Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: JT65 Suggestion  (Read 3303 times)
KE3WH

Ignore
« on: May 30, 2011, 01:02:47 PM »

I am new to this mode, and I like it so far. Little impersonal, but sure can pick up signals buried in noise.

If someone is looking for DX, maybe replace the CQ with DX, ex. DX KE3WH FM29, or CQ KE3WH DX.
I was thinking of replacing the initial CQ reply with the sig report macro. I am assuming that everyone using this mode has a PC, and can or will look up the responders call, so maidenhead is extra info not needed. And lets face it, most of us really do not know how Maidenhead works anyway.

Thanks for reading!
Dan

First ticket 1980. Ex KA3EWT, N3DSO.
K1DUQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 09:44:07 AM »

I have to respectfully disagree with the maidenhead remark.  On the WSJT S/W package the maidenhead coordinate instantaneously tells me how far away the other person is as well as the azimuth, useful for rotating the antenna (wish I had one!).

It's cool to instantly know you're communicating to someone on 10 Watts, 3343 miles away!

G4FUT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 10:51:31 AM »

Many of us collect the maidenhead squares; it adds spice to the game.

Even if the voices aren't real, they have some pretty good ideas
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 01:51:54 PM »

What I would like to know is why you see NO GRID on w6cqz@w6cqz.org for most stations reporting?

When you register you are asked to enter your grid square. Please do it. I use the page that only shows who I am copying and who is copying me. It would be nice to see the mileage between myself and the stations who copy my signal.
KE3WH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 08:05:31 AM »

For US contacts I think state abbreviation would be more useful than maidenhead.
For DX, the call prefix tells me where the station is.
I get mileage and heading from HRD log entry. But I suppose this technology is not the norm.

Dan

VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 02:56:46 PM »

For US contacts I think state abbreviation would be more useful than maidenhead.
For DX, the call prefix tells me where the station is.
I get mileage and heading from HRD log entry. But I suppose this technology is not the norm.

Dan

Dan what I meant was when using the website to see who is copying your signal it would be nice to see the mileage there.
G0GQK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 03:03:43 PM »

You're a good number of years out of date, it isn't called Maidenhead any more. They are now IARU locator squares, and the IARU is International Amateur Radio Union. The locator squares are used to define the location of the station you are contacting and they are used all over Europe on PSK, JT65 and 6 and 2 metres.

G0GQK
KE3WH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 03:46:10 AM »

lol, well I feel a good number of years out of date too!
I dont play on VHF/UHF, even if I did I dont see how a grid could quickly tell me where someone is.
In the US the state will tell me where to point the beam, the prefix will tell me where to point for DX.
If I am interested in collecting the grid I can get it later.
Just think other information could be more useful in the JT65-HF QSO.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 03:50:50 AM by KE3WH » Logged

NR4C

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 11:10:57 AM »

"I am new to this mode, and I like it so far. Little impersonal, but sure can pick up signals buried in noise. "

This is what jt65 is all about.  Making contacts with low power when other modes won't even hear the signals.  It is not a 'rag chew' mode filled with gobs of free text and such.  It works because it follows strict format rules.  The software at each end knows what to look for, where to look and when.  You can find many 'locator grid' maps on the internet to help you figure out where the other station is.  Also, the call sign should be a general clue as to what is local and what is DX.

And, yes, I'm new to this mode myself.  But I like it and don't mind the 'impersonal' aspect so much.

Good luck.

...bc   nr4c

VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 03:00:28 PM »

Hi Bill

Check this site out Bill. You can see who is copying your JT65 signal on the band you are operating on.

http://jt65.w6cqz.org/newuser.php

All you need to do is register and away you go.

If the reporting station has their software set up with their Grid square listed you can see the actual mileage your signal is covering.

It is kind of neat to see your call pop up on 40 meters from the reporting station in VK or ZS land when running 5-10 watts to a 40 meter dipole hung at 30 feet.

73, CYA on the bands
Rick VE3FMC
WD0MYM

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 06:59:45 PM »

Dan,

I like your idea...they still get the grid anyway. The "DX" could help a person save some time if he/she is working on DXCC or just wants to work some DX. I'll probably still stick to the standard stuff for now but you do see some non-standard things anyway.

I like "DX KE3WH FM29" better than "CQ KE3WH DX". The first one contains more info and if I saw it I would have no problem understanding what you are wanting. The transmissions are time consuming why not increase your odds of working the stations you want to. It would be tough to incorporate the state (HI, AK, IL) in place of the "DX". I would be asking myself "Are they in that state, or needing that state?" Folks operate portable, etc. can't always go by the qrz bio. May not have internet access in some places anyway.

I also like psk reporter if you have never checked that out.

Jon
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 07:01:29 PM by KB0TVL » Logged
KJ4VTH

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 07:29:09 PM »

It may be a good idea (or maybe not) but until it's implemented it's not a good idea call to "CQ DX yourcall" in JT65 because when someone responds it's "DX hiscall" instead of "yourcall hiscall".  It's better to use the mode in the intended manner as it works very well. 

I have worked many DX stations just by listening and noting the grid locators. And I use low power (5-10w) and simple antennas (hamstick or G5RV).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: