Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: old "puppet saterday morning show , supercar, remember?  (Read 3566 times)
KG4YMC

Ignore
« on: May 17, 2011, 09:50:09 PM »

Oh, no, I am having a  trivial  attack, does anybody remember the show " supercar" ? I was thinking of it when see the commercial of " flo" on progressive  insurance . "mike nelsons puppet hair never got messed up . think how much  cheaper they could have done star wars with monofiliment  and puppets hi hi . wonder if it is on dvds? actually about same time there was Thunderbirds, better and was on BBC awail . wish they would bring back mystery science Theator was funny with robots ... anyway  Just   something light again,  old movie tv buff. kg4ymc 
TANAKASAN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 12:13:47 PM »

I grew up watching most of these. Supercar was the first closely followed by Fireball XL-5, Gerry Anderson then switched to color and produced Stingray, Thunderbirds, Joe-90 and finally Captain Scarlet. What killed 'Supermarionation' were cartoons but I have many happy memories.

Tankasan
KG4YMC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 04:27:13 PM »

sombody else admited watching this ?, we wasted our youth , ha ha . kg4ymc Cheesy ever read magus robot fighter, and space family robinson comics,? those were actually good ?
NK6Q

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 10:13:27 AM »

Oh boy, does this thread ever hit home!  Talk about a wasted youth stuck in front of the boob tube (I coulda been something, instead of a bum, which is what I am), especially Saturday Morning!  On school-days, my mom would have to pry me out of bed, but on Saturday I would pop up like a piece of toast at some ungodly early hour and run downstairs to turn on our old black and white TV...  and watch the test pattern for a half-hour until the first program came on: Modern Farmer; and we lived in NE New Jersey!!

Yep, loved Supercar (remember Dr. Beaker?), Firebird XL-5 (I had a model of the XL-5 and even to this day I can hum the show's song).  It's no wonder that by 1 PM on Saturdays this 8 year-old kid had a raging migraine.

Bill in Pasadena, NK6Q
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 10:46:26 AM »

Gee Tom, I think I'll stay home and watch you on the TV.

Mighty Manfred the wonder dog

Terriffic!!!!
KG4YMC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 12:47:27 PM »

OH, NO look what  I started, was there really a show called Manferd  the wonder dog? I guess growing up watching " Superchicken" explains a lot . ah, and Wackey racers, Dudly do right and Fratured   fairy tales and  the birth of the bad pun, Rockey and Bullwinkle. In the good old day before netfilix, after the news the tv sations would show old monster movies, some local stations would have a guy dressed as frankenstein, in  orlando we had channel 9 theator x.  used to stay up late, go armstrong the old wingard antenna in ocala, try and get a good monster movie from the tv sations in jacksonville , ok having trival fit  again. I used toalso go fishing witha boat and motor dad had that youhad to turn around for reverse, old johnson outboards.   one last thing... I remember , verticle hold and horizonal hold adj on tvs. " its 11 oclock, do you know were your children are? I can see them  putting that on mtv ha ha .   Kg4ymc       oh, just remembered ,it was Tom slick   also.    ok, going to the way back machine now , bye   
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 02:09:46 PM »

The show was Tom Terrific a magical boy who could make himself into anything he wanted.
Manfred (not Manferd) was his dog who was a slacker and didn't want to join Tom in his adventures but just stay home and watch him on TV.  Tom's arch enemy was Crabby Appleson.
You probably never heard of Roger Ramjet either.
You probably get more exercise if you misspend your youth in a pool hall instead of watching
TV and playing video games.
Allen
KG4YMC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 09:21:40 PM »

Hey, guy, go easy on me , Having good laugh, In my time the high tec vidio game was " pong" remember getting the paddles in such a way the ball  would go back and forth, didn't take much to amuse us back then, next step up from cave drawing .Bill, that explains california hi hi ... just kidding. OH, was gary Anderson the same Anderson   that did the tv show invaders? guess I can look that up , ?   Hey if I hadn't spent some of my youth on the atari 2600 playing missle command , they might not have " tear down this wall " . OH, BY THE WAY , I can play a good game of eight ball or routation , we did have a pool table, classic with leather pockets and real slate, parentst  sold with house, but differnt story.. kg4ymc    should have spent my youth on spell check , sorry, see why I got this keyboard used for 5 dollars from computer guy ... should have got heathkit or mfj brand ?
KK4AMP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 06:57:33 AM »

As others have mentioned, Anderson created a whole bunch of Super Marionation shows. I've read somewhere that the puppet format was used to drastically reduce the production costs. Smaller sets, fewer actors, etc, etc. As Anderson went from series to series, the craft was refined and the puppets became more realistic. Finally, someone believed enough in Anderson so he got some better funding and we got the motion picture Journey to the Far Side of the Sun, and then the series UFO and Space:1999.  There are rumors of a re-imagined UFO movie ( http://ufo-themovie.com/UFO/Home.html ) in the works!

...and yeah, I remember Tom Terriffic and Mighty Manfred also, but just barely. I dug the funnel... err.. thinking cap.  Smiley

NK6Q

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 08:22:27 AM »

Of course, for all of us who remember Super Car, Thunderbirds, etc., etc., Team America: World Police is a pretty cool send-up of that whole puppet action genre.

Bill in Pasadena
KG4YMC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 08:30:49 AM »

hi, again, remember U.F.O. , was good, the aliens wore space suits with  fluid in them. had  sats. that wold zap them on the way in , some got thru. Did it have a series final?  space l999, joke used to be barbra bland, bad actor. kg4ymc guess let this  go  into cyberspace ,guys, keep watching the sky , ITS THEM, !!!1 GOT TO GET THE ANT SPRAY ...QRT
KG4YMC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 07:52:59 PM »

hey good news old monster movie fans, think tcm will have them on thursday nights in june? at 8pm edt.were would old bad sci fi be without monofiliment and sparklers?  Kg4ymc guess this thread can go in the can, been fun guys , thanks again.  KEEP THE ANT SPRAY HANDY, ITS    THEM !!!
W2MV

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 11:12:58 AM »

I remember the kid, the monkey, and Mike Mercury.
So someone else actually watched it?

Yes, Stingray, Planet Patrol, and how about Captain Scarlet (a bit later)?
KG4YMC

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 02:06:34 PM »

Another laugh, and salute to hi Tec, remember the movie serials , radar men from mars? and Gene Artreys radio ranch "TO THE RESCUE'might be great outfit for ham volunteers, ?  no,( yes even before my time, i'm onely 58, they used to wear flower pots on there heads( way before punk group " devo" it looked like , or colander dishes?  loved rocket man, those landing were rough !!! ha ha .no computer menu,  just " up" down" and maybe splat!!! think of his poor double ..  kg4ymc   may have to quit this and check into Geritol, prune juice net , if ever get 75 rig , kidding maybe when turn 60.
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 08:35:07 PM »

Hello, I have the 45 RPM record of the Supercar song. Yes I do remember that program (cartoon).
73s
K2OWK
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: