Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bad manners and jamming has become the norm  (Read 5027 times)
W1IT

Ignore
« on: May 29, 2011, 08:12:59 AM »

Roll Eyes

I have been licensed for 50 plus years and as I have said on air, if I were born rich, I would never have gone down that road of amateur radio.
But, alas, monkeys on my back.

I have wondered having been attacked on 40 meters a number of times, by what appear to be white trash, CB immigrants, if this is becoming the norm for our hobby. We all have first Amendment rights to speak, but that does not include malicious qrming, insults and interruptions without provocations.

I have complained about loss of integrity in Amateur radio, and I will only say, based on other observations, our whole world is falling to pieces because of some unknown evil force? Is this the way the world ends, or just, amateur radio as we have known it? Comments?
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 01:58:09 PM »

Interesting ...

I have been a ham since '61 (with a few years lapse in the middle) and I have never experienced such as you mention. Verbal insults and attacks here on eHam is another matter.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
W1IT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 02:51:27 PM »

Interesting ...

I have been a ham since '61 (with a few years lapse in the middle) and I have never experienced such as you mention. Verbal insults and attacks here on eHam is another matter.

I think you need listen on 75 meters at night. Also, there seems to be at least two or three things encouring this.

Operate on same frquency at about same time (not a net, a Qso group)
Speak about anything other than your constipated problems and what G5RV you have

Operate in areas where General Class operation is permitted.
Last winter, the 3905 CC club was jammed all evening by what must have been a Henry Radio 8k with German and anti semtic monologues. (Just one example)

KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 03:15:07 PM »

If you don't think that the world has become a lousier place to live, next time you leave the house, leave the door unlocked...

N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 05:11:33 PM »

Am I wrong in this but when I am having a good one on one conversation on hf, I don't appreciate people breaking in. I don't recall this happening in the past. Stations would wait for the qso to end before calling in. Now I have stations breaking in when they can only copy one half of the QSO. Is a fall over from repeater operation where interrupting and hijacking the conversation seems to be the norm.

Mark N1UK
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 06:51:15 PM »

What is happening on the ham bands just reflect what is happening in society in general.  Just about nobody talks to their neighbors anymore--unless they want to complain. Gone are the days where you would walk over to your fence and shoot the breeze with another person to pass the time.  

"Me first" is an attitude that pervades society, and ham radio hasn't escaped it entirely.  Even though you don't hear too much of it, it IS there.  As someone else said, just listen to 75 M some nights.
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 10:06:22 PM »

There have always been wackos and wierdos on 75 since I got a ticket in the late 70s.

To a lesser extent wackos and wierdos ops  have always been on all of the other bands.

The only time I've encountered what you describe has been from ops that have the miss guided notion that they were born to make sure other people operate exactly the way the police op thinks they should.

My impression is that the longer I live, the nice people become.

Bob
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 11:32:27 PM »

What is happening on the ham bands just reflect what is happening in society in general.  Just about nobody talks to their neighbors anymore--unless they want to complain. Gone are the days where you would walk over to your fence and shoot the breeze with another person to pass the time.  
I agree %100, it's our society.
Another example would be not chatting with strangers while waiting in line
at the airport, grocery store, sporting event, etc.  Then there's the "Blue Toothers".
They walk down the street and down store isles having conversations with???
I'm only now getting to the point when one of them passes me that I DON'T
say "Excuse me?" because I THOUGHT they said something to ME.  Grin

All these people locked up in their own little worlds.......sad. Sad

I vividly remember my first trip to Australia.
Wow! THOSE folks are HONESTLY friendly!
Nobody's a stranger there...just a friend ("mate") you haven't met yet!

73, Ken  AD6KA
2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 02:13:19 AM »

Indeed Ken, or should I say "to right mate"!  Grin But then us Aussies are famously laid back..

"It looks like its starting to rain - what are you going to do?"

"I reckon I'll just let it".

But back on topic - I wouldn't go on 75m then if I were you; we don't have that allocation here in the UK but from being on here and the Zed theselast 6 months it seems that those practices are the norm. My operating has been mainly 40, 20, and 15 with a bit of 17 as well and 99% of folks are well mannered and courteous. Some of them can be a bit "short" but then they usually are hunting some DX and don't want to talk to a humble G station. The only really bad jamming I encountered was 5 months ago, when a young lady Italian station was hounded off the air by a fellow "I" station - a pity as she was doing a contest and doing it very well and in a professional and freindly manner.

Other than that its been minor niggles, which actually may be caused by a station that cannot even here the station he is interfering with. This happened a week ago or so when a station in a nearby country interfered with a QSO I was having with a bloke in Scotland - oh well we just put it down to experience and said we would chat another day. Cest la vie.

Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness.
George Orwell
W1IT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 05:04:55 AM »

The only really bad jamming I encountered was 5 months ago, when a young lady Italian station was hounded off the air by a fellow "I" station - a pity as she was doing a contest and doing it very well and in a professional and freindly manner.

The truth is many are not newbies. Many of the jammers are experienced, bored and turned negative people. Remember, in the USA we have great economic disparity. We have marginal manners to begin with, a big mouths.
I have often thought it rude to break a qso just to test your new antenna and so on. Its like breaking a private conversation in a coffee shop. That conversation was public, because it was in the shop. It was private, because you were NOT invited into it.
KE3WH

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 01:23:31 PM »

Interesting ...

Very true! I have seen, and suffered far more attacks on forums than on the air.

First ticket 1980. Ex KA3EWT, N3DSO.
N4VNV

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 06:02:58 AM »

So very sad, but true!  Us "Rank & File" hams told the ARRL for many years not to "dumb down" the licenses for the very small percentage of potential hams that could not pass the old exams. Now that "Pandora's Box" has been open for awhile, I have been going through the same kind of junk talk/behavior as the Author of this question. It's a crying shame but when the leaders of a group care only about money/greed, this is what you get. And forget about the "gentleman's agreements" we hammered out over the years, to help us ALL get along together. The majority of new hams could care less. I'm not saying we didn't have any bad hams before, but those kind are in the majority now. Us hams that still try to practice good order and self-discipline are way outnumbered these days. I gave up smoking, and I tried to quit radioing. Sold all my gear, but a year later I got back in it. I'm just a "Ham" junkie! But I no longer support the people that put us in this quagmire of bad behavior.
KC2UGV

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 07:12:53 AM »

Am I wrong in this but when I am having a good one on one conversation on hf, I don't appreciate people breaking in. I don't recall this happening in the past. Stations would wait for the qso to end before calling in. Now I have stations breaking in when they can only copy one half of the QSO. Is a fall over from repeater operation where interrupting and hijacking the conversation seems to be the norm.

Mark N1UK

You're not one for round table discussions?  I mean, really, you can add in many parties to a QSO, doesn't have to be one-on-one.

If you are wondering where it comes from, it's from most hams I've spoken with encourage people to wait for a break, put your call out there, and wait to be ack'd to join in the discussion.

Yes, it happens plenty on repeaters.  Because many people on repeaters enjoy round table discussions (At least in my area); especially during commutes and the like.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 09:41:21 AM »

Reading these posts has been very interesting.  I for one, stay off 75M phone because there are so many lids there.... and I'm talking about OLD lids.  Regardless of the "dumbing down" of tests, etc., I find the worst offenders are the OLD hams and those with narcissistic tendencies.  In comparison, I've found the new hams, regardless of how I feel about "dumbing down/no-coders", etc., the easiest hams to work.  I can tolerate the "CB lingo" and other unconventional habits more than I can tolerate ignorance and narcissism.

Consequently, I spend most of my time on 40 and 20M phone and CW.  Since 20M has been opening up to Europe quite a bit lately, I like to ragchew with Europeans because I've been there....lived there.  If a European station wants to chat, I accommodate him and I am very happy to say that I've never been interrupted or QRM'd to speed up the contact by others wanting to work him. 

It is indeed very unfortunate that the manners and consideration for others is on the decline.  It's the times we live in and I'm afraid that it isn't going to get any better.

Final thought.  I met my first Aussie in 1955, in of all places, Rome.  Actually a family traveling and camping.  I really enjoyed talking to them.  After that I got into ham radio and was able to work VK stations quite a bit and I can honestly say, "I'm never met an Australian that I didn't like!"  They are a great people.
2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 02:08:28 PM »

Grin Ta for the compliment mate! There are quite a few of us Aussies spread all over the world. I have lived more than 10 years in the UK, and as a consequence....I sound a bit like a New Zealander.... Shocked

I must be of an optimistic disposition, I find most people I meet in ham radio and in general life to be pretty good. I'm a glass half full guy for sure. Despite being a secular humanist sceptic.  Grin

Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness.
George Orwell
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: