Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Landscape Wire In Place of Rotor Cable  (Read 663 times)
KD5PGA

Ignore
« on: May 04, 2011, 04:44:03 PM »

Does anyone have experience with using landscape wire in place of rotor cable?  I'm looking at a 350-ft run between controller and rotor.

WD8T

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 05:01:38 PM »

I've only used standard rotor cable and only about a 75' run.  I'm pretty sure it won't matter what wire you use in a 350' length.  Your enemy is going to the voltage drop over the 350 run.  I know there are voltage drop calculators on the internet if you search.
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 05:11:12 PM »

The critical factor is the size of the cables carrying the power to the motor - these have to be large
enough so the motor gets enough voltage at full current draw.  This will depend on they type of rotator
that you are using and the gauge of the wire in your cable, but at 350' the common multi-conductor wire
used for wiring sprinklers probably has too much resistance for the rotator to turn properly.

You might be able to use larger wire for the motor connections and the multi-conductor wire for the
rest of the circuits, since they carry different currents.
KD5PGA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 05:40:59 PM »

I should have mentioned that I am considering 2-12 and 6-16 gauge wires.  Or will the 16 result in too much resistance?

I appreciate the input!
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 06:24:17 PM »

I assume you plan to use a HAM-M type rotor.  If you have a 350 foot cable run, I feel that 2ea #12 wires and 6ea #16 wires will be the absolute minimum wire gage to use.  MFJ bought out the HAM-M rotor manufacturing rights.  Maybe a call to them explaining your problem will get the answer you need.

If the rotor has not been installed, hook up one end of your 350 foot cable to the control box and the other end to the rotor and see if the brake releases and if the rotor turns.

Dick  AD4U
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: