Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with First HF Shack  (Read 4073 times)
KC2UGV

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 07:53:09 AM »

I suggest your upper floor.

Why?

If you can put the antenna outside, you wont have much with RF issues.  As long as you use a balanced antenna, you shouldn't have RFI issues.

Grounding, could be an issue.  However, if you take a look here: http://www.w8ji.com/house_ground_layouts.htm

You will see that second floor grounding issues can be resolved.  Common entrance for cabling, bonded grounds, no ground loops, and a good electrical ground will all set you up with a great set up.

Also, above ground floors, you wont need a hammer drill to put cabling through the wall Smiley

I have a second floor ham shack.  There are some deficiencies in my set up (Which I'm getting around to correct), but they are not insurmountable, nor difficult to resolve (Except the electrical ground, which requires a new power line to get pulled though a wall).

So, put it where it's most comfortable to operate.  If you end up putting it in a "complicated" spot, that just means you'll quickly become an expert in resolving grounding (RF and Electrical) issues.  More often than most, you'll be chasing ground loops and equipment isolation anyways.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 08:31:40 AM »

You want basement here if possible. Any dampness can be easily overcome. Drilling through a block basement wall is not that hard as it is mostly hollow and does not require a hammer drill. It also places station further away for antenna which is good for possible RFI issues. It is generally quieter too and less effected by outside audible noise. 

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
KC2KMJ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2011, 05:43:48 PM »

Thanks guys. I decided on the 1st floor end room...aka, her "ironing room".  It's a little tight but better than the 2nd floor and now I just need to get the actual equipment. Smiley  I have the 10' post installed and now just have to get the dipole up. It's pretty much East to West so I don't know how much of Europe I'll be able to do but we'll see.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: