Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bill Dubord, N7XF, sk  (Read 986 times)
NI0C

Ignore
« on: June 03, 2011, 01:17:59 PM »

I was saddened to read of Bill Dubord's passing in the June issue of the Mississippi Valley DX & Contest Club newsletter: http://www.mvdxcc.org/

St. Louis, Missouri amateurs will remember Bill as W9QDF (pre WW 2), W0QDF, W0NPI, and W0KF.  Bill was a sales manager at Walter Ashe Radio, and helped me to set up my first station.   After Walter Ashe Radio was sold (to Radio Shack), Bill started up the Ham Radio Center in St. Louis. 

Bill was once prominent on the DXCC Honor Roll, and was interested in QRQ CW.

Chuck  NI0C
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 05:53:36 AM »

"After Walter Ashe Radio was sold (to Radio Shack)..."

I have many fond memories of taking the bus downtown to Walter Ashe on Saturdays and of Bill Dubord in the '50s. But the best purchase I made because of Walter Ashe was stock in Radio Shack Corporation which only had about 10 stores when it bought Walter Ashe. Yes, for a brief time, that "Shack" had a full line of ham equipment. Funny to think that some mid-1960s Collins S-Line equipment came from Radio Shack!

I bought shares around 1966. I was about 20 and just getting interested in the stock market. Radio Shack was >90% owned by Tandy, but I bought stock in Radio Shack which traded Over The Counter. Within a few weeks Tandy acquired all remaining Radio Shack shares. I was forced to exchange my Radio Shack stock for Tandy stock.

As I recall, I paid $19 a share for Radio Shack but only got the equivalent of $17 in Tandy stock. I was furious and thought of selling!  But not for long...
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 12:49:21 PM »

I'm very sorry to learn Bill passed away.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: