The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First CW Contesting Experience  (Read 7787 times)
KC0IOX

Ignore
« on: October 07, 2001, 11:30:57 PM »

I just completed my first ever CW contesting experience.  Here were my impressions.  After doing some SSB, I decided to give the CW subbands a shot.  I found that I was extremely apprehensive at the very fast pace of the exchanges, but I forced myself to stay with it.  I made sure that I sent accurate code, and that I worked at my own pace, which was 18-20 wpm, a bit slower than the 30+wpm speed demons; but actually found that the more I stuck with this, the easier it was, and it started to become fun.  I hated to see it end, and want to do another one soon.  Has anyone else had this experience?
KK7JS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2001, 09:51:22 AM »

Absolutely! My first CW contest experience was the now-defunct Novice Roundup. It's always nerve-racking trying something out for the first time, especially something that can be this fastpaced. Glad you had a good time, and try to be on for the largest of all CW contests - CQ WW CW during the last weekend in November. 73 and have fun!
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2001, 01:35:25 PM »

I've been CW contesting for about 35 years and it's great fun, not particularly demanding of great CW skills -- but very demanding of general operating skills and the ability to pick one signal out of many.

The exchange in most contests is so brief that all you need to focus on is getting the other station's callsign and a few additional characters representing the exchange, and you're done.  It only takes a few seconds, surely nothing to fret about.  

If you want contesting to become even more fun and less strenuous for the operator, get some good logging/duping/contesting software and a PC interface.  Using WriteLog for Windows and a Rig Blaster, I don't have to send _anything_ during a contest, the software does it all, and all I need to do is copy the other station's callsign and exchange and type it.  This makes 200 QSOs/hour quite easy, especially if you can type!

73 de Steve WB2WIK/6
KC2DUA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2001, 06:52:38 PM »

I had a great first CW contest experience. I hadn't done any contests before this one. It was a lot of fun only got 3 hours of it becaue of other things I had to do over the weeked but I cant wait until another contests I can do! it was so much fun (Oh yea by the way it was the PA QSO party)
73 ALL
KC2DUA
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 03:21:53 AM »

Using WriteLog for Windows and a Rig Blaster, I don't have to send _anything_ during a contest, the software does it all, and all I need to do is copy the other station's callsign and exchange and type it.  This makes 200 QSOs/hour quite easy, especially if you can type!
Oh dear. This was 15 years ago, and woe, look at the original post, how KC0IOX was having great fun in a real CW contest, but now that fun has degenerated to button pushing and/or software. How prophetic WB2WIK was, even after 35 years of contesting, to embrace DCW, though for me that takes AWAY the fun. To each their own, but DCW should be in the digital band and contest category.

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever
K8PRG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 04:47:39 AM »

I hated to see it end, and want to do another one soon.  Has anyone else had this experience?

I can see how one can get the contesting "bug"....I checked one out (and have heard others)....tried it....and I was actually surprised how it didn't do anything for me.
I'm usually attracted to playful competition, but so far, no "bug".
For now, chasing numbers among SKCC members is as close to contesting as I care to get.
M0LEP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 07:16:34 AM »

For now, chasing numbers among SKCC members is as close to contesting as I care to get.

Some folk get a kick out of frenetic competitiveness, I guess. Like you, I prefer something a little more relaxed. For me, it's SOTA, mostly, but there are plenty of schemes out there; just pick any that take your fancy. The advantage of most of them is that there's activity somewhere most of the time, so you can dip in whenever... Smiley
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 07:55:16 PM »

I would welcome a VK ZL equivalent of ROPOCO that does sort things out.  You receive 0435 send 0179 next qso you send 0435 and receive TX38 then you send TX38 and receive whatever.

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 12:01:02 AM »

I would welcome a VK ZL equivalent of ROPOCO that does sort things out.  You receive 0435 send 0179 next qso you send 0435 and receive TX38 then you send TX38 and receive whatever.
Rotating Post Codes. Sounds great to me. Would you or anyone volunteer to e.g. receive logs and sort things out? I'm happy to help with publicity. Would this be on a certain date once a year? If so, when (perhaps looking at existing contest calendar). Frequencies would be limited as they are with ROPOCO. I'd also welcome a "QTC" style activity whereby QTC are passed on and scored, perhaps with each QSP incrementing some number by one (?) and at the end we can see how much QTC changed or whether they remained intact.

GW3OQK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 05:08:17 AM »

ROPOCO has now become RoLo, rotating locator, passing on the locator received, so all amateurs can join in. Would be nice to hear some VK/ZL (or NA) on 80m 3rd April 1900 RoLo. To my chagrin you can get penalised if the sending station sends a code but logs it incorrectly. e.g sends yo30 but logs it as y030.

The passing QTC is a good idea too. "Send reinforcements we're going to advance." "Send three and four pence we're going to a dance" comes to mind.
73, Andrew
K8PRG

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2016, 06:34:31 AM »

I just completed my first ever CW contesting experience.  Here were my impressions.  

Sorry about your thread being hi-jacked...maybe you can start another one up later.
I really would like to read others' first time contesting experience...maybe it would convince me to jump on board.
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2016, 06:52:22 AM »

K8PRG Pretty Rare Genius Cheesy the original poster was back in 2001 in case you did not notice it, I somehow doubt they're still watching.

VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2016, 07:03:26 AM »

ROPOCO has now become RoLo, rotating locator, passing on the locator received, so all amateurs can join in. Would be nice to hear some VK/ZL (or NA) on 80m 3rd April 1900 RoLo. To my chagrin you can get penalised if the sending station sends a code but logs it incorrectly. e.g sends yo30 but logs it as y030.

The passing QTC is a good idea too. "Send reinforcements we're going to advance." "Send three and four pence we're going to a dance" comes to mind.
73, Andrew
Sounds like a good idea, the QRA-locator and "ROLO", I didn't know of these activities, so it sounds like ROPOCO has now gone international as ROLO? So perhaps it only needs some promotion down under? And I wonder how the QTC idea could work in practice.

VE3LYX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2016, 07:11:31 AM »

My first experience was a couple of years ago. I entered the Bruce Kelly Memorial held every year by the AWA group. It isnt so much about the contest as it is an event for dragging out the pre 1929 Ham gear. I have to say I haven't had that much fun in a long time.
I entered again this year and enjoyed it more. I am not even close to being a threat but with code speeds around 10 to 15WPM and rigs sounding a bit like quacking ducks is was a joy to be involved. Power is limited to 10W input till midnite then 20W is allowed till 8 AM so some DX can be made. Distances are typical for ham radio on any given day. In fact the old rigs seem to get out better even at low power levels. I always send in a log just encourage the organizers even though I don't really care where I stand. Just fun to be in the fray! Since then I have worked a couple of other CW events for vintage gear but ones without the power restrictions. I use my 211 tubed rigs there and it is fun running those huge old 1920s style tubes on CW. Usually I receive on a regen to keep it legite and use a modern RX for spotting potential victims. You haven't lived till you have heard QUAAAAAAAAAACK QUA QUAAAAAAAAAAAACK QUA     QUAAAAAAAAACK QUAAAAAAAAACK QUA QUAAAAAAAAACK in my opinion. What a thrill to participate.
donVe3LYX
K8PRG

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2016, 10:03:08 AM »

the original poster was back in 2001 in case you did not notice it, I somehow doubt they're still watching.

It wasn't meant for him.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: