Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LOW OUTPUT POWER, ICOM 7000  (Read 17064 times)
VE3FMC

Ignore
« on: May 29, 2011, 10:23:05 AM »

I recently hooked my Icom 7000 back up for 6 and 2 meter use the other day. It had been sitting on the shelf for a couple of months since I use my FT-950 as my main rig.

Right away I noticed the 6 meter output was only 50 watts on SSB and FM.

The output was also down somewhat from 20-10 meters into a dummy load.

I contacted Icom Canada about this issue since my rig is still under warranty until the end of November of this year.

I was advised that the drop in power was likely due to a weak driver.

I was prepared to ship the rig back for repair until I read about someone else having the same problem on the Yahoo Icom 7000 forum.

Someone advised to remove the fuses in the power cord, clean them and put them back in.

Lo and behold that solved the low power output. The guy who posted that fix said this is a common issue with the fuses in the 7000. Icom has not acknowledged this to be a problem.

So I am passing this along in case anyone else has the same problem. Pull the fuses in the power cord, clean them and put them back in and see if that helps.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 11:04:20 AM »

I am curious how this turns out. Icom has had a bad rep with their PA lately.
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 11:07:40 AM »

Or you can do like I did with my IC-706MKIIG.  I cut out those lousy cartridge fuse holders and spliced in automotive fuse holders (Mouser 504-BK/HHG).

Phil - AD5X
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 12:58:54 PM »

Or you can do like I did with my IC-706MKIIG.  I cut out those lousy cartridge fuse holders and spliced in automotive fuse holders (Mouser 504-BK/HHG).

I would not do that until the unit is out of warranty. However, if that is the fix, after the warranty, I would do it the minute it need to be done.
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 02:57:38 PM »

You really think that cutting into the power cord on an amateur radio will void your warranty?

73 de N4CR, Phil

We are Coulomb of Borg. Resistance is futile. Voltage, on the other hand, has potential.
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 03:53:55 PM »

You really think that cutting into the power cord on an amateur radio will void your warranty?

In this day and age who knows? But you would not ship the radio back if under warranty with the power cord. At least I would not bother doing that.
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 08:36:42 PM »

In this day and age who knows? But you would not ship the radio back if under warranty with the power cord. At least I would not bother doing that.

I would not hesitate for one second to cut into a harness and do anything I pleased with it. No company in their right mind would care. If a company made it known that buyers could not modify the wiring harness they would soon be out of this business.

73 de N4CR, Phil

We are Coulomb of Borg. Resistance is futile. Voltage, on the other hand, has potential.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 06:11:51 AM »

I would assume not. But who the hell knows. Besides, in my dealings with Icom, I would think they would void the warranty, because they can and they want to.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 06:52:44 AM »

I would assume not. But who the hell knows. Besides, in my dealings with Icom, I would think they would void the warranty, because they can and they want to.

Just don't ship the power cord with the unit if you ever have to send it in for warranty service. 

BTW -  In the warranty shops where I've worked over the years, that kind of power connector harness has never been used to void a warranty, we put the warranty seals on the case of the unit itself and the power umbilical is outside of that case.  Moss-Magnuson act if you are stateside. 

In my personal experience, in all these years doing service work at different shops, on all sorts of consumer products, I have personally witnessed so few cases of actual warranty voiding that they are memorable.  In most cases, all the customer would have to do is complain a bit louder - and the company will authorize the repair anyway.  So many approach the counter with conspiracy in mind these days, everywhere I've ever worked, we try to make the customer happy, we do not try to void warranties.   Can say the same for most all of the parent companies we have done the warranty service contracting for. 

WR0F

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 05:07:28 AM »

Well I checked out my ICOM 7000 this morning after seeing the LOW OUTPUT  of 70 watts on 10 meters .
I did remove the 2 inline fuses  and cleaned them. Immediately my power jumped back up to 100 watts .
This did solve the problem.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 07:04:00 AM »

Well I checked out my ICOM 7000 this morning after seeing the LOW OUTPUT  of 70 watts on 10 meters .
I did remove the 2 inline fuses  and cleaned them. Immediately my power jumped back up to 100 watts .
This did solve the problem.

And, it did NOT void the Warranty. 

Fine Business

EnJOY

WA2JSG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 08:27:24 PM »

It worked!  Noticed power down on my '7000. Cleaned fuses and voila!  Back up above 100 watts!
G8JNJ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2013, 07:27:56 AM »

Hi All,

Note that this isn't just an Icom problem.

All Tranceivers with a DC input cable and in-line glass bodied fuses, tend to suffer from it.

I've soldered my fuses into their clips. No problems since.

If they blow it will be for a reason.

So I'm not worried about having to swap them out quickly.

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ

www.g8jnj.webs.com
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2013, 07:51:05 PM »

Everyone is missing the elephant in the room. What was the voltage going into the transceiver? 12.5 to 14.0 volts can be 50 watts output difference. Yes a bad connection or resistive fuse can act as a dropping resistor and limit the voltage at the radio.
N4ZY

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 07:13:34 AM »

Thanks for the low power reply. I have a 756 pro 3 that I have sent in for this same problem. it comes back from repair and is a o.k. then it happens again. I just read your post about cleaning fuses. and Behold. it cured my problems. thanks to a bunch of Good OPS . I feel much better.
                Thanks to All.
            JIM N4ZY
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: