Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adhesive Shrink Tube  (Read 6693 times)
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 11:28:46 PM »

To do plain PL 259 and type N connectors, You need 1 inch.  But just WHY do you want to get it in a roll?
The product you need and want does not come on a roll!

If you need a low cost source, Make friends with your local cable TV splicers!
AF6D

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2011, 03:13:34 AM »

To do plain PL 259 and type N connectors, You need 1 inch.  But just WHY do you want to get it in a roll?
The product you need and want does not come on a roll!

If you need a low cost source, Make friends with your local cable TV splicers!

Because I need A LOT of it! I am making all new cables inside and outside of the shack. Some PL-259; some N.
G7MRV

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 12:28:48 PM »

How much you need is irrelevant, its how long a continuous section you need thats important. If the longest contiguous length needed is less than the lengths supplied, you have to cut it anyway.

Are you just sealing the connectors, or are you intending to sleeve the entire cable run in a continuous sheath?

It sounds like your trying too hard to save a few bucks by buying a bulk roll. Theres no advantage for the manufacturer to supply it that way as thats not its commonest end use.

All getting a roll does is add extra cuts to make

AF6D

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2011, 12:52:12 AM »

How much you need is irrelevant, its how long a continuous section you need thats important. If the longest contiguous length needed is less than the lengths supplied, you have to cut it anyway.

Are you just sealing the connectors, or are you intending to sleeve the entire cable run in a continuous sheath?

It sounds like your trying too hard to save a few bucks by buying a bulk roll. Theres no advantage for the manufacturer to supply it that way as thats not its commonest end use.

All getting a roll does is add extra cuts to make

I would like to buy adhesive shrink tube in bulk. Respectfully, how I choose to cut it or use it is irrelevant. I am making many cables and buying in bulk does make sense. I found clear at .13 a foot compared to 4 foot sections at .65 a foot. 25 cables at .13 is $6.50. 25 cables at .65 is $32.50. I'd prefer to save $26 and perhaps cut the remainder into 4 foot sections. Smiley
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2011, 10:13:10 PM »

I am very confidant that the "clear" at .13 cents a foot is NOWHERE near the quality, Or thickness of the product I have been talking about.
It only takes about 4 to 6 inches maximum for each connector. So a single 48 inch length of heat shrink will make 8 to 12 connections.  With good quality heat shrink, One inch overlap on the coax is more than enough......
AF6D

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2011, 03:27:01 PM »

I wish to be as polite and respectful as possible. But I am going to say what many people on many web sites feel. When one asks a question one usually wants an answer to the question and not multiple alternate solutions. Although this may lend itself to some questions it doesn't usually to direct questions.  My questions was where to buy 500 foot rolls of adhesive shrink tube. Assuming that clear shrink tube at .13 a foot based on a 500 foot roll at $69.99 compared to to .69 a foot in 4 foot sections cannot be of quality is irrelevant and unfair as an assumption. I am finding the average per foot is .69 in small 3-4 foot lengths. I am making cables for myself and for our club members. I bought LMR400, RG213, RG214, and RG8X in bulk for this reason. I plan to resell the excess and I was very specific about my question.

With that said I'd like to sincerely thank those of you that responded with alternative ideas like using RTV and then shrink tube over the top. Our mountain community and several repeaters get pounded by driving rain (90+mph) and heavy ice and snow. I just pulled a VHF line and found that it was soaked on the inside and it was properly sealed. Thank you all for your best of intentions and desire to help.
N3JBH

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2011, 04:57:32 PM »

With all due respect to the conversation please do not take this as i am trying to recommend some thing here. But i wonder the actual quality of some that stuff that is rolled up. reason why is i have some 1/2 inch adhesive lined shrink tube here (brand new too) that is so thick walled and flooded with sealant/adhesive that it would be next to impossible to roll it into any reasonable sized roll. And after you shrink the stuff it is really hard to even bend it period. This stuff is very very stiff !!! And if i was serious about weather proofing some thing for adverse weather i am almost certain i use a product like this  if i wanted to use heat shrink.  But hey they guy don't want sticks he wants rolls so sorry i was not able to add any helpful information here. But what i did do was call Newark Electronics told them i wanted the toughest most heavy duty shrink they could get they was really helpful. Maybe a call to them could net you some thing as well. Ok back to your normally scheduled programing... Jeff
AF6D

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2011, 07:50:18 PM »

With all due respect to the conversation please do not take this as i am trying to recommend some thing here. But i wonder the actual quality of some that stuff that is rolled up. reason why is i have some 1/2 inch adhesive lined shrink tube here (brand new too) that is so thick walled and flooded with sealant/adhesive that it would be next to impossible to roll it into any reasonable sized roll. And after you shrink the stuff it is really hard to even bend it period. This stuff is very very stiff !!! And if i was serious about weather proofing some thing for adverse weather i am almost certain i use a product like this  if i wanted to use heat shrink.  But hey they guy don't want sticks he wants rolls so sorry i was not able to add any helpful information here. But what i did do was call Newark Electronics told them i wanted the toughest most heavy duty shrink they could get they was really helpful. Maybe a call to them could net you some thing as well. Ok back to your normally scheduled programing... Jeff

Actually, your comments are completely fair and appropriate. I've learned that when buying anything on eBay one flips a coin and this is one reason I am trying to source from a distributor. My comments were coming more from experiences like, "What is the best way to build a 1/4 wave ground plane antenna?" and getting replies like, "Why bother. It's cheaper to go buy a 5/8 wave." "But I live in a deed restricted area..." "Try a J-pole instead. Better gain." "But I can't hide one on my roof in my deed restricted area..." "Maybe you should put it in your attic instead..." "But I don't have an attic." LOL It happens on all the boards. Come on now. Those of you sitting back cursing me for being honest know that I'm right. Smiley We so easily stray off topic and away from the question.

Our repeater antenna is up at 80 feet and we don't want to screw around with it. We want to do it right first time (well, at least the last time Smiley ) We were shocked to unseal it and find water in the N connector. It's a DB-224 and it surprises me to begin with that it terminates in a N male that requires an adapter. The only thing that we can think of is that they expected us to put a lightning arrestor at that intersection. But as you all know, with every connector and adapter is another point of entry. I wonder if there is like a boot assembly...
WA4VBC

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2011, 12:10:44 PM »

The DB-224 is a great antenna and it is no surprize that the connector is a N type that is superior to less expensive types. They did not expect you to put a lightning arrestor at the junction. They expected you would use a matching N connector on the coax.  Sid.
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2011, 08:30:02 PM »

The DB 224 is a great antenna and they did NOT expect anyone to install a lightning arrestor at that point!

The normal installation uses a short (3 to 6 foot long or so) "Jumper" of usually 1/2" Heliax with a female type N connector at the antenna end, Connected to the (Usually) 7/8" or so heliax running down the tower leg.  Both connectors sealed with a short 6 inch or so length of the heavy duty adhesive heat shrink, Or the thick mastic supplied with such connectors.

Lightning arrestors belong at the entrance point to the building.

AF6D

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2011, 11:31:47 PM »

The DB 224 is a great antenna and they did NOT expect anyone to install a lightning arrestor at that point!

The normal installation uses a short (3 to 6 foot long or so) "Jumper" of usually 1/2" Heliax with a female type N connector at the antenna end, Connected to the (Usually) 7/8" or so heliax running down the tower leg.  Both connectors sealed with a short 6 inch or so length of the heavy duty adhesive heat shrink, Or the thick mastic supplied with such connectors.

Lightning arrestors belong at the entrance point to the building.

We're going off topic, but isn't the lightning arrestor supposed to be grounded to the base of the tower? I could never seriously imagine a lightning arrestor up at the antenna because it might be quite a climb to replace that dang plug or strip. But why would one insert a jumper when one can attach the 7/8" directly to the DB-224? There's more than enoughh tail on the harness to do that and taking the weight of the cable off by bonding the 7/8" at the top of the tower. Not that we've been able to find the bonding kit... you remember -- the clamp around that attached to the tower but penetrated the cable sheeth and then sealant over it?
KB1UAS

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2011, 09:14:42 AM »

I usually get my heat shrink from my local electrical supply house it is in 4ft lengths and could not be rolled up do to it being so darn tough I have even used a few pieces on the diamond antenna where the metal nuts used to be to prevent moisture from getting in.There may be a thinner less expensive one out there but I can tell you for what I do (Building battery cables for solar systems) I really like the heavy stuff.
AF6D

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2011, 07:14:36 PM »

Needing some today I paid .84 foot. 5 feet, $5.95. 3/4" fits nicely on a PL-259.
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2011, 11:05:17 PM »

You can't find the bonding kits?Huh  They are all over Ebay.  Here is one for only 8 bucks:

http://cgi.ebay.com/241088-6-Andrew-Standard-Grounding-Kit-1-2-Heliax-/230625609052?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b25b855c

AND it looks like it comes complete WITH the mastic sealing kit too!  No heat shrink needed!

NO, Lightning arrestors do not go at the base of the tower.  They are installed right where the coax feedline enters the building.......
AF6D

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2011, 02:01:31 AM »

Dang. It's for 1/2" and I want to use 7/8". I know that it is only .4dB difference per 100 feet but I need to eek out every dB of receive that I can. Our system is primarily for HT's.

As for the mail connector on the DB-224 I was just surprised. Every antenna I have ever bought has a female connector. I just used a coupler but I don't like couplers as a general rule.

I've been able to find shrink tube by the roll but not adhesive.

Oh well... I sincerely appreciate the input.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: