Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UK Jeep Wrangler Ultimate radio installation  (Read 2535 times)
G0ISW

Ignore
« on: June 07, 2011, 07:39:23 AM »

Hi all,

Having read all the historic posts about Jeep Wrangler ignition/electrical noise issues, I installed my Yaesu FT-857D and ATAS-120A antenna on my new 5 door 2010 UK Jeep Wrangler Ultimate (JK) hardtop, with its European 2.8 litre Common Rail Diesel engine, with some trepidation.

The good news is that the only band I get ignition interference/noise on appears to be 10 MHz (30 metres). I have installed the ATAS-120A on a purpose built mount that fits behind my spare wheel attached to the carrier by the two standard bolts. I have a seperate Comet antenna for 144/432 MHz also behind the spare wheel carrier.

Even better news is that the vehicle grounding, without any additional grounding straps, is sufficient for the ATAS-120A to tune on all bands 7-50 MHz.

I am now left wondering if the historic ignition/ electrical noise issues I have read about relate to only either Jeep petrol engines or non European diesel engines? Or maybe newer engines don't have this problem?

I don't know the answer, but have left this post so that others can be assured that for some Jeep Wrangler models there are not all the problems mentioned, but for others there may be.

By the way, I really like my Jeep Wrangler Ultimate from a driver's point of view too.  Smiley

73 de Philip G0ISW

http://www.qsl.net/g0isw

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 09:03:38 AM »

It isn't ignition noise per se in a common-rail diesel, but the actual "generator" is the same; a collapsing field of a coil. The severity of the RFI is dependent on many different factors. As a result, just because one installation has minimal RFI, does not mean that another, almost identical install, will have the same level of RFI.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: