Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Contesting and Golf are Boring  (Read 2482 times)
AC2Q

Ignore
« on: November 17, 2008, 10:22:26 AM »

But people enjoy both, even though
I cannot fathom why =0)

But then again I don't have to understand.

As far as your Net being QRM'ed by contesters, I have seldom found an instance where I cannot filter them out with my Omni V or Pegasus.

I think most of the folks that complain about those sort of things just have poor gear.

Regarding most of the Nets I am on, we keep talking, and the Contesters move away.
KI9A

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 03:56:01 AM »

What boring life you must lead. You troll the contesting forums, and post useless, anti-contes posts. This isn't the first time you have done this. Talk about boring..maybe you should take up golf, and troll the golf forums whining about that activity.

Be gone, troll.
AC2Q

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 10:00:56 AM »

Gosh Chuck, shouldn't you be off QRM'ing a Net or something?

KI9A

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 04:49:28 PM »

Only if you were part of the net!

Time to spread the anti-troll powder again..
KB9WQJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 05:20:40 AM »

Instead of some of the other new forums eHam has added maybe they should create one called "Trolling and Bitching about Contesting"
KI9A

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 07:37:49 PM »

This KF8ZN clown is so ate up with the anti-contest BS, he posts the SAME ezact post at QRZ.com.  
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 08:00:21 AM »

Your troll has been duly noted.  However:  

I'm sorry, but your comments must be in the form of a question.  Thank you for playing.
WB4TJH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 07:07:48 AM »

I will admit I am not fond of constests because I find the repetition boring after a while. Also, anyone can have a top contest station if he has the money to spend, so it seems it becomes a matter of who has "more". However, golf is out of doors, constantly challenging, and to me, never boring. I have been playing since I was a kid. You also get to spend a few hours in  beautiful surroundings with friends. My golfing buddies also happen to be all hams. So we not only talk golf, but amateur radio.
G0OTT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 01:23:56 PM »

Both are a challenge to ones-self so maybe this is your problem?
I'm into golf, have been for years.
I try the odd contest.
WARC always available if you dont like it!
73 Darren g0ott
WA9AFM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 11:29:33 AM »

Tried golf once, but kept falling of the golf cart.  Ham radio is much safer.
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 02:26:14 PM »

Fresh air, natural Vitamin D, real face-to-face conversations, a modicum of exercise... Golf has it all over contesting.

But I still contest too!
WA8UEG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 08:21:31 PM »

I love golf, also bowling as well as flying (I have a Cessna 172), fishing, hunting, restoring old sports cars (I have a Austin Healy and a TR3), motorcycles (Harley Sportster and Honda 350-4). What I like most is Amateur Radio. Why? because it has everything for everybody. Competitive? You have contests, Awards, etc. There is also public service, special event stations, rag chewing, digital modes, slow scan, moon bounce, building equipment as well as antennas,etc, etc. There is somthing for everyone and the more you get involved in the various aspects the more you will appriciate the great hobby we have. AND YES, if there is a contest you can go many other places and operate. This weekend try PSK31 or RTTY or WARC or CW or,or,or. The only negative to the hobby is those that are so short sighted that they feel their interests are more important and more part of the hobby then others and feel compeled to QRM a rare DX station, complain about a contest or jam a net. Sorry, I just don't get it. I am willing to listen to why anyone feels justified. I do, on average, 2 contests a year. I run a FT1000MP and a 1960's MKII amp to a 3 ele yagi, not a contest station but I have fun doing it and that's what counts. My suggestion, tune in to 20 meters this week end at say 11 AM eastern and see what activity is on, then tune in next weekend at the same time and compare. Again, if we are to survive isin't activity on the bands a good thing? If your not into contest's and are complaining then you have time to commit. Instead of complaining then take the time to teach a course at a boy/girl scout meeting, help out at your local school's ham club, join your local WX net, put up an antenna for the WARC bands, operate CW or any of the other modes not affected by a contest etc,etc. PLEASE don't tell me that there are Hams out there that are only capable of operating one mode, that would be sad. This post is not at anyone individual but to those it pertains to. Amateur Radio is a complex hobby made up of many various interests, every Amateur should respect all aspects of the hobby and the hams that enjoy them. If you just can't, then my suggestion is take up a hobby that doesen't require adaption like stamp collecting.
KB3HJK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 07:55:05 AM »

Contests are a great way for little pistols to many DX conacts. Not everybody is mid-big gun. I love contests.

Golf, on the other hand, is not a hobby, it is a religion. One which I constantly strive for perfection, and never achieve.
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 08:24:39 PM »

I used not to like contesting either. Then I tried one. Lot's of fun. I don't take it too seriously, I just kind of "play in them". I submit my logs even though I know I'll never win or even place very well. I just figure why not complete the job.
 Funny thing is one day I actually got a certificate in the mail from the ARRL. I was the top multi op station in the Ga. section in the ARRL 10 meter contest one year. ( Even though I'm a single op I had to enter multi op category because I used a telnet spotting network.)
 My XYL and I got a kick out of that. I figure I must have been the only guy in Ga. operating that category in the 10 meter contest that weekend!!...hi hi..
 As for golf, always wanted to try it, just never had the time.
Michael
KG6MZS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 10:31:31 AM »

>>>>Regarding most of the Nets I am on, we keep talking, and the Contesters move away.<<<<

LOL!  You think contests are boring and you are on NETS!?

That is funny.  Underlines the fact that what we are talking about here is a *subjective* reality.

And it isn' like I've never heard a net come on "their" frequency at "their" time without regard for whoever might already be on frequency.

Can't we all get along? or are silent bands really what we want to find every time we power up?

As far as golf goes, I am starting to worry myself.  I actully turned on The Masters this weekend and found it relaxing... Good white noise to snooze on the couch to.  A sure sign of impending geezerdom.

73 de Eric KG6MZS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: