Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PSU PSK31 and ICOM 706MKiiG  (Read 3491 times)
KC3JV

Ignore
« on: June 07, 2011, 10:39:26 PM »

I'm new to PSK31 I bought a Signal Link USB but got tired of all the wires and having to plug in my laptop and the room it took.   So I just ordered the PSU PSK31 modem, a mini keyboard and Type #1 cable.   I am going to sell the Signal Link any thoughts on the $$ I should ask?  Any thoughts on getting started? so I don't have a hassel.

Mark KC3JV
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 11:33:28 PM »

FWIW --

I don't like to pay more than about 70% of the "new" cost, for a used item.  I think the SignaLink runs about $100 new (with cable).  So (if I wanted one) I'd be willing to pay about $70.

Others may differ . . . Have you checked the "Sold" listings in the Classified Ads on this site?

Charles

AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 12:34:29 AM »

I'm new to PSK31 I bought a Signal Link USB but got tired of all the wires and having to plug in my laptop and the room it took.   So I just ordered the PSU PSK31 modem, a mini keyboard and Type #1 cable. 
What's a "PSU PSK Modem?
Do you mean the NUE PSK Digital Modem (originally
from the New Jersey QRP Club) like this?

http://www.nue-psk.com/
I'm curious as to how well it performs vs. a real computer,
real sound card, and serious software.

Looks pretty spiffy, but that screen is awfully small....

Ken, AD6KA
KC3JV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 10:10:06 AM »

Hi:

As soon as I get it and it's up and running I'll let you know how I like it.   And yes I got the letters wrong.

I built my own magloop from copper water pipe and I'm going to give portable operation a try.

Mark KC3JV
KC2UGV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 10:29:14 AM »

How old is the Signalink?

If it's still within a year of purchase, I'd say from $80-$90US.  Much older than that, $70-80US.

Or, hang onto it until you come across a new ham looking to get going with digital modes Smiley
KF5IIL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 10:55:31 AM »

I'm using the NUE PSK and it is pretty cool.  The display is actually quite easy to read (I have the USB option, also, so I can save off my QSO's to a file).

There are still a few quirks I am learning about (apparently you don't put the modem too close to an antenna if you are portable, even if QRP'ing below 5 watts), but it is pretty decent and easy to use.
KC3JV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 07:04:01 PM »

Thanks for all of your replies.   The unit is 6  months old so I'll put it up for sale.  TNX.

Mark KC3JV
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 01:36:40 PM »

I'm using the NUE PSK and it is pretty cool.  The display is actually quite easy to read (I have the USB option, also, so I can save off my QSO's to a file).

There are still a few quirks I am learning about (apparently you don't put the modem too close to an antenna if you are portable, even if QRP'ing below 5 watts), but it is pretty decent and easy to use.

Thanks for the info re the NUE PSK Modem.
So you  are saying it is very susceptible to RFI?

I was imagining building a "Pure PSK rig". I have Small Wonder
Labs QRP PSK rigs for 4 bands, an HF Projects 35w amp,
and an LDG Z-11 tuner (Rated at 30 watts, good to 60 watts),

I was thinking of mounting that stuff all in one enclosure
with the NUE Modem. That way I could operate
PSK31 in the field with just that custom rig,
a keyboard, a battery, and some wire.

But I'm not spending the money on that modem if it's gong to futz up
even at QRP levels into a portable antenna.
73, Ken  AD6KA
KF5IIL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 01:16:32 PM »

AD6KA,
I think you may be okay with doing what you are proposing if you do things like putting ferrite cores over the power and keyboard leads (this is my understanding from the folks that make the unit).  I ran into this situation while out in the field (literally in the field) out in way west Texas (Fort Davis, Texas, during Texas Star Party).  I saw some odd behavior in my modem and found that one likely culprit (through the NUE PSK designers' experience) was RFI.  I didn't have cores over my power and keyboard leads at the time and have since taken care of that, which so far, has seemed to alleviate the problem.

They (NUE PSK) do shield the equipment as well as they can but that can't stop everything.  I think if you are making such a consolidated rig (or any sort of consolidated rig or "go kit") you should always take things like cable shielding and RF grounding into consideration when it makes sense (which I am sure you were planning to do with your PSK rig idea).  

Your PSK rig sounds like a terrific idea and I think something like the NUE PSK would integrate well into that.

David KF5IIL

AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 02:49:31 PM »

Thanks for the tips, David! (KF5IIL).
I will email you some more questions, don't want to jack the thread.
73, Ken AD6KA
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 08:24:54 AM »

Why all the wires with an IC706MKiiG and a SignaLink-USB? One cable between the SignaLink and the ACC connector on the back of the 706 and one USB cable between the SignaLink and the computer.

Personally, I'd hang on to the SignaLink-USB. The NEW PSK modem is great for portable operation, but I'd much rather have a laptop or other computer for fixed station work (bigger screen, logging, macros, other modes, etc).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: