Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Road Test: Begali Sculpture Mono and N3ZN ZN-8  (Read 5441 times)
K3TN

Ignore
« on: June 07, 2011, 03:44:48 AM »

About 2 years ago I bought a N3ZN ZN-8, by far the most expensive key I've ever owned in 40 years of CW. I've loved it, with only minor complaints: (1) I had to anchor it to the desk due to my slap heavy style and (2) the cable is hard wired in, meaning to disconnect it I have to pull the plug from the back of my station setup.

At the recent Dayton Hamfest, I played with a Begali Sculpture Mono single paddle key and fell in lust. After all these years of using iambic/squeeze keying I found that a single paddle really better fit my slap-happy style. Plus, the large finger piece was a bit higher off the table - and that just felt more comfortable, too. Plus, it was purty - but it was also expensive, about 50% more than the ZN-8 I already had. I tried to resist, but before the day was over I went back to the booth and bought the Sculpture Mono.

I've now had almost a month of use, including a bit over 500 contacts in the recent WPX CW contest and I only have two complaints: (1) There are a few letters, like F, L, P, Q and a couple of combinations of letters, where it is hard for me to "un-squeeze" since they lend themselves so well to squeezing; and (2) the Begali key is physically larger, one reason why it doesn't move around, and crowds my operating position a bit more than the N3ZN key.

It is sort of like comparing a Ferrari against a Porsche  - I still really like the N3ZN key, the real major difference is single paddle vs squeeze, not N3ZN vs. Begali. But, the Begali does have a few features I like: (1) built in paddle cable jack, makes it easier to remove key; (2) comes with a dust cover; (3) a bit easier to adjust spacing; (4) bigger footprint and fingerpiece.

I've now spent more on two keys that I spent in total on ham radio during my first 15 years as a ham, but my fist is happy. So what if my wife had to work an extra couple of years before she can retire... If you want to see someone who has really gone crazy over CW keys, take a look at JE1TRV's site here. I visited Atsu in Machida and had an early preview of his key museum, blogged here.

John K3TN
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 02:43:35 AM »

I have a Begali simplex mono and it frankly has a terrible spring action. Its very rough and the spring adjustment between left and right springs is far from uniform. Even when set with a very accurate Dynomometre the feel is different from left to right. I would want to try and measure this new  Sculpture mono before buying it. The 3 piece single lever design of Begali i dont believe is as good as a true single lever paddle.  This is just my experience. I like the HST however I would prefer a magnetic movement. Will Begali producing a magnetic HST?
K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 04:21:49 AM »

I tried most of the Begali keys at Dayton - the Simplex Mono didn't feel much different than other spring-tensioned paddles to me, so seemed overpriced compared to Vibroplex et al. They didn't mention any plans for magnetic tensioning for the Simplex keys but you'd have to check with Begali.

John K3TN
AF4XK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 12:14:34 PM »

I like the HST however I would prefer a magnetic movement. Will Begali producing a magnetic HST?

I've been wondering this exact same thing myself regarding the HST!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: