Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Power supplies-Latest feedback  (Read 2474 times)
KB9MDQ

Ignore
« on: May 19, 2011, 10:25:16 AM »

I have cruised the threads and feedback on power supplies and thought updated feedback might be appropriate. My new station will require a PS that will feed a TM-V7A (2/440) as well as my first HF rig which is a TS-440S/AT.

I am considering all including an Astron RS-35M, Samlex SEC1235M, Jetstream JTPS28M, and maybe the Alinco DM330MVT. 

It appears that the once prized linear Astron quality control has decreased in recently with bad soldering, and vibration noise,etc.

The Samlex has mixed reviews with some claiming no RF and others claiming RF.

The Jetstream appears to have zero complaints but few reviews.

The Alinco seems ok plus noise offset dial but price is approaching the Astron. A few have had issues with the Alinco too.

You would think Ps's would be easy to manufacture a dependable quality product. Its not rocket science.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 11:04:29 AM »

I have been using a Astron SS-30 switching power supply for close to 3 years now (bought it at hamvention in 2008)  I recently switched to it exclusively and retired my other Astron linear supply. It is small, light weight and very efficient. Any future supply I buy will be a switch too.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KG6IRW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 04:32:37 PM »

I have had big Astrons and they do, like the Energizer Bunny, keep going and going.   The ones I had also got warm on warm days when in contesting mode as they are convection cooled; one reason they're quiet.  I then purchased one of their switchers but the little fan almost ran me out of the room due to rattling bearings. I relegated it to the repair bench now.

I got tired of dinking with it when I got an Elecraft K3 for Christmas.  (technical term, that:  dink (verb): to futz around with something without application of logical diagnostic discipline) and purchased a Power Werx PS (http://www.powerwerx.com/batteries-chargers/powerwerx-30-amp-desktop-switching-power-supply-powerpoles.html)   It, too, has a little fan but only runs as the current draw goes up and heat sets in.  Since both the Elecraft and the PS have built-in Anderson Power Pole connections, this seemed like a simple way to go.

From a technical standpoint, my theory goes like this:  A linear PS will fail by allowing maximum DC voltage out past the regulator devices and into the load.  The switcher, on the other hand, will drop voltage to 0 when it fails (typical failure mode anyway).  While I still fuse both legs of any DC feed to a radio, I feel that the switcher is a bit safer. 

Of course, the other size and heat generation factors tilt decisions to the swticher.  The little Power Werx box is amazing for the current it can produce.  Oh, and I haven't found RF birdies I can attribute to it, either.  The only nit I have is that the binding posts on the back are not spaced for use with dual-banana plugs.  I use the ground lug there for connection to the station ground anyway.

For loading, I run both the K3/100 for HF as well as a Yaesu FT-857 for U/VHF work in the shack.  They both operate well and I can even key both down as a test for worse-case scenario.  Without looking at the specs for your radios, I'd suspect it would suffice for your needs.

Cheers,

David
KD5FHW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 04:31:53 AM »

My local ham shop only stocks the Jetstream switchers and swears by them.

I personally run an old Astron linear that I got off eBay and I'm completely satisfied with it.

KG6WLS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 11:33:28 AM »

My Astron RS-35M is worth its weight. Bought it second hand and never had a problem since day one. Switchers are nice, but I don't care for the extra fan noise.  Wink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: