Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help From Icom 756 Pro Users With Icom AH4 Tuner  (Read 1252 times)
K6SI

Ignore
« on: May 19, 2011, 03:16:20 AM »

Yes, I have read the Pro III manual, and looked at the various menu settings, but still not sure about this....

Question 1 is: I have external (mounted outside at antenna feed point) Icom AH4 auto tuner, so I assume I do not need to use the 756 internal tuner, in fact would NOT want to do so (correct?). Plus I assume if the 756 internal tuner is on, it would confuse the AH4 settings. I would think I would want the 756 internal tuner off, just use the AH4 external tuner. Is this correct? Thanks.

Question 2 is: I cannot figure out with the 756 Pro III menus how to turn OFF the internal tuner, so when I push the 'tune' button it will only activate the external AH4 tuner, and not, not the radio internal tuner. I cannot find menu setting that I am SURE turns off the radio internal tuner, allows me to only use the external AH4 tuner. Thanks.

PS: I have only had the ProIII for few days now, and trying hard to figure this out.

Thanks to any/all for info and advice.  Ken, K6SI

W8VVE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 05:55:17 AM »

Ken...I have a 746Pro and also use the AH-4 tuner sometimes.  In the manual it
told me that if the AH-4 was to be used...it should be used only on a certain antenna
connection...not the other one.  I can't remember which one I hook it to....but the rig senses its there and it works fine.  I believe its ant position #2 but not 100% sure and am not at the shack right now.  Hope this helps...Sam W8VVE
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 05:59:11 AM »

I, too, have the 746pro and AH-4. It's antenna #1 that uses the external tuner, and the internal tuner will only work on antenna #2, if the AH-4 is connected.

It works very well. I have my inverted L hooked up to Ant#1 and it uses the AH-4, and I have a fan dipole on ant#2 and the internal tuner does a nice job of trimming it.

Check the manual for the final word.

73, Geoff
KG6WLS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 06:57:57 AM »

I've the PROIII and if you use an external tuner, it should be on ANT #1 at the rig. The moment you plug in an external Icom auto tuner with the 4 pin molex connector, and the radio & tuner are powered up, the radio will show "EXT" on ANT #1 and by-passes the internal tuner. The TUNE button will activate the external unit. ANT #2 will still utilize the internal tuner. That's how the 746 & 756 radios, that I've had, work by default out of the box.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: