Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: mobile AF preamp for HF  (Read 1984 times)
KB2HUK

Ignore
« on: May 24, 2011, 08:31:44 PM »

Any one know of a Audio preamp that I could use between my ts480 and mobile speaker that would just give me additional clean amplified sound ?  Thanks John kb2huk 
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 01:06:30 AM »

What is wrong with using the speaker output on the back of the radio main body? Its better than the one on the head unit which is basically just meant for headphones.
W8NYY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 04:29:25 AM »

I'm using the 2011 version of the West Mountain Radio's CLRSpeaker.  In addition to DSP it has a 10 watt RMS audio amplifier which is plenty for use in a mobile environment.
W8BYY
N5KBP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 08:15:01 AM »

Any one know of a Audio preamp that I could use between my ts480 and mobile speaker that would just give me additional clean amplified sound ?  Thanks John kb2huk 

I usually don't recommend "Cellular Phones R Us" ie Radio Shack for anything anymore but they do still have a very few good products and their mobile amplified speaker is one of them. I had the same problem with a Yaesu FT-857D in my pickup. I installed their amplified speaker and it works FB. It even cuts itself off if it doesn't have any input for a half minute or so.  I picked up mine used and it is an older version but this is the current incarnation available there.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4371942

Marty
N5KBP

KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 07:48:39 PM »

An AF amplifier inserted at a speaker output between rig and speaker is not a preamp. 

It is a power amp. 

And that Radio Shack powered communications monitor speaker is right up your alley for this application.

There are other brands as well, google can bring them up or peruse the communications dealers' catalogs, online or paper.

N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 06:59:25 AM »

I have the Kenwood TS-480 in my pickup. I found the audio lacking out of the radio to my external speaker mounted on the dash. So I needed a small audio power amp, as previously pointed out. I also felt some DSP would be good. Also noted previously.

I opted for the West Mountain radio Clrspeech speaker. Works good getting rid of heterodynes and static noises. The speaker itself on my 1 year old model was a bit punchy. Common known as "communications" or tinny. I did not like it as for listening to AM shortwave broadcast (Alex Jones). I put one of my small external speakers behind the Clrspeech. There is an ext spkr jack on the rear. It has more base, and more of mellow sound. The NEW Clrspeech has a headphone jack, and 10 watts that the previous model did not have.

Let us know how this turns out.

73 N5UD Tony
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 03:59:05 PM »

Having owned a Kenwood TS-480Hx, the internal, AF-based DSP, is as good as any I have heard. It is better than the IF-based one in the Yaesu FT450 I owned at the same time! The Kenwood's audio power is rated at more than 2 watts, which is more than most designed-for-mobile use transceivers.

Here's something few amateurs think about, unless they're into audio too.

Cheap, amateur-radio marketed speakers, have very low SPL ratings. You don't know how low they are, because resellers don't publish (or don't know) their specs. The truth is, most are under 85 dB at one watt. Good, professional-grade communications speakers average about 92 dB to as high as 95 dB. At a two foot distance, the difference is over 10 dB!

It pays to be informed! If you don't know, do a few Google searches, and a lot of reading!

KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 06:25:37 PM »

Actually, I have had very good luck with Radio Shack's communications and stereo speakers for decades. I did not know they had an amplified communications speaker, but I need one to run after a switch capacitance SSB filter at work. I am definitely going to try it out. If it doesn't perform like I think it should, I can always take it back, Maybe I can catch it on sale. I often do!  Grin
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 07:28:35 AM »

Alan, who is making a good communications speaker these days ?

If the Kenwood TS-480 is above average on audio, then the others must really be poor.

Not that this is radio, but it is audio. My Klipsch La Scalas are rated at 104 db SPL. They get loud with little
power from the audio amp.

73 Tony N5UD
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 12:45:20 PM »

Tony, almost no one! I use a GE Master speaker, mounted under the driver's seat. This helps muffle the high frequency hash we all put up with. I also have a SCAF filter (Idiom Press). It isn't a panacea, but there are times it allows a contact to be made, that couldn't otherwise occur.

N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 08:38:20 AM »

I usually use an old Bell System speakerphone speaker or one of my many Motorola speakers.

Speaking of Moto. I ran across in my oldies pile a NOS Moto large wall speaker. It has the old red logo. The box is falling apart.
Kind of conical shaped and 10 inches at the base.

Looks like it could pre-date Motracs. Another speaking of, I think I still have a Motrac speakers NOS.

73 Tony N5UD
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: