Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TheAntennaFarm.com they any good for MARS/CAP mod?  (Read 10578 times)
KF7OCD

Ignore
« on: May 02, 2011, 05:57:56 PM »

So on the 19th I sent in my Kenwood TH-F6A to get the MARS/CAP mod done on it, I sent it to www.theantennafarm.com and so far I am NOT impressed with the service at all and I am wondering what kind of experiences others have had with them if any because I can't find any reviews on them anywhere.

Why am I pissed?

Well It has been over 7 biz days since they have had it and still they have not got it done and they claimed to have a "super fast turn around", not the case. Also I paid online and even sent a copy of the paid invoice with the radio and I get an email asking for my credit card number for payment, mmmmm dude, I already paid.

This lack of attention to detail and slow service make me question if I even want these people to take apart my radio at all. Sure it's just a radio however I am on a disaster response team and I need that radio to work flawlessly and transmit outside of the normal ham bands.

Yes I work as a EMT and I am used to getting things done quickly but with much precision but if this guy does can't my mod done this week I am going to have him ship it back to me and I am going to go else where.  Angry
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 12:39:08 PM »

Sorry to burst your bubble, but your proposed out-of-band use of your HT is illegal.

There is no radio service that allows the use of modified amateur VHF/UHF radios except the Military Affiliate Radio System (MARS) and that requires a separately issued MARS license. Use of your HT on fire, LE and S&R frequencies is not only illegal according to FCC rules, but can cost you your amateur radio license.

If you want/need a radio to cover those frequencies, there are hundreds of inexpensive, used radios at hamfests, local radio shops and other sources that will work, legally, on them.

Additionally, if whatever service you plan on using your modified HT with gets caught by the FCC allowing you to do so, that service can lose THEIR license, as well
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 06:46:48 PM by W3LK » Logged

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 09:48:52 AM »

Simple , do the modification yourself which takes a grand total of 3 minutes and if you google it , the MARS/CAP mods for anything are posted all over for free...

First thing 99% of hams do with their new equipment is the MARS/CAP modification.

The simple fact, people get it wrong. MARS/CAP is a generic term for opening up the radio from DC-daylight. All ham radios are designed for wideband operations so they can sell them in other countries and it does NOT lessen the radios functionality in ANY way. 60 meter mod , good example. 60 is legal now so MARS/CAP (slang) enables it BUT its really not MARS/CAP its "Widebanding" the radio.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 10:10:10 AM by N4ATS » Logged
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 12:13:46 PM »

Yeah I know about that however my MARS application is in process plus the fact that I already very actively volunteer with a government based emergency response origination (King County Public Health Medical Reserve Corps) and me I don't like carrying three radios when all I need is one that is unlocked to do GMRS, HAM and VHF/UHF commercial/government. Yeah I would never transmit on a LE frequency (duh) and me I highly doubt the FCC would have a problem with me having an unlocked radio.  Grin

Thank you for the heads up however.

What you are affiliated with has absolutely no bearing on anything. Use of a amateur radio on anything but the ham bands (with the exceptions of MARS) is illegal. You can be a Federal agent, the mayor of NYC or anything else - none of those allow you to operate your HT outside FCC regulations.

The problem is NOT having an unlocked radio - the problem is TRANSMITTING outside the ham bands with said radio.

There's always some ham who thinks the rules don't apply to him. I put you in that category.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 02:50:49 PM »

If you're affiliated with a group that expects you to use a radio, it's up to THEM to provide you with a radio certificated for that particular use, and it's up to you to use THAT radio when working with that group.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 04:10:06 PM »

with a  commercial radio.. programmed to  include  some  ham frequencys,  would do the trick,,  how ever,,
with one radio  you get to listen to basically  one frequency..

hence multiple radios,  multiple frequencys..
the  GMRS  is so light  it doesnt count.
so a small  hamband transceiver,   plus  your  commercial one for that function..

I'd go for multiple radios..

KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 05:46:37 PM »

Hi,

The use of the radio out of band is the problem, you can own as many as you like.

Amateur HT are designed for amateur frequencies, to operate them outside
of these frequencies may result in unreliable performance.
Why put yourself and the lives of others at risk, not counting any FCC issues.

Perhaps the real reason is so you don't want to spend money for the right radios?

73 james

Yeah I would never transmit on a LE frequency (duh) and me I highly doubt the FCC would have a problem with me having an unlocked radio.  Grin
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 05:50:16 PM by KE4DRN » Logged
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 06:57:38 AM »

All your fish in one basket - and you are emcomm? 

Right. 

AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 07:24:37 PM »

N4ATS:
First thing 99% of hams do with their new equipment is the MARS/CAP modification.
Hmmm, wonder where THAT empirical data comes from??

In 25+ years of hamming I have never found it necessary, nor even been tempted,
for ANY reason whatsoever, to perform even ONE one of these ridiculous, so called "MARS/CAP Mods".
And I am QUITE CERTAIN that I far from being in a "One percent minority" in this regard!
What a PATHETIC JOKE these fakers are!

IF 1/100th of the people posting on that they "need this mod because
I am going into Encomms"
ACTUALLY DID GO INTO ENCOMMS,
then ARES, RACES, RED Cross, SKYWARN, ARRL Encomm Overlords, etc
would be over flooded with volunteers.

(Wannabees in Orange Vests) LOL!
Kiss

Come on, lets call them what they REALLY are:
"Operate where you have no privileges mods!" Grin
Lets at least be THAT candid!!

73, Ken  AD6KA
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 11:56:57 AM »

Yep , and you are one of the 1%, Congrads! However if you want to get on 60 meters , you TO will do the wideband modifications to your radio...

Cheers
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 11:58:40 AM by N4ATS » Logged
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 12:02:09 PM »

Yep , and you are one of the 1%, Congrads! However if you want to get on 60 meters , you TO will do the wideband modifications to your radio...

Not if you bought a radio made in the last eight years that includes 60m.  Then there's no need.

Besides, this thread is about a VHF/UHF radio and its proposed illegal use on other VHF/UHF radio services.

The first reply says it all:

Quote from: W3LK
There is no radio service that allows the use of modified amateur VHF/UHF radios except the Military Affiliate Radio System (MARS) and that requires a separately issued MARS license

If you use a wide-banded VHF/UHF ham handheld in other radio services, you're breaking the law.  We can discuss the reasons for that law and whether or not they're legitimate (possible legitimate reason: maybe commercial rigs have tighter emissions restrictions?  possible illegitimate reason: radio mfrs can charge a premium for the same hardware if there are such laws, and might lobby for them)   And we can choose to break that law and hope we don't get caught... or hope we DO get caught so we can bring attention to what we think is a stupid law.

But in the end, nearly all uses for a widebanded VHF ham radio are against the law, and KF7OCD already admitted that he intends to use his radio in an illegal way. 
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 12:10:56 PM by N3OX » Logged

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 04:03:06 PM »

That's not really my point , if you read the thread above , I am clarifying that most hams get MARS/CAP and Widebanding mixed up even though they are one in the same.

I agree 100% , you should not TX out of band but I assure you "most" hams want the  "out of band" capability , hands down... Seeing that I have been repairing radios for well over thirty years as a hobby , I hear it "all the time.

Kenwood , Yaesu and Icom ALL state for 60 meters , do a "certain mod"OR you can send it in and they will do it for you..... Oh well.

Cheers
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 01:01:21 AM »

So the simplest answer is to get a VHF/UHF radio that is certified for Part-90 use.  "Ain't no such animal!"... oh yes there is.
Paul
WG7X

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 08:37:25 AM »

That's not really my point , if you read the thread above , I am clarifying that most hams get MARS/CAP and Widebanding mixed up even though they are one in the same.

I agree 100% , you should not TX out of band but I assure you "most" hams want the  "out of band" capability , hands down... Seeing that I have been repairing radios for well over thirty years as a hobby , I hear it "all the time.

Cheers

Cheers Indeed...

While I can't personally refute your anecdotal evidence about enabling extended transmit for other hams, I can agree that it is both illegal and poor judgement. If you have been doing this sort of work for the period mentioned, do you ever wonder what might happen if one of the radios you modified was ever used in such a way that it would reflect on you?

I don't think that I would want all the freebanders beating a path to my door simply because word on the street indicated that I was the "go to guy" for such modifications.

So I am one of the doubters about "all of us" wanting the illegal modifications. Your opinion is based on self-selection. In other words, you see more of these guys wanting the modifications done because you have put yourself in that position, either through direct advertising or good old word-of-mouth.

So yes, the KF7 is wrong in his desire to operate on part 90 frequencies with his HT. IF we as hams cannot even observe the most basic of rules, how will we fare?

Poorly. Personally I see this as yet another piece of evidence on where the new emphasis on "EMCOMM" is leading us, and I don't like it.

73 Gary
N3JBH

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 10:28:34 AM »

I got involved in a local EMMCOM here and was shocked by there self importance attitude. The was chasing every thing from the military to the cub scout's.
They had vest and badges even a van with light's and siren. I think i know where that was heading and i got the heck out of it FAST !!! A badge and glowing orange vest don't make me a professional and i certainly was not about to pretend to be one.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: