The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Petition to ARRL to Conduct Special Election for Southeastern Division Director  (Read 1700 times)
W6EM

Ignore
« on: January 01, 2017, 06:44:08 PM »

I have posted an open petition for members to sign to demand that ARRL conduct a Special Election to allow its members to choose who they wish for Southeastern Division Director.

If enough ARRL members sign this petition, ARRL will pay attention.

Many of us here in the SE Division just learned of the circumstances behind its decision to cancel the Director election from Doug Rehman's farewell message to us all last night.  The reasons for ARRL doing so were wrong and display its displeasure of Doug, K4AC, the now-former incumbent Director, for pointing out allegations of impropriety.  The Board failed to investigate his claims in timely fashion.  There clearly was adequate time before the election to ascertain if his claims were accurate.

Instead, it chose to cancel the election and instead appoint his opponent.

To sign the petition, click on the link  tinyurl.com/gvjy6q4

« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 07:04:40 PM by W6EM » Logged
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 05:44:58 AM »

And as I stated... elsewhere... in response to a similar post...

Signing the petition may make you feel better, but keep in mind that the ARRL Board has absolutely NO reason to pay any attention to a petition generated from outside the organization.   I predict that they Board as a whole will officially ignore it.

If you (as an ARRL member & especially if you are in the Southeast Division) want something done at this point in time, you need to contact your Director -- for that matter, all of the Directors -- and tell them.  Directly.

A petition can be ignored.  10,000 or more emails, with more coming, well, that's not so easy to laugh off.  Especially when each of the 15 Directors get that many emails.

Even so... I regret to point out that the non-election happened in the beginning of October.  The new Director has officially taken office as of yesterday.  So the outrage may be... too little, too late.  Had this been addressed a month, 2 months ago, I'd be more positive about something being done.  Now it's pretty much a moot point.
N1FM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 07:54:02 AM »

Transparency's never outdated; never a moot point; and if ARRL isn't listening to members, that's a HUGE problem.

"As of now, there is distrust, anxiety and anger expressed especially by ARRL members of its Southeastern Division that are aware of the circumstances."

http://tinyurl.com/gvjy6q4

"It’s interesting to see that most of these consumers don’t believe that they’re getting as much truth and transparency as they should be from corporations. The public wants to engage in causes they care about. Companies do, too, albeit for slightly different reasons. Neither wants to be involved in a campaign that has something to hide. That’s why the transparency of your cross-sector partnership is crucial. Transparency means telling the truth about your organization, your partnership, and your goals."

http://www.thenonprofittimes.com/news-articles/importance-transparency/

"The Chronicle of Philanthropy has reported that in the U.S. about 35 percent of people don't trust charities. The good news is that there are lots of people who do feel good about the work nonprofits do. The bad news is that there is a considerable number who feel suspicious.

If bad news about your organization appears in the media, consider your donors your most important audience. Get to them quickly with the facts and reassure them that you have things under control. Always be prepared for a crisis with an emergency plan and a communications plan.

Make your donors your best friends. Find ways to include your most reliable donors in your inner circle. Invite them to serve on your board, provide them with opportunities to volunteer their expertise, consult them on big changes."

https://www.philanthropy.com/article/1-in-3-Americans-Lacks-Faith/233613

[edit:spelling]
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 08:01:17 AM by N1FM » Logged
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 11:54:57 AM »

If you (as an ARRL member & especially if you are in the Southeast Division) want something done at this point in time, you need to contact your Director -- for that matter, all of the Directors -- and tell them.  Directly.

A petition can be ignored.  10,000 or more emails, with more coming, well, that's not so easy to laugh off.  Especially when each of the 15 Directors get that many emails.

I guess it all boils down to this:  is it worth the $40 a year for a monthly ad book and access to the online historical technical collection?  I suppose.  But, if  I’m still kick’in 3 years down the road, I know who won’t get my vote.

Let’s see, if I were to write to everybody else on the Board, the President and CEO, it would be sort of like writing to everyone else’s Congressman.  File 13 or automatically trashed.  Worthless, as the stacked deck of Director votes were against Rehman.

I guess for those who think I’m one of those “League Bashers,” well, you bet your bippie, from this point forward.  From here on out, the sickos won’t get a dime of mine for anything beyond the montly ad collection.

And, if anyone were to ask where to contribute to encourage STEM education, including scholarships, I would point them to several which aren’t affiliated with unethical, parochial cliques.

About 17 years ago, I discovered what it was like to be a whistleblower.  Believe me, if the organization doesn't act ethically when first presented with the evidence or claim, you can bet that they are complicit or have at least endorsed the behavior.  And, the whistleblower then becomes the target of the organization......  Simply referred to as "retaliation."

W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 12:45:23 PM »

So instead of writing the Directors to express your displeasure, or encourage others to do the same, you instead want people to sign a petition that the League Board may never hear of, and can easily ignore if they do.

Gotcha.

You can take action, and encourage others to do the same.  Real action, that is, where it will count.

Or you can go through the feel-good motions and not actually accomplish anything.  But you can claim you tried and they ignored you, when the reality is you did nothing.

Gotcha.

As I said... elsewhere... to you on this same subject:  My Division Director WILL hear from me, and if he reads my club newsletter, then he already has. 

What are you going to do?
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 07:25:03 AM »

I voted with my dollars more than a year ago when I refused to renew my membership. They can save some of the membership's money by not sending me "we want you back" letters every few weeks.

They are an advocacy, most often for things that I do not advocate. They are an employer, for people who are unanswerable to the membership. What reasons do I have to endorse them?

The only thing that matters to them are the dollars that come in from membership renewals. If deprived of those dollars in large amounts then the organization just might say "what are we doing wrong?".

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
Free space loss (dB) = 32.4 + 20 × log10d + 20 × log10 f
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 02:47:57 PM »

I'm an ARRL member. I don't get to vote ( I suspect you guys may possibly have heard of the cry "No taxation without representation") but I still pay my dues and get QST which to me is pretty much a kid's comic - on a good edition.

Why?

Because WHERE IT MATTERS, which is at ITU, ARRL is in there, supporting the IARU and as part of the US delegation, influencing the US position. At ITU, when you are supporting the Amateur Service, you have to attempt to answer such arguments - especially, to be honest, mainly from some countries in Africa - that 'amateur radio is a rich white man's hobby and of no use to us'. ARRL provides more support than ANY other amateur organisation to support world wide amateur radio. Interestingly, most of those delegates asking such questions can be seen around the red light area of Geneva as one goes down to the pub 'The Grand Duke' for a pint of Boddington's ale.....

Unless there can be lobbying,  we could not so much lose spectrum, as see even more intruders into the HF bands. There are over 30 countries that have footnoted the Radio Regulations to allow Fixed and Mobile Services in 7 MHz on a Primary basis in their countries. Personally, I hope they get QRMed to hell and back in contests.......

ARRL do spend a lot supporting IARU at ITU: as a member of the US delegation, they have to follow the 'party line', but they need to be there to lobby 'behind the scenes': IARU, even with ARRL funding, does not have to follow the US line - and it doesn't.

For those that don't know, I spent 13 years supporting Amateur Radio for IARU at ITU Study Group 1 and its Working Parties: it was a good job that I got 25 days vacation a year so that I could do it, as well as convincing my employer that their interests ran in parallel with amateur radio interests and it was in their interests to fund me to go to ITU!

So to my mind, forget everything else - if you want world wide amateur radio, join ARRL. If you don't care about anything other than HTs and the local repeater, maybe ARRL isn't for you. Should you suddenly find that you no longer have  any VHF bands because they've been allocated to some other service that will pay more, don't come crying to me.....
W4AMP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 03:02:09 PM »

I support W4OZK. Wink
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 03:18:43 PM »

Wait. What?

WZ7U ~ originating from CN86jc +/-

Yet another imperfect being created by THE perfect God.

Doing good is like picking fresh blackberries - if it doesn't sting a little sometimes, you're doing something wrong.

R.I.P. Dan Huettl, God Bless
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 08:27:39 PM »

There will soon be what is called an Article 24 Recall Petition circulating in the SE Division in an attempt to gain enough signatures to hold a recall election.

Signing on to the Recall Petition offers a chance to vote on whether the appointed director should be recalled from office.

My understanding is that ARRL will be formally notified per Article 24 procedure and signatures will be solicited after formal notification.  There will be a copy at the upcoming Hamcation hamfest.  And, at other hamfests in the SE Division.  The petition must be signed and dated for all signatures to be considered.  If ten percent of the ARRL  SE Dvision members sign that petition, a special recall election will be held.
W4STB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 02:25:12 PM »

It all began in October 2016.  Or did it?

In October we learned of the NON-ELECTION for Southeastern Division Director.
Jim Schilling, KG4JSZ came up with the idea of wearing ARRL badges upside down (like the upside down flag on Doug K4AC's  webiste.
Together, Jim and I decided that a recall petition, Filed in January 2017, was in order If legal remedies were not possible by then.

On January 7, 2017 Jim filed notice of petition and began collecting signatures.

But it didn't begin in October 2016.  Visit http://www.arrlse.org for the longer story.

For further reading see CQ magazine "Zero Bias" editorial at http://www.cq-amateur-radio.com/cq_highlights/2016-cq/2016-12-cq/2016-12-cq-zero-bias.html

Facebook group is Got Vote? ARRL Southeastern Division

Website is http://www.gotvotearrlse.webs.com/

Remember the issue is TRANSPARENCY and Representation.

de Sherri, W4STB
N1FM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 10:43:52 AM »

Any update on this Petition?

I also noticed in mid-January, that Joe Ames, former ARRL NTS leader, had filed an appeal in his defamation case against ARRL.

Haven't seen any update this month about that one either.
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 08:08:43 PM »

Time got the best of me and some time away from the QTH.  The petition instructions say to sign before February 20th, but I didn't get a chance to do so until today.

I'll sign on the sheet and mail as the "window" of 75 days for the recall petition should have started on January 7th, so there still should be ample time for it to be counted.  Puzzled why they cut the signature date so short.

NN4RH

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 08:48:27 PM »

Puzzled why they cut the signature date so short.

They are hoping that you'll run out of time or make mistakes by being in a rush, because they just don't want to deal with it anyway.
K4AMK

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2017, 04:12:50 AM »

When I first read about this situation I thought an injustice had been done, but as I looked into it further my conclusion was that the ARRL handled it correctly. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: