Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Discrimination ?  (Read 3208 times)
9H1FQ

Ignore
« on: June 15, 2011, 08:23:40 AM »

I often communicate with fellow amateurs around the world, expressing my views and exchanging information on technical matters.
 Occasionally, I  do not expose my call sign immediately, but when I do, most radio amateurs ignore me! And never reply back, or do not reply at all.
 The web is almost dominated by US and UK fora and discussion groups and they give the impression that they are supreme, or infallible! A well known qrp club discriminates between dx and US & UK amateurs. This is especially true on their discussion group, where UK and US amateurs can express their views freely, with very little, or no moderation, as against the opposite, with DX amateurs.

Paul Debono
 Proud to be 9H1FQ

An unknown gem of the Mediterranean sea is the Island of Malta. blessed with warm sun , all year round.
In just one day, you can see places which will make you travel in history from the Prehistoric temples throu the middle ages, the Knights of Malta, all the way to world war two. All the major civ
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 08:57:34 AM »

May I offer you a wedge of cheese?

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KJ4FUU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 09:23:40 AM »

Can you give us an example of one of your posts that got moderated?

-- Tom
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 09:45:38 AM »

I'd bet that most American hams here--the many non-DXers, or VHFers or low band ops, or novices--don't even realize that 9H1 is a ham prefix, a fairly rare one from North America.

Posters who don't use call letters on eham here are held in lower regard because active members tend to think they are hiding something which is sometimes the case.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 09:46:13 AM »

Paul,

I've read your post several times and frankly, I'm having a difficult time understanding what the hell you're talking about!

Are you talking about ham radio via RF, you know, like transmitters and antennas or the eHam forums here.... what?  Both?

If you're talking about "on the air" contacts, I don't understand because I worked a 9H4 recently and he had quite a pileup going so he wasn't having a problem with EU or U.S. "discrimination."

If you're talking about posts here on eHam.com, I still don't know what you're talking about because several people, and I'm only assuming they are hams, use screen names instead of callsigns and they get plenty of responses and or comments.

I troll troll through several forums here on eHam.com sometimes twice a day, with the idea that perhaps I can help others with what I've learned through 55 years of hamming.  I have YET to see any form of discrimination here, including CB'rs.  While many comments and or opinions are not complimentary, they are not vicious the posters are not ignored.

Perhaps you could redefine your problem so we can help.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 09:47:48 AM by K8AXW » Logged
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 10:05:47 AM »

When a poster uses one of those newfangled UK "2E" calls I always wonder for a second why he adopted an obscure vacuum tube (or is that a transistor?) as his screen name. Same thing with Ken, AD6KA, who sometimes goes by 5R8GQ, a well known rectifier tube. Smiley

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 10:13:59 AM »

When a poster uses one of those newfangled UK "2E" calls I always wonder for a second why he adopted an obscure vacuum tube (or is that a transistor?) as his screen name. Same thing with Ken, AD6KA, who sometimes goes by 5R8GQ, a well known rectifier tube. Smiley

On some forums I use, I too use a screen name.  On these "other" forums the reason for that is to remain anonymous.

On eHam, I think most that use screen names are somewhat embarrassed to ask questions that they feel might make them look dumb, or inadequate.  Many times I wish I had used a screen name after posting a stupid question or comment!   Cheesy
WY3X

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 01:51:12 PM »

I'd bet that most American hams here--the many non-DXers, or VHFers or low band ops, or novices--don't even realize that 9H1 is a ham prefix, a fairly rare one from North America.

Ummm... did we take our big ol' tugboat over to the Mediterranean and pull Malta across the Atlantic towards the American coastline yesterday?  Cheesy

73, -WY3X
9H1FQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 01:54:01 PM »

What I mean is on the web, not on air.
On air is a different story. We are chased as dx. That is ok
And I did not mean all !!, but most.
Only today , I had a very detailed technical report from Rick, KK7B, about my experiments on how to eliminate AM breaktrough in DC receivers, like the R2pro, Tayloe, etc.  which is a plague  here in Europe.
But I am still wating for a reply from  W6JL, who never showed up !
This just one example in a day's work. I am a pensioner and a cancer survivor, and spend most of my time homebrewing and experimenting, rather than operating. When I pose a question to a dx ham, he promptly answers, not the same for UK and US !!!!

Take for example, the GQRP club. Rev Dobbs is very understanding and helpful, with no predjudice. But, Mr Fishpool, the moderatyor of the forum, is very predjudice. He runs the forum as a British Admiral, the glory of the Long Gone British Empire !!!. UK and US hams can say antything, gfreely,  but me, no.

Sorry guys, but my predjidice is proving right !!

Paul

9H1FQ

An unknown gem of the Mediterranean sea is the Island of Malta. blessed with warm sun , all year round.
In just one day, you can see places which will make you travel in history from the Prehistoric temples throu the middle ages, the Knights of Malta, all the way to world war two. All the major civ
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 02:08:54 PM »

Sounds silly to me. 

Maybe some guys just don't like DX. Tongue
9H1FQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 02:13:20 PM »

Dear WB2WIK,

I see, you do not have much to say !!
Go on say something more , go on !!

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 03:11:56 PM »

Dear WB2WIK,

I see, you do not have much to say !!
Go on say something more , go on !!

I don't have enough information to really have an opinion.

Sometimes "on the air," American hams will shun some DX stations due to accents they can't understand well and stuff like that.  But your English writing is fine, and I have no idea if you have an accent since I can't read that.

I have no clue why people wouldn't reply to you.
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 05:00:56 PM »

Well if you have read these forums very often and noticed the horrid spelling and rotten syntax used and noticed the same questions repeated time and again (my rig is broke what
do I do to fix it?)  you might just decide that the reason you don't get answers is because
the people you are asking have no idea what you are talking about.
The newspapers in the USA are filled with stories about how bad our education system is and
how nobody knows how to fix it and how we pay poorly performing teachers to sit in rooms doing nothing while receiving full pay.
I wonder if you aren't better off it they don't answer.
On the other hand, nobody "owes" you an answer.
Allen
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 06:16:30 PM by KA5N » Logged
9H1FQ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 07:59:46 PM »

As far as I am concerned, the subject is closed. I am sorry I had to mention names, as I was forced to my apologies

di di di dah di dah

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 10:06:54 PM »

Paul..... you can close the subject if you wish.... but since you started it, why not finish it?  Since we really don't know what specifically you're talking about, perhaps you could expand on that. 

Since you say that you build and experiment, do you think that you're posting questions that few if any are able to answer? 

Is that the only forum you have this problem with?

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: