Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alpha 87A HF Automatic Linear Amplifier - $1000 (Orlando) SCAM ALERT !  (Read 12635 times)
KA7NIQ

Ignore
« on: May 26, 2011, 08:30:37 PM »

Default Alpha 87 Amplifier Craigslist Orlando Scam!

This is a scam. This is an Alpha 87 for 1000.00, LOL
    I replied to this, and I got the following email back. I wonder how many others did too. The ad has been on CL for over a week!

Alpha 87A HF Automatic Linear Amplifier - $1000 (Orlando)
    Date: 2011-05-19, 2:27PM EDT
    Reply to: sale-akyjq-2390718112@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
    Fully automatic HF amplifier covering all amateur bands, 160 m through 10 m, including the WARC bands. , this is a late model Alpha 87A that runs a full legal limit, 1500 W, on all bands and has been fully upgraded and refurbished at the factory. This automatically tuned amplifier uses 2 3CX800 tubes and has been fitted at the factory with a new front panel and new cover - it looks brand new. The amplifier also has the external fan installed. 6 month warranty on the amplifier and the tubes from RF Concepts.

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

image 0 image 1
    image 2 image 3
    PostingID: 2390718112

Here is the email I sent the scammer, and his reply.

This sender is DomainKeys verified
    "Allen McGonnigle" <allen.mcgonnigle@gmail.com>
    Add sender to Contacts
    To:
    "Chris Tucker" <ka7niq@yahoo.com>
    Hello,

I still have the Alpha 87A HF Automatic Linear Amplifier for sale at the price of US$1000.00. I am currently out of country because I work with "Save The Children Foundation" and I am traveling a lot all over the world, where children needs my help. I am now in United Kingdom and I will have to stay here for at least 6 months. If you still want to buy it, we can do it with the help of a very good shipping company - www.parcelforce.com . You will have 10 days inspection period to make sure it is in like new condition. I will pay all shipping fees. If you are interested in buying this, just let me know and I will provide all complete details on how this transaction will work.

Thanks
    Allen

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 10:29 PM, Chris Tucker <ka7niq@yahoo.com> wrote:

Call me about the old Alpha 813 655 8777 Chris Ka7niq
    http://orlando.craigslist.org/ele/2390718112.html

Chris Tucker
    Owner - Apple Roof Cleaning
    President - Brandon Singles
    813 - 655 - 8777
    www.saferoofcleaning.com
    www.brandonsingles.com

KA7NIQ

AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 09:20:55 PM »

Me to Scammer:
Dear Sir:

Do you still have this amplifier for sale?
I am VERY interested in buying it
and can pay fast.

Thanks, Bob (Fake Surname)
Scammer's reply, <yawn>
Hello,
I still have the Alpha 87A HF Automatic Linear Amplifier for sale at the price of US$1000.00. I am currently out of country because I work with "Save The Children Foundation" and I am traveling a lot all over the world, where children needs my help. I am now in United Kingdom and I will have to stay here for at least 6 months. If you still want to buy it, we can do it with the help of a very good shipping company -www.parcelforce.com . You will have 10 days inspection period to make sure it is in like new condition. I will pay all shipping fees. If you are interested in buying this, just let me know and I will provide all complete details on how this transaction will work.
Thanks
Allen....   Allen McGonnigle
 ♫ allen.mcgonnigle@gmail.com
OK< let's dance:  Grin

Hi There Allen!
Thanks for the quick reply.
How long have you been working for Save The Children?

About the ALPHA 87, amplifier, I am VERY interested in getting it. 
I have wanted one for a long, long time!  It's really unfortunate that you are in the UK right now. IN fact, if the amplifier is in as good as condition as you say, and some buyer is before me, I will beat his price.  Shocked

But we are in Luck!!
I have a ham radio friend who lives about 40 km outside of London!
WHERE IN LONDON ARE YOU STAYING?
He can come over right away to your location and pay the $1,000 cash. I will arrange a trucking company to pick up the amplifier.
(They are far too heavy and delicate for Air Freight carriers I have found.)

Please send my your cell phone number ASAP
so I can have my friend in UK call you to arrange a Day, Time, and place for him
to give you the money, say Grosvenor Square? Or your favorite restaurant, my treat?
Very much looking forward to doing business with you!
Thanks so very much, Bob

OK, yeah, a lot of things can happen. He can say he's leaving London for another city
so he can't meet me friend, (MAJOR BUMMER, cause I DO know
Scam Baiters in London who would LOVE to meet this guy in person!)
Grin
He can ask me for MY cell phone number. (No problem, I can get a free K7 answering machine number,
though it will always be busy and have a Seattle area code, haha).

Basically, he's gonna end up asking for a Westy (Western Union Transfer),
but I will refuse and keep upping the price I will pay until he gives me what I want:
A place to meet in person for a cash exchange (VERY HIGHLY UNLIKELY) unless
he REALLY IS in London and that greedy.
OR....a bank account for an International Wire Transfer from me to him,
which I can turn over to several authorities and get closed. (I've done it before
many times, or I should say a Baiter contact in the Banking Industry does it for us)

But I really don't know what he's capable of until I can get him
"Off Script" and get to know him. Sometimes the hardest thing for a good
Scam Baiter to do is get the scammer off script. Then you can find out how
smart or stupid they are. Or if they are independent with no "Oga" (Igbo for "boss")

Also the fun starts if/when you get them off script.
"Accidentally" send them down to Western Union with a bad MTCN (Money Transfer Control Number).
Rinse & Repeat with Money Gramme.
Send him some fake "Western Union Security Forms" to fill out.
IF he's an inexperienced independent Cafe Boi
Rinse & Repeat "Security Forms" with Money Gramme.
Ask for a silly looking  "Security Photo" of him holding up a sign with
your name on it.....since everyone knows a Passport can be Photochopped.
(Makes a great trophy for the baiter!)

Let's see what THIS lad is made of....
73, Ken  AD6KA, ex 5R8GQ
KA7NIQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 09:46:46 PM »

Cool ! I also have this scam posted at QRZ http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?298636-Alpha-87-Amplifier-Craigslist-Orlando-Scam!&p=2253637#post2253637

Let's hope he gets greedy, as we all say we will beat each others prices.
Hopefully, we can catch him, or get him busted. Or at least make him think twice before trying to rip off Hams again.

KA7NIQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 07:01:50 AM »

I just received a phone call from a non Ham, who found this thread on Google. I didn't ask him if he was here in Florida, but he said he got the EXACT same script sent to him on some Precor Exercise Equipment this Scammer also has advertised on Craigslist.
Here is what I believe this Crook is doing.
He watches Ebay for expensive items that get lots of Bids.
I submit, an Alpha 87A with no reserve will get 100's of bids.
He simply copies the pic's and description, then throws it on Craigslist. He uses the same script for each item.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 05:07:09 PM »

He simply copies the pic's and description, then throws it on Craigslist.

He uses the same script for each item.

Yes, a very common modality, unfortunately.
Also happens on just about any "For Sale/Item Wanted" forum.

One of the nastier scams working these days is the
"absent landlord scam". They cruise sites watching for ads from
folks looking to rent a room or flat in a town they will be moving
to shortly (Like college kids or recent grads relocating for a new job.)
They reply to the "renters" with a great deal, sometimes with photos.
A cute little guesthouse, good neighborhood, close to schools & parks.
It may even be a real address and photos are included.

Thing is, the "landlord" doesn't live in the same area as his property either.  Roll Eyes
He may "sweeten the pot" by allowing them to have pets, or giving them
a break with a lower security deposit. After several emails and phone calls,
(Good scammers are smooth talkers) he finally says "Look, you sound very
trustworthy and responsible. Someone who will take care of my investment".

Then he'll finally say "Send me a Cashier's Check for first & last month's
rent and I will FedEx you the keys, a receipt, and the rental agreement, OK?".
Gee, what a nice guy, right?

Off the money goes, some keys arrive in two days, the couple moves out
of the old place. They drive 1,600 miles and pull up to the house with a rental van
(containing everything the own)....only to find people already
living in (or OWNING!) this cute little house they supposedly rented.

Happens every day, especially in areas with chronic affordable housing shortages.
Very sad....
Ken  AD6KA

KG6EYM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 07:17:25 PM »

He is a liar a a scam artist. have work for Save the Childern Federation I called and checked him out they do not!!!!!!! have anyone working for them by that name. They do not bounce you from one place to another like he says. you are sent to one location for up to 4yrs. before you might even be moved to another location. Their ofice is located out of Westport ,Conn. no where near Orlando. Angry
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 12:13:07 PM »

Here's the lastest from this guy.
What a load of crap!
I am glad you decided that you want to buy it. Parcel Force is a very good delivery company and 100% secure for both of us. All I need is your complete name and address so I can start the shipping to you. Once I will start the transaction, they will send you an invoice with all delivery details. Once they will receive the package from me, they will verify it and provide you details regarding the condition of the product. You will have to send the money to an Parcel Force representative by: Liberty Reserve (you can pay with Paypal,bank wire transfer,credit card only through Liberty Reserve) , Western Union Money Transfer or Money Gram eMoney Tranfer. Immediately after your payment is verified the product will be delivered to you. The Parcel Force representative will hold your payment until you receive the product and decide if you want to keep it or not. If the item is not as described by me or if it doesn't work, the Parcel Force agent will come to your home, will take the item and give you the money back.    Grin This transaction is made through Parcel Force and Craiglist so it will be secure for both of us. Once I will receive your details I will take the item to the Parcel Force office and start the transaction. I will wait your email.

Parcel Force is a real company, they are a private firm that delivers packages for The Royal Mail in the UK.
Privatization of postal services is quite common in Europe. (Wish we had it here).
BUT....I imagine he will send me a link that only "looks like" a Parcel Force email address.
Also, Parcel Force has a 30 kg limit for parcels to the USA, and the 87A is 75 pounds unpacked (34 kg)

Liberty Reserve is an international Currency Exchange/Money Transfer company with a a shady past and was once indicted by the New York DA for money laundering. Google "Liberty Reserve, Scam" or "Liberty Reserve, fraud" and you will get TONS of hits.

And of course Parcel Force will NOT come to my door and pick it up if I don't like it, they just bring it over here and dump it into the USPS parcel system, like any other private mail service does. Notice how he says "Parcel Force will inspect the package, hold the money until I say I like it, got it undamaged, etc". All this %100 risk free crap is standard scammer stuff.

Not sure where I am going to go from here.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 09:47:37 PM »

No activity from this scammer, seems he has gone to ground.
Or is very busy, lots of hams and baiters emailing this guy.

The most important thing, I think, is the remarkable
information I have learned over the last week or so
about this "payment company" Liberty Reserve.

http://www.libertyreserve.com/

I will post here all about them in a couple days.
Waiting for some banking information to be confirmed.

Lets just say, PLEASE ADD "Payment to Liberty Reserve" to your
list of terms that lets you KNOW it's a %100 no doubt whatsoever SCAM!
 Grin

73, Ken  AD6KA
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 10:03:03 PM by AD6KA » Logged
TKENDALL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 03:33:02 PM »

He simply copies the pic's and description, then throws it on Craigslist.

He uses the same script for each item.

Yes, a very common modality, unfortunately.
Also happens on just about any "For Sale/Item Wanted" forum.

One of the nastier scams working these days is the
"absent landlord scam". They cruise sites watching for ads from
folks looking to rent a room or flat in a town they will be moving
to shortly (Like college kids or recent grads relocating for a new job.)
They reply to the "renters" with a great deal, sometimes with photos.
A cute little guesthouse, good neighborhood, close to schools & parks.
It may even be a real address and photos are included.

Thing is, the "landlord" doesn't live in the same area as his property either.  Roll Eyes
He may "sweeten the pot" by allowing them to have pets, or giving them
a break with a lower security deposit. After several emails and phone calls,
(Good scammers are smooth talkers) he finally says "Look, you sound very
trustworthy and responsible. Someone who will take care of my investment".

Then he'll finally say "Send me a Cashier's Check for first & last month's
rent and I will FedEx you the keys, a receipt, and the rental agreement, OK?".
Gee, what a nice guy, right?

Off the money goes, some keys arrive in two days, the couple moves out
of the old place. They drive 1,600 miles and pull up to the house with a rental van
(containing everything the own)....only to find people already
living in (or OWNING!) this cute little house they supposedly rented.

Happens every day, especially in areas with chronic affordable housing shortages.
Very sad....
Ken  AD6KA

I agree that is very sad. You really have to be extra cautious.

Has anyone seen the scam on Craigslist under Jobs typically in major cities where someone will post a job add (usually well written), and the victim replies to this ad, gets an email stating their interest in setting up and interview, etc. The victim is given the "company" web site, asked to review their site to get to learn about the company, and then are asked to go to an URL to run a Background Check on themselves who's "results" will be sent securely to the company. The victim doesn't have to do anything, just provide some basic personal info.

Has anyone seen this and if so, anyone know the details on this are they being directed to a site to enter personal info, back accounts, etc? These seem obvious but they take a second glance. The site looks real at first glance, but a little digging around and behold, under the "About us" or "Contact us" sections you will be greeted with an under construction notice. In fact, most of these bogus sites have not a single address or phone number listed for anything. As you look around the site more you will notice things are a bit off, grammar errors like "to" instead of "too". They may provide a brief description on what the company does, etc but it will be quite generic.

However, I have seen well educated people like Engineers and Teachers fallen prey to these type of threats. Think about it - today with people scrambling for jobs when someone gets an email reply saying "We would like to know more about you", people can get pretty eager. Add that to a "we would like you to fill out an application" and you will have plenty of people willing to give you all sorts of information.

We just have to be as informed as we can and continue to share ideas like these to beat these people.
W5DWR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 01:19:58 PM »

I got the same reply from this guy about buying my motorhome in Texas.  He's a busy guy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: