.  I played around with the TX equalizer settings on my radio by putting on my headphones, and turning on the TX monitor.  I transmitted into my dummyload and switched to the various settings to hear the relative difference with my voice.  I'm not sure if your rigs have a TX monitor function, but if not, you could always ask for "on air" reports with fellow hams.  The various settings on the TS-480 do change the audio profile, and what works for one operator will likely be different for others due to different voice profiles. 

I use the stock mic for my 480 the majority of the time, and I've never had any complaints about the audio quality.  I do have a Heil headset, and it works great also.  Again, using the TX monitor function, I like the audio a little better with the Heil headset, but they both work great.

Wane - KB7FSC
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 12:28:44 PM »

I do not use FP on my 570 or 480 and never got favorable feed back when I tried it. 

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computing technology and change with it or cling to past and fall further behind everyday....
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 03:46:28 AM »

I never use format pass but I have tried it. It sounds as if I am pinching my nose. I only use conventional on my 570. For me it has the best sound and the best gain on SSB.
W5SRT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 07:11:39 AM »

I played around with the TX Eq settings on my 590 and settled on "Hb2" as my default TX Eq setting.  I have a bassy voice, so the high-boost adds needed crispness.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: