Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which portable antenna wouls you get?  (Read 7656 times)
WF0GMN

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2011, 09:15:48 PM »

I have the MP-1 and it works fine, but I really need to lay down good radials for it to perform.

On the other hand, my go-to QRP antenna is the Par EF-10/20/40.  Once I got it trimmed (easily done with the good instructions) I just through it up in a tree and it works every time.  I have talked all over the world on CW, PSK31 and JT65.

Gary, wf0gmn
Kansas City, MO
KE5DFK

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 08:24:31 AM »

Randy,  I think the group would be able to give you better advice based on what your antenna restrictions are.  When I first read your posted my first thoughts was portable use.  But then you mention home bound.  If home bound, is this a house, apartment, condo, RV park? 

Are you limited to inside antennas only, if you can use an outside antenna are you height limited, space limited.
I'm sure that once the group knows what your up against the responses will be focused on your specific situation.

Carlos
KE5DFK
N7KFD

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2011, 09:02:37 PM »

None of the above. I built the PAC-12 antenna http://www.njqrp.org/pac-12/ which works great with my Elecraft K1. The one change I made to the design was instead of using aluminum rod I used 1/4" all thread which is available cheap at Lowe's or Home Depot. I also found a cheap tripod on ebay ($10) to screw the antenna to. Hookup wire for the coils is still available at Radio Shack and with coils and ground plane wires you'll need about three spools.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Jim
N7KFD

WB4TJH

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2011, 06:21:26 AM »

Most of those antennas you mention are little more than dummy loads on a stick. If you have to buy an antenna instead of making one, get the PAR Electronics End Fedz qrp antenna. It's an end fed, half wave length wire antenna for 40/20/10 meters and works vey well. I have one. But why not just make a simple dipole to string up in a tree when you work Portable?  That would be a no compromise antenna, and even with 5 watts or less, would be very efficient. All those antennas you mentioned are very, very poor performers.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: