Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Logic 8 Or HRD Logbook.....  (Read 6056 times)
KF7ELU

Ignore
« on: May 29, 2011, 08:22:30 AM »

Well I am considering Converting to Logic 8 from Ham Radio Deluxe For logging. What do you all think of that? The main reason I am considering this change is the powerful tools in logic 8 for QSL card and logging. Although HRD is great I am not that fond of the logging system.

That brings me to another Quesion, Is there a simple way to use Logic for Logging but continue to use HRD for Digi Modes and rig control???

Any other users out there of Logic 8 let me know what you think... May even go completely away from HRD if a Digi Modes and rig control alternative can be found that i like....

Thanks! Open to suggestions....
I mainly operate PSK SSTV and SSB. No contests or cw for me at this time... (but in the future Smiley )
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 08:12:39 PM »

Well I am considering Converting to Logic 8 from Ham Radio Deluxe For logging. What do you all think of that? The main reason I am considering this change is the powerful tools in logic 8 for QSL card and logging. Although HRD is great I am not that fond of the logging system.

That brings me to another Quesion, Is there a simple way to use Logic for Logging but continue to use HRD for Digi Modes and rig control???

Any other users out there of Logic 8 let me know what you think... May even go completely away from HRD if a Digi Modes and rig control alternative can be found that i like....

Thanks! Open to suggestions....
I mainly operate PSK SSTV and SSB. No contests or cw for me at this time... (but in the future Smiley )

Before you spend money, you might try DXLab, which is free.

DXLab is a free-ware suite of 8 applications that can operate independently, but detect each other's presence and interoperate automatically. You can start with one or two applications, e.g. transceiver control and logging, and then add others in whatever order you choose; the DXLab Launcher lets you download and install a DXLab application with a couple of mouse clicks, and provides a single point of control for the suite.

Besides the usual logging, transceiver control, DX spot collection and digital mode features you'll find in most applications, DXLab provides many additional capabilities - but keep in mind that you can learn these capabilities step-by step as you add applications in whatever order you choose:

- controls up to 4 transceivers, with optional transceiver selection by frequency

- supports transverters for 6m, 4m, 2m, and 70cm operation

- can direct a secondary transceiver or receiver to follow the primary transceiver's frequency and mode

- interoperates with SDR Consoles used as panadaptors (e.g. SpectraVue) or skimmers (e.g. CW Skimmer)

- provides 10 banks of 10 memories, with the ability to continuously scan a bank's frequencies

- as you QSY, displays frequency-dependent settings for devices like tuners, amplifiers, and antenna switches, with optional control via parallel port signals

- provides user-defined transceiver control sequences initiated by up to 16 buttons and up to 8 sliders; for example, see <http://www.dxlabsuite.com/commander/screenshot1.jpg>

- provides both map-driven and callsign-driven operation of all commercial PC-controllable rotators

- can display a translation for up to 50 "QSO phrases" in the languages likely used by your QSO partner based on his or her DXCC entity; more than 60 languages are supported

- tracks confirmation and verification of QSOs for DXCC, TopList, and WAZ awards, highlighting needed DX spots, automatically generating outgoing QSLs that request confirmation of needed QSLs, identifying confirmed QSOs for submission to the ARRL DXCC desk, and generating DXCC submission paperwork

- highlights DX spots needed for the annual CQ DX Marathon award, and generates the required submission spreadsheet

- reports progress towards DXCC, TopList, Challenge, VUCC, Marathon, WAS, WAC, IOTA, WAZ, WPX, USA-CA, Canadaward, Holyland, DOK, WAE, WAB, DFM, SRR, RDA, WAHUC, WAIP, WAJA, JCC, JCG, and AJA awards

- can automatically upload QSOs to Club Log

- synchronizes with LotW and eQSL.cc, initiating upload and download operations with a single mouse click without requiring the user to manually invoke TQSL, deal with ADIF files, or use a separate application

- extracts address information from all 3 CDROM callbooks and QRZ.com (free with advertising, or no advertising with subscription)

- provides one-click access to more than 80 web-accessible sources of QSL information

- directly prints QSL labels and 4-to-a-page QSL cards - with or without a background image

- directly prints addresses on envelopes or labels

- provides operations that can alter many logged QSOs simultaneously without requiring the user to modify ADIF files -- e.g. performing callbook lookups on already-logged QSOs, or adjusting the start times of QSOs logged during a specific time range, or extracting QTH information from COMMENT fields, or...

- captures DX spots from up to 6 sources (telnet clusters, packetclusters, DX Summit), creating and maintaining a local database with one entry for each active DX station that is color coded by "need" and LotW/eQSL participation, and whose entries can be independently filtered and displayed in a table, on its world map, and on a zoomable bandspread

- optionally announces needed DX spots, and includes a web server that makes all spots browser-accessible from anywhere on your home network

- extracts QSX frequencies from DX spot notes, enabling accurate transceiver setup for split frequency operation with one user action

- captures solar and geomagnetic data from WWV spots and uses this data to display easy-to-understand QST-style graphical propagation forecasts, and to depict the auroral oval on its world map (choice of VOACAP, ICEPAC, or IONCAP propagation forecasting engines, all of which are included)

- monitors user-specified NCDXF/IARU HF beacon schedules to rapidly calibrate propagation forecasts with actual propagation

- decodes all PSK31 or PSK63 or PSK125 QSOs within your transceiver's bandpass and extract callsigns to create and maintain a "stations heard" window

- simultaneously runs soundcard RTTY (using the MMTTY engine) and an optional external modem (e.g. a KAM or PK232) to provide diversity decoding or the ability to simultaneously decode a DX station and callers

- supports PSK, RTTY, CW (generation only), and Phone (voice keying) with a single user interface and macro facility

- interoperates with MultiPSK, MMSSTV, MMVARI, MMTTY, MixW, Fldigi, DM780, HRD, DX Atlas, and CW Skimmer

- is updated with user-suggested features frequently, and downloads/installs upgrades with a single mouse click

- is driven by an active and friendly user community open to everyone

User-reported defects are generally corrected within 24 hours. At this moment, the number of reported but uncorrected defects across all members of the DXLab Suite is 1, but the night is young.

DXLab is available via http://www.dxlabsuite.com

- reference documentation is available in both html and pdf format via http://www.dxlabsuite.com/download.htm#Documentation

- task-oriented documentation is available via http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/GettingStarted

Dave, AA6YQ

« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 08:15:26 PM by AA6YQ » Logged
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 03:20:22 PM »

DX Lab sure looks interesting. But it appears it won't run under WINE in Linux.

I've tried HRD under WINE and VirtualBox, but it's too slow. I'll give DXLab a try. Thanks for the heads up. :-)

AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 07:43:27 PM »

DX Lab sure looks interesting. But it appears it won't run under WINE in Linux.

I've tried HRD under WINE and VirtualBox, but it's too slow. I'll give DXLab a try. Thanks for the heads up. :-)

See http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/DXLabLinux
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 08:10:18 PM »

Thanks, but the link to Sun is a redirect to a non-relevant page. I will try it on VirtualBox, though. And I'm not against switching my shack PC from Ubuntu to Windows 7, if that's what it takes.

AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 11:52:58 PM »

Thanks, but the link to Sun is a redirect to a non-relevant page. I will try it on VirtualBox, though. And I'm not against switching my shack PC from Ubuntu to Windows 7, if that's what it takes.

Obviously things have changed at Sun after the Oracle acquisition; I will find out where xVM went. Please let me know how it goes with VirtualBox, even if you ultimately decide to run Windows 7.

Dave, AA6YQ
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 08:21:42 AM »

The main reason I am considering this change is the powerful tools in logic 8 for QSL card and logging.

Any other users out there of Logic 8 let me know what you think...

I have used Logic logbook since the early 1990's. I have also tried every logbook out there that has a free demo. Yes, I have tried all the Dxlabs programs.

Logic 8 has the most bells and whistles of any logbook. You need to download the free Demo and videos to check it out. This will give you a small taste of what it does. It is very powerful.

Yes you can use Logic 8 for logging and share the same serial port with other programs. You need a program called VSPE. This is a very useful program which allows you to share serial ports.     http://www.eterlogic.com/Products.VSPE.html

My advice: Since almost all logging programs have free demoes. download them and try them all out. Find the one that suits your interests.

I do 4 or 5 contests a year and use N1MM contest logger, Logic 8 is my everyday logger.
I use FliDigi for digital modes and MMTTY for RTTY. I run them along with Logic 8 (2 Monitors) with no problems.

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 08:30:06 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 12:36:46 PM »

I am a happy DX LABS suite user. Seems like every time I want more from it, it keeps giving. I recently signed up for LoTW and DX Keeper made it painless. Just my $1.50 (adjusted for inflation).

(Dave, I sent you a PM)
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 01:42:58 PM »

I am a happy DX LABS suite user. Seems like every time I want more from it, it keeps giving.

I have it installed but have yet to try it. How does DXLab Suite compare with HRD as far as resource requirements are concerned? HRD is too slow for me.

W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 04:51:32 PM »

My advice: Since almost all logging programs have free demoes. download them and try them all out. Find the one that suits your interests.

Sound advice to see how each behaves with the intended hardware host.

I do 4 or 5 contests a year and use N1MM contest logger, Logic 8 is my everyday logger.
I use FliDigi for digital modes and MMTTY for RTTY. I run them along with Logic 8 (2 Monitors) with no problems.

Lots of logging programs are out there to do many things. Just like to point out (even at this late point in the thread) that DXlab (yes I use it almost exclusively) has bridges to many programs that allow seamless integration of multiple programs. It interfaces with MixW and N1MM to mention a few. I use MixW (I really like it's digital interface much better than Winwarbler - sorry Dave Wink ) and using the Mixw to DXLab bridge s/w (on the DXLab site) I can use both programs together to share rig info as well as QSO data for the log as well as the DX spot s/w, all seamlessly and very effective. I have intentions to setup the N1MM bridge and try that when I can find time to give it a focussed workout.

I must point out that although I am not a user of HRD, I have tried it but I never could get it to be stable enough to use. It kept crashing when used with my TS940S while same PC/same interface/same radio works flawlessly with DXLab Suite and MixW, together or seperately. Not sure why but I did not feel like shelling out money for something that was not quite right in my book.

Hope you found your desired software and it's working 4.0 for you.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 04:57:37 PM »

I am a happy DX LABS suite user. Seems like every time I want more from it, it keeps giving.

I have it installed but have yet to try it. How does DXLab Suite compare with HRD as far as resource requirements are concerned? HRD is too slow for me.

I've used both, I can't remember either of them being a resource hog. HRD looks a lot better but I stuck with DX Labs. I got a new rig last week with a built in USB rig control and audio interface and DX Labs was just a snap to set up and with many features to exploit.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 05:13:58 PM »

Just like to point out (even at this late point in the thread) that DXlab (yes I use it almost exclusively) has bridges to many programs that allow seamless integration of multiple programs. It interfaces with MixW and N1MM to mention a few. I use MixW (I really like it's digital interface much better than Winwarbler - sorry Dave Wink ) and using the Mixw to DXLab bridge s/w (on the DXLab site) I can use both programs together to share rig info as well as QSO data for the log as well as the DX spot s/w, all seamlessly and very effective.

No apology needed, Gene; I don't think one digital mode application can please every user, which is why DXLab interoperates with MultiPSK, MixW, FlDigi, MMTTY, MMVARI, MMSSTV, and DM780.

Dave, AA6YQ
K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 03:05:43 AM »

I use QSL Wizard to do QSL labeling from HRD - both run fine on my Windows 7 shack machine. Since HRD now has LoTW upload along with eQSL, it handles my QSLing fine now. Only thing I don't get is multiple QSOs/label, but don't need that all that frequently. If QSLing is your only complaint, check out BV or QSL Wizard.

I had been using N3FJP, tried DXLabs, much prefer the HRD layout and functionality. I have over 30,000 QSOs in the log, performance is excellent. New releases are slow to come out - waiting for FSK support in DM780 but AFSK works fine.

73, John K3TN

John K3TN
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 10:50:15 PM »

Obviously things have changed at Sun after the Oracle acquisition; I will find out where xVM went. Please let me know how it goes with VirtualBox, even if you ultimately decide to run Windows 7.

Dave, AA6YQ

Well, I installed WinWarbler first, since I've been listening to PSK31. Nothing happens, no display.

HRD DM780 works in Virtualbox, though.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 11:27:58 PM by W0BTU » Logged

AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 11:31:17 PM »

Like one guy posted, download and try them all and
see which one suits you best.  One may have more bells & whistles,
but not be easy to use.

For years I used, and still do, WriteLOG for Windows for contesting.
Then I'd exported my ADIF files out to a DOS version of
Win-EQF
to print QSL Labels and keep track of QSO's.
Why use such an ancient program? Because t was what I
started on, and could do all the commands in my sleep.
I loved that silly old program.  Grin
IN fact I'd STILL be using it if it wasn't such a hassle to
run DOS programs in the fancy new OS's these days,
and it got deleted in a crash and I can't find the FLOPPIES it's on!  Cheesy

Good luck. Have fun.
Use what's COMFORTABLE for you!
Nothing wrong with using more than one program.
You don't have to tie yourself to one of those
 "Does Everything but make coffee" programs!

73, Ken  AD6KA
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: