Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First CW Contesting Experience  (Read 2788 times)
KC0IOX

Ignore
« on: October 07, 2001, 11:30:57 PM »

I just completed my first ever CW contesting experience.  Here were my impressions.  After doing some SSB, I decided to give the CW subbands a shot.  I found that I was extremely apprehensive at the very fast pace of the exchanges, but I forced myself to stay with it.  I made sure that I sent accurate code, and that I worked at my own pace, which was 18-20 wpm, a bit slower than the 30+wpm speed demons; but actually found that the more I stuck with this, the easier it was, and it started to become fun.  I hated to see it end, and want to do another one soon.  Has anyone else had this experience?
KK7JS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2001, 09:51:22 AM »

Absolutely! My first CW contest experience was the now-defunct Novice Roundup. It's always nerve-racking trying something out for the first time, especially something that can be this fastpaced. Glad you had a good time, and try to be on for the largest of all CW contests - CQ WW CW during the last weekend in November. 73 and have fun!
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2001, 01:35:25 PM »

I've been CW contesting for about 35 years and it's great fun, not particularly demanding of great CW skills -- but very demanding of general operating skills and the ability to pick one signal out of many.

The exchange in most contests is so brief that all you need to focus on is getting the other station's callsign and a few additional characters representing the exchange, and you're done.  It only takes a few seconds, surely nothing to fret about.  

If you want contesting to become even more fun and less strenuous for the operator, get some good logging/duping/contesting software and a PC interface.  Using WriteLog for Windows and a Rig Blaster, I don't have to send _anything_ during a contest, the software does it all, and all I need to do is copy the other station's callsign and exchange and type it.  This makes 200 QSOs/hour quite easy, especially if you can type!

73 de Steve WB2WIK/6
KC2DUA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2001, 06:52:38 PM »

I had a great first CW contest experience. I hadn't done any contests before this one. It was a lot of fun only got 3 hours of it becaue of other things I had to do over the weeked but I cant wait until another contests I can do! it was so much fun (Oh yea by the way it was the PA QSO party)
73 ALL
KC2DUA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: