Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Question  (Read 2670 times)
KC5PCS

Ignore
« on: October 03, 2001, 06:58:21 AM »

First thanks for all the posts to my other question about the "First CW Radio."  Your information will be very helpful.

Now for the new question.  A friend and I were argueing about CW operation.  I am under the impression that CW can be used on any band at any place on the band (assuming you have privileges on that band).  Of course, you may have to schedule a contact in order to have anyone to talk to and you must be aware of and respect other modes in operation.

My friend told me that I was wrong and that CW was limited to the CW only portions of the bands.

Can any one clear this up?

Assuming I am right, I am thinking about getting on 6m with another friend and practice my CW.  I am a Tech.

Thanks
KC8SBV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2001, 09:24:51 AM »

Sounds like fun to me.  You can choose a simplex freq if you are going to use FM, or a CW freq between 50-50.1, if you have a SSB/CW radio.  FM simplex freq can be found in your states band plan.  I found mine at my states repeater council web page, interestingly.  Here, a club is setting a "slow code" net on 2m using a simplex freq.  I am putting up an outside antenna, and getting a key and audio oscillator ready to take part.

73, and have fun!
Ed KC8SBV
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2001, 11:51:05 AM »

You are right.  There are "band plans," and then there are "frequency allocations."  The "band plans" are suggested, organized and published by the ARRL, and are essentially gentlemen's agreements about where to operate.  The "frequency allocations" are mandated by the FCC in Part 97.

CW is allowed anywhere in any band, as long as you operate within the terms of your license privileges.  On 6m, CW is legal from 50.0001 to 53.9999 MHz.

For more information in a very understandable format, go to:

http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/allocate.html#6

73 Steve WB2WIK/6
KC8SBV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2001, 01:10:42 PM »

I stand corrected.  Steve will always show up, and then you get the real scoop.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: