Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gap Titan mounting location???  (Read 1789 times)
W1EL

Ignore
« on: June 09, 2011, 10:03:27 AM »

I've had this Gap Titan DX for a number of years. At the first location I had it mounted on a small rise in a 2 acre clear area, and I was fairly happy with its' performance. Now, I've moved to a wooded lot (60-70 foot white pines) and don't have a clear area of any size available for the Gap. I don't think it performs well surrounded by trees.
The question: I am installing another 50" tower to support solar panels and could mount the Gap on top of that. It would not be the easiest install, but doable. I all ready have another tower with a Tennadyne T-6 at 50'.
Has anyone mounted one of these Gap antennas high, and was it worthwhile? I'm looking for low angle on 40 and 75m.

Thanks, Eric (W1EL)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 11:53:40 AM »

Never have mounted a gap high up in air but if you favor 40 and 80 it has been my experience that trees and even houses seem to have little effect on signal at lower HF frequencies. Elevation does seem to help 20 and above though, 

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
W1EL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 11:03:09 AM »

Thanks! I'm leaning toward leaving the Gap ground mounted, and maybe building a 40/80 rotatable dipole for the second tower. I need a few more on each of the low bands for 5BDXCC.

Best Regards, Eric (W1EL)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: