Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: magnetic return paddle ??  (Read 5624 times)
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2011, 09:45:24 AM »

Chuck wrote:

"I was primarily curious if there were some obvious characteristics that could be attributed to the magnetic return as opposed to the spring."

Chuck, when you press a paddle with a return spring the force INcreases with the path of the paddle
When you press a paddle with a magnetic return the force DEcreases with the path of the paddle.

PA0BLAH
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 01:50:43 AM by PA0BLAH » Logged
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2011, 05:41:30 PM »

. . .

Chuck, when you press a paddle with a return spring the force INcreases with the path of the paddle
When you press a paddle with a magnetic return the force DEcreases with the path of the paddle.

PA0BLAH

That depends on whether the magnets are attracting each other, or repelling each other.

For the N0SA single-lever paddle:

http://n0sa.com/?page_id=56

the magnets are repelling, on the _outside_ of the moving arms.  So, as you press the paddle, the force (acting to keep the contacts open) increases.   That's what happens with a spring.

For some other designs -- for example, the Vibroplex Square Racer:

http://vibroplex.com/square_racer.html

the magnets are attracting.  The space between the magnets increases as the contacts close, and the force decreases.  There's a distinct "clicky" feel with that arrangement  (with wide contact gaps) -- not bad, but different from a spring.

With really narrow contact gaps, both springs and magnets have "nearly constant" force as the contact go from "open" to "closed".

Charles

PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2011, 01:49:50 AM »

Charles,

You are right, I didn't notice the repelling use of magnets.

I should not prefer the repelling type  for three reasons.

1) As you remark: for the usual small pathlength of paddle movement, the return force is nearly constant just as with a mechanical spring.
2) permanent magnets are losing H force in time, especially with air gaps in the fieldline path. And "stored" in a repelling position, I expect  that effect will  happen considerably faster.

Another disadvantage of magnets is probably  that the repelling or attracking force is not linear increasing with the setscrew position, but in a kwadratic way.

PA0BLAH
KA2DDX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2011, 03:41:42 AM »

I have the Begali Magnetic Classic and the MFJ. The MFJ is a Bencher knock off. The Begali runs circles around any spring return paddle, imho. There is a huge difference between the two. If you are thinking about a magnetic paddle, bite the bullet or ask Santa to drop one off in December. You'll be happy, I bet. In between these two on the price scale, I also have the Kent tp-1, which is a very nice and affordable paddle, much better than the MFJ and about 150 bux.

73s - Larry
N0UY

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2011, 04:49:30 AM »

GM Chuck,

I have both the BY-1 and the Mag Classic.  I use the Bencher when portable, and the Begali in the shack.   The magnetic return is by far my favorite.  I have used the BY-1 for 10 plus years until buying the used Begali at a reasonable price.  As far as light touch, I can adjust the magnetic return to send a character anytime I blow on the finger piece.  It is a double paddle not a single like you have suggested you want.  I have a similar condition in my hands that you described with yours.  I don't use my fingers as much when sending as I do just a slight movement in my wrist.  Setting the paddle for a very light touch has made sending for hours quite comfortable for me.  I don't know what this snap return others have mentioned is but I assume it is something that may occur if the contact spacing was set very wide.  I have mine set so you don' feel or hear any contact movement at all.  I love it.

GL with your choice.  If you buy one and don't like it there is always someone wanting to buy a new or different paddle for their shack.

Ray
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: