Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LED, DC Powered, Atomic Clock?  (Read 3507 times)
N5BCN

Ignore
« on: June 08, 2011, 01:54:20 PM »

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a clock that has the following?:

1) Syncs with WWV
2) Ability to show UTC
3) DC Powered
4) LED

I'm NOT interested in LCD backlit clocks, or AC Powered clocks with battery backup.  The LCD backlight is generally momentary, and battery backup clocks keep time during an outage, but shuts off the display until power is restored.  Both would be useless during a power outage.

Maybe somebody could design such a beast?

73 N5BCN - Brian
W6RMK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 05:02:53 PM »

Lead acid battery, UPS, etc.

How long do you want the display illuminated for when running on battery power?  Maybe you could float a rechargeable battery across an existing clock circuit.

You might be able to take one of the LED display clocks that turn off the display when on battery and modify it.  It's probably just a diode or something.
N5BCN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 07:11:57 PM »

I want to run the clock indefinitely off of DC power (either battery or DC power supply).

W6RMKS' idea is interesting.  I do have a clock that meets 3 out of 4 of the requirements, but it runs off an AC wall wart.  I suppose I could mod it to run off of DC, I'll have to experiment a bit.

Someone else suggested the following: Heathkit GC-1000 atomic clock.  It would be great except it's no longer made and goes for about $250-300 on eBay.

N5BCN - Brian
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 09:04:50 PM »

It's not likely something you are looking for, but there are a few Arduino projects out there for picking up WWVB and decoding it. Arduino devices typically run on regulated 5VDC, so it should be fairly simple to run them off a battery setup for extended periods. The LEDs will tend to drastically reduce battery life, so you should plan on using AC when it is available.

The nice thing about DIY is you can make it the way you want. The bad part is you have to do a lot of the legwork. But at least with Arduino there's a fairly good community who seems willing to help out.
K2QB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 08:16:42 AM »

What am I missing?

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3914

W6RMK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 10:16:11 AM »

I want to run the clock indefinitely off of DC power (either battery or DC power supply).

W6RMKS' idea is interesting.  I do have a clock that meets 3 out of 4 of the requirements, but it runs off an AC wall wart.  I suppose I could mod it to run off of DC, I'll have to experiment a bit.

Try running it off DC.. Unless it uses the AC for timing (always possible), it will probably "just work"..
N5BCN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 01:59:56 PM »

K2QB:

Thanks for the suggestion.  The Wal-Mart clock is LCD, with a momentary (5 second) backlight.  I'm looking for a LED clock so it can be seen at all times, regardless of lighting conditions.

73 N5BCN - Brian
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 02:36:09 PM »

This may not be what you want, but not long ago I bought a Casio watch for my car, for logging.  It was about $27; it can be set to show UTC/GMT, 24h format, it's solar powered, and it sets itself by WWVB every night.  So for a relatively few bucks, I have an accurate GMT clock in my car; no more converting local to UTC while driving and trying to write down a contact!  :-)  Pretty good deal, I'd call it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: