Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 20 meter wire with GAIN  (Read 5878 times)
KJ4BLD

Ignore
« on: June 15, 2011, 05:32:25 AM »

Hi , can anyone reccomend a 20m wire antenna with gain ? Im lloking at the Carolina windom 620 and the windom HSQ 10-40 FROM ANTENNAS ANDMORE. Any suggestions and constructive comments appreciated,

Thanks for all your opinions guys.  I want to switch to this antenna to have better communicaion into Jamaca and South America.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 03:40:35 AM by KJ4BLD » Logged
K7UNZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 06:58:28 AM »

Hi Mike....well, if it's gonna be strictly a monoband ant (20m), the first thing that comes to mind is a simple 3/2 wave dipole, center fed with 50 ohm coax.

Hang it horizontal or as an inv-vee.

73, Jim/k7unz
N3WAK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 06:59:49 AM »

Hello.  If you're a new ham, I recommend you make your own wire antenna.  Even a simple, coax-fed dipole for 20 meters, hung as an inverted vee, will work great.  You can "roll your own" inexpensively and learn a tremendous amount in the process.  You might also take a look at http://www.qsl.net/wb1gfh/antenna.html  

So--don't buy.  Build and learn.  A QSO using an antenna you made yourself is much more fun.  73, Tony N3WAK
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 05:41:27 AM »

A 20M wire antenna with gain is of use only if you can position the antenna in a direction that makes use of the gain.  Which direction that might be depends upon where you want your signal to be the strongest.  Generally speaking, a wire antenna might exhibit gain in two opposing directions, at the expense of all other directions.  So, unless the antenna can be positioned so the gain is best in your favored direction(s), you will end up with less gain in some directions than if you'd used an omni-directional antenna (vertical for example).  If the goal is to maximize the signal into Europe or Japan (or any other single direction), a simple vertically-oriented 3 element yagi beam works well and is inexpensive to build, providing you have some trees in the right direction.  The elements can be hung from a single line between two trees and the results can be quite impressive.   Ground mounted vertical arrays are also easy to build for 20M and can be built in configurations where the directivity is steerable electronically.  The vertical elements can be wires hanging from trees, supported by fishing poles, etc. and the necessary steering networks can be purchased from DX Engineering, Array Solutions, or built at home.

73, K8AC
KJ4BLD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 07:42:31 AM »

Hi Mike....well, if it's gonna be strictly a monoband ant (20m), the first thing that comes to mind is a simple 3/2 wave dipole, center fed with 50 ohm coax.

Hang it horizontal or as an inv-vee.

73, Jim/k7unz

Thanks Jim, I like your opinion. What do you think of a 3/2 in a Half Square configuration ?
Thanks again,
mike
K7UNZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 02:27:05 PM »

Can only say to try it and see how it works.

That's part of the fun with simple wire type antennas.
They can be total duds or extremely versatile, all depends
on the location and installation (hi).

I've had good performance from 3/2 wave dipoles in the past.

73, have FUN!
Jim/k7unz
KW4CQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 04:18:01 AM »

Michael, if you have the room, why not put up something like an Off Center Fed Dipole (OCFD) that covers multiple bands and provides some gain on 20m?  Google the web for "OCFD" and you will find lots of DIY information on building one of these antenna along the results it provides.  Mine is at 45 feet facing broadsid towards Europe and South America and I find its performance to be outstanding.  Another antenna which will give you some gain on 20m is an 80m full wave loop.  There were times when my loop would outperform my tower mounted 11 element Log Periodic Array beam on 20m by one or two S-units when doing some A/B comparisons.  You just never know until you try some wire in the sky.  Good luck Michael and 73. Bob, KW4CQ in Virginia
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 04:20:18 AM by KW4CQ » Logged
WB4TJH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 06:28:52 PM »

The Carolina Windom 620 is NOT a gain antenna, since it's only a half wave in length on 20 meters. Get at least the 40 meter version,  or better yet, the 80 meter version, and it will show some gain, as it is a full wave or more  on 20. The cheapest/simplest "gain" antenna on 20 would be a simple full wave dipole...about 66 feet or so, fed with balanced feed line. The 3/2 wave suggested above would be a super antenna on 20.
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 09:03:37 AM »

In the real world NONE of the OC fed wire antennas have any noticiable "gain" over a simple coax fed half wave dipole cut for the operating fequency.  IMO save your $$$.

Of course you can build wire V antennas and rhombic antennas (if you have the room) and you are talking real gain.

Dick  AD4U
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 10:43:53 AM »

In the real world NONE of the OC fed wire antennas have any noticiable "gain" over a simple coax fed half wave dipole cut for the operating fequency.  IMO save your $$$.

Of course you can build wire V antennas and rhombic antennas (if you have the room) and you are talking real gain.

But it's mostly useless gain unless you actually like talking just to one place.  A really high gain wire antenna is something I'd only use as a supplementary antenna to something with a broader pattern.

If I had a big enough space and enough supports that I could build a high gain 20m wire antenna pointed in whatever direction I chose, I might do it and point it a hair west of straight North to give me huge gain into SE Asia.  But I'd still want some broader-patterned antennas for the same band at least.  Otherwise my 20m antenna would become pretty much useless when the geomagnetic field got unsettled.

I agree that there's little point to doing something other than a half wave dipole for a single band antenna.  I don't want a sharper pattern than that for my ONLY antenna unless I can steer the beam somehow.

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 01:41:36 AM »

Why not build a G3TPW Cobwebb antenna? 5 full sizes dipoles bent into a square and with an omnidirectional pattern. Plenty of plans on the internet.
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 10:27:51 PM »

Here's the one I think you're referring to, it is an OCF Fullwave on 20m. It's in Bill Orr's w6sai HF Antenna handbook on page3-21. This is the book for wire antenna experimenters.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: