Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where Is Everybody?  (Read 3226 times)
KK4BXO

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2011, 02:32:20 PM »

VHF/UHF activity has been on the decline for years. .....
Welcome to our wonderful declining hobby.  I have no explanation for it.

I would see an incentive for the more experienced operators to keep interest in these bands,and keep an interest in the hobby. As I have seen with other activities where interest declines,so does the participation by manufactureres etc who no longer have the incentive to produce. Just my .02
KI4AX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2011, 12:14:37 PM »

After having been out of the hobby for 21 years I can say that in the area where I live there seems to be more traffic on 2 meters. I live on the West Coast of Florida in the shadow of the 146.64 repeater which is located in Holiday Florida on the Channel 10 TV tower. The tower is approx. 1500 feet with the repeater antenna at about 500 feet (don't quote me on exact accuracy).

Anyone that has been in the Tampa Bay area should be somewhat familiar with this repeater since it has coverage over about five counties and is very busy. I know there are a lot more people that listen to this machine than talk on it. I don't mean to be derogatory but I am going to say it like it is.... some times the 64 machine is worse than channel 19 on the CB. Because of the change in the code requirement for licensing there are a lot of ex-CB operators that have moved to 2 meters. Now I my self, just like a lot of other people, are ex-CB operators (25 years ago) but the reason I studied theory and code (required when I got my license) was to get away from the crap that was happening on the CB. You remember don't you? Linear fights, cursing, drunk people on the air, complete chaos, people talking for hours on end with out relinquishing the frequency to others, etc. From at least 2:00 pm to 10:00 pm it is difficult to get a word in edgewise on the 64 machine. I'm not sure what it was, the code requirement possibly, but when they made it easier to get a license they let a lot more people on the air that did not care if they were a LID operator or not. Now, it seems like no one knows or even cares what LID means!

So now, at least in the case of the 64 machine, channel 19 has migrated to 2 meters. As a result of this situation, I have switched to a repeater that has a whole lot less traffic and I don't do a lot of talking. And I know for a fact that there is a lot of hams that have left 2 meters for the same reason... they say it has become too much like CB. I have a buddy in Orlando that says he hasn't been on 2 meters in 10 years... he says there is too much crap to contend with. I personally have not given up on 2 meters yet.... but if it gets like the 64 machine on other repeaters I just might. Perhaps this is what is happening to 2 meters. 
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: