Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vanity or any call change?  (Read 1699 times)
KE3WH

Ignore
« on: May 19, 2011, 09:45:28 AM »

Have you ever considered changing your call but did not? What made you change your mind?

Heres my story:
I had considered it a few times, even filled out the forms once or twice for vanity. The last round, the vanity call I wanted was issued as I was finishing the forms. So I took that as a sign to keep my old call for now lol.
I prefer 1x2, and will keep the 3 as I am in the 3rd call area. And at last look only 2 calls available, neither interest me.
I didn't bother going sequential as it would still be 2x2 anyway.
I do not like 2x1 calls, unless they are real clever, so wont go that route as most hams looking for calls are looking for clever too.
1x3, an option if I can get prefix of DAN, DEH, NCC, or some other personal connection.
2x3, only reason to go that route is to get original call.

How bout u?

Dan

First ticket 1980. Ex KA3EWT, N3DSO.
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 10:53:04 AM »

I put off many times getting a shorter call than my Advanced 2x2 that I had for over 20 years simply because I one, did not want to have to re-identify everything as I used my call almost as part of my name in emails, equipment markings, etc and two, I'm from the old school where you get a call and keep it for what seems forever or when you move to another call area (yes I know it is not part of the rules anymore).

My final decision maker to change calls was when my dad passed away and I had the opportunity to do something to cherish his memory as my father, my mentor and my Elmer in both radio and life. It was then I decided to change calls. Had he not passed on in 2008, I probably would still be KI6LO.

Gene W5DQ (ex-KI6LO)

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 11:08:25 AM »

I got this call in 1977 when I moved to New York state, after 10 years with a 2x3 call. The rules had just changed, and since I'd had an Extra since 1970 I got this one, sequentially issued. The 1x2s in 2-land went fast, too.

In 1979 I moved back to 3-land, and could have gotten a 3-land 1x2. But the rules had changed; FCC was not re-issuing used 1x2s then. So if I gave up my 2-land call for a 3-land call, I'd probably get a 2x1, and nobody would get my old 1x2. So I kept the 2 land 1x2.

Years went by, the rules changed again, but by then I was so used to my call that I didn't want to give it up. Now it's been 34 years. I was the first ham in my family, so there's no call to inherit, either.

73 de Jim, N2EY
KE3WH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 03:24:10 PM »

I got this call in 1977 when I moved to New York state, after 10 years with a 2x3 call. The rules had just changed, and since I'd had an Extra since 1970 I got this one, sequentially issued. The 1x2s in 2-land went fast, too.

In 1979 I moved back to 3-land, and could have gotten a 3-land 1x2. But the rules had changed; FCC was not re-issuing used 1x2s then. So if I gave up my 2-land call for a 3-land call, I'd probably get a 2x1, and nobody would get my old 1x2. So I kept the 2 land 1x2.

Years went by, the rules changed again, but by then I was so used to my call that I didn't want to give it up. Now it's been 34 years. I was the first ham in my family, so there's no call to inherit, either.

73 de Jim, N2EY

I am also the first ham in the family, otherwise I would have jumped on a family call.
Would be good to have one of my kids to inherit my call someday, or more than one.

KB0OXD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 11:54:09 AM »

Believe it or not, I had a chance to land (What would've sounded like) a vanity call simply by changing my call SYSTEMATICALLY one year.  Here's how it all went down.....

When all the N0 1x3 calls were running out, the KB0 2x3 calls were RAPIDLY approaching the KB0Pxx's

I was originally licenced as N0SMW but had a chance to avoid having to go the vanity call route (Not to mention the stigma that existed at the time) simply by submitting another FCC Form 610 & waiting till the new ticket arrived.

Needless to say, I found out how much of a crapshoot that is Cheesy

You see, I was hoping to land KB0PAT (PAT being the shortened version of my name) or KB0PDC (PDC being my initials) but I was off by about a week & wound up with my current call

How many of you can lay claim to this?

Cheers & 73 Cheesy

Pat Cook, KB0OXD
Englewood, CO
WEBSITE | TWITTER | FACEBOOK | APRS TRACKER
KE3WH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 01:52:50 AM »

Believe it or not, I had a chance to land (What would've sounded like) a vanity call simply by changing my call SYSTEMATICALLY one year.  Here's how it all went down.....

When all the N0 1x3 calls were running out, the KB0 2x3 calls were RAPIDLY approaching the KB0Pxx's

I was originally licenced as N0SMW but had a chance to avoid having to go the vanity call route (Not to mention the stigma that existed at the time) simply by submitting another FCC Form 610 & waiting till the new ticket arrived.

Needless to say, I found out how much of a crapshoot that is Cheesy

You see, I was hoping to land KB0PAT (PAT being the shortened version of my name) or KB0PDC (PDC being my initials) but I was off by about a week & wound up with my current call

How many of you can lay claim to this?

Cheers & 73 Cheesy

Closest I came is N3DSO, but I think I knew N3DAN was already taken at that time. Only other shot was N3DEH.

KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 06:20:35 AM »

I just don't have any interest in a Vanity Callsign. 

Don't misinterpret that - its all good as far as I'm concerned.

KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 07:23:37 AM »

By the time I got HF privileges, I already had:

• Call Sign License Plate
  • Domain name with Call Sign
  • QSL cards with Call Sign
  • Various pieces of clothing with Call Sign

So, it was rather expensive to change!
WB2EOD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 09:21:33 AM »

The thought crossed my mind a few years ago.  By the time I got to looking into it, all the "good ones" were taken.

The callsign from my old high school radio club was available for a while but someone else, not connected with the club, grabbed it.  I checked into the faculty adviser's personal call sign but that was taken.
It is proably just as well.  If I had taken either callsign, the OM would probably have turned in his grave. 

I do check the vanityhq site now and then just to see what is available.

On the other hand I have had the EOD suffix since 1968, would be a pity to change it now.

WB2EOD
K7GLM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 12:51:56 PM »

Just lucky here - GLM = initials, and I'm in the 7th area. K7GLM came up and I got it. Easy.  My daughter got her General and K7ANM was available - also her initials and call area. I envy her for the CW weighting though. "ANM" flows pretty well.
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 09:41:05 AM »

It was an easy choice for me......I got in for the second vanity allocation the late 90's and who wants to be a 9 when they start going by the numbers. Time and time again the dx would get to the 7's and then close.

I changed from N9HJV to N1UK. I was no longer living in 9 land then anyway.

Try sending N9HJV on cw....the dx has already worked 2 stations before I finished sending that call once.

73 Mark N1UK
NK6Q

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 06:54:36 PM »

Well, when I passed my Extra I pretty much had it in mind already to go the "vanity" route (what can I say, I'm not proud).

My call sign from my previous exams was KJ6CVO.  Try sending THAT in morse code!  As a CW-only op I wanted something that 1) was available, 2) had a rhythm that would be easy to send and be easier for other ops to copy, 3) had recognizable characters that couldn't be easily mistaken for some other letter (i.e: "EE" in a callsign might easily be heard as "I")

I had my 2X1 callsign before I ever "set foot" on the air.  I guess that makes me a cheater.

Bill in Pasadena, NK6Q
formerly WN2BVN (1967)
formerly WA2HDS (1968)
formerly KJ6CVO (2009)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: