Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NAQCC monthly sprint is tonight 8:30 -10:30 EDT  (Read 1947 times)
AE4RV

Ignore
« on: June 14, 2011, 08:25:48 AM »

Jun 15, 2011 0030-0230Z (tonight!)

My favorite monthly sprint/CW contest is tonight. It is pretty casual and straight keys are encouraged so speeds tend to be fairly low. Most ops will respond to a QRS by slowing down for you if needed. This is a great and fairly gentle introduction to CW contesting and good practice for CW ragchewers who want to try something different, including DX*. There will be some crowded-band weak-signal work to dig in too, but don't be fooled by the QRP aspect - there will be many strong signals to choose from. The last two months really surprised me with so many 599+ signals.

Speaking of straight keys, feel free to use paddles or bugs. I gave up straight keys some time ago and switch between paddles and bugs for this one. Lately using the bug again.

You do not have to be an NAQCC member to participate. Simply send your power in watts instead of a membership number. QRP is encouraged but even that is not mandatory, although members must use QRP and QRO ops are not eligible for prizes.

http://naqcc.info/contests.html

http://naqcc.info/sprint_rules.html  <-- includes info on using the free GenLog program for logging - very well tailored to NAQCC sprints

http://naqcc.info/sprint_tips.html

Hope to see you there!

73, Geoff AE4RV

*I'm not trying to imply that there will be much DX to work, but that this style of operating is good practice for aspiring CW DX ops.
KC9TNH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 10:39:36 AM »

Thanks for posting that; just sent the app in but I will give this a shot tonight. With my 817 into a THP amp it's easy; don't turn the amp on. Or punch the button to give a hard-pounding member a QSO. Should be fun.

Wes -KC9TNH
"Don't get treed by a chihuahua." - Pete
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 10:49:26 AM »

You're welcome!

You might just get your member number in time. It's a great club and their sprints are fun, I look forward to this every month. I get a little better every time, but if you only make a few QSOs on your first effort, you did OK.

73 Geoff AE4RV
N3PDT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 02:05:12 PM »

Thanks for the heads up! NAQCC sprints are always fun. See you tonight!

Doug N3PDT
KC9TNH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 07:29:26 AM »

You might just get your member number in time. It's a great club and their sprints are fun, I look forward to this every month. I get a little better every time, but if you only make a few QSOs on your first effort, you did OK.

73 Geoff AE4RV
Geoff, no number but I played for about 1.5 hrs at 50w and hopefully someone needed my state or area. Coming from a mil background I found it a great training venue - for how to work in a hostile electronic environment. I don't mean that disparagingly to anyone participating; it just is what it is, with big amps firing up spontaneously 100Hz away, and the QRN and the weather and all. Dividends paid to listening, and a thorough zero-beat of one's "target." And then crawling my brain down inside the far-end of my 14AWG wire to keep the faith with "my" station at the other end. Lotsa fun - and most enlightening. (Now I know what I sounded like pedaling as fast as I could with my 4.8w barefoot 817 - Uff da!) Nice lesson for me though, found I have started to hear/copy the essentials in my head, which is progress for me.

Neat event - I'll be trying that again.

Thanks again!
Smiley

Wes -KC9TNH
"Don't get treed by a chihuahua." - Pete
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 08:22:00 AM »

That's great, Wes. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I understand what you mean by operating in a "hostile electronic environment" - the natural band noise, very crowded condx, the QRM, the PSK sigs on 40M, low power - it's a real challenge, but excellent practice. I do urge you to try it at 5 watts next month. Even at QRP levels I logged many honest 599+ signals.

I do wish more people knew how to zero beat, although that knowledge DOES give us an edge sometimes when playing S&P, doesn't it?.

And again this month, a ragchewer answered my CQ NA while I was holding a frequency and responded to my "5NN 5NN KY KY NR 36XX BK" with the full CW QSO script, replete with repeats. When it was my turn again I said I was in the NAQCC SPRINT and couldn't talk then he said something about not copying well then I said What's your power (hoping to log him as a non-member) then he gave me his FISTS number then I said GOT TO GO 73 73 TU then he came back with the full-on CW "long goodbye". Oh, good times. Seriously, bless his heart, but at the time I was pulling my hair out a little bit.

I wish this event was weekly. It's too much fun.

73, Geoff AE4RV

PS: results are trickling in: http://naqcc.info/sprint201106.html

« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 08:57:19 AM by AE4RV » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: