Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hamtronix - Caveat Emptor - Buyer Beware  (Read 7080 times)
K7EA

Ignore
« on: June 16, 2011, 06:48:14 AM »

Let the buyer beware.  

Just a note about my recent experience with Hamtronix.  I placed an order a week or so ago and two days later my credit card was hacked and was involved in fraudulent activities.  This was the first time I have used the card in months so the trail to Hamtronix is a mile wide.

While the product and delivery from Hamtronix was good, I have to think somewhere in their process, my card information was compromised.

I strongly advise anyone thinking about using Hamtronix to think twice and shop somewhere else.  Or at the Very least use PayPay, Not your credit card.

Just sayin'  from My experience.

Bill K7EA
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 07:24:06 AM »

Jeesh!!!!  Have you phoned Hamtronix about the problem before "Just sayin?"

Why Pay Pal? It's easy to request a charge back on a major credit card. I've done that three times in the past two years (and replaced my card twice), and never after buying ham equipment. In one case the card used was counterfeit since someone actually showed up in a WalMart 400 miles away with "my card!"

It MIGHT be one of their employees or some other leak thru their company or payment system (did you buy online thru a shopping cart?) in which case they would be a victim too. Do you really think the owner is on a spending spree with customer credit cards?  Incredibly unlikely.

Call Hamtronix and report back.  

« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 07:28:51 AM by K0OD » Logged
K7EA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 07:41:40 AM »

Jeesh!!!   Yes I have been in email contact with Hamtronix and they deny any possiblilty that Hamtronix is at fault.  Maybe so, but still with international purchases, better to be safe.

While it is real nice that you tolerate misuse of your card, some of us do not.  Easy to request a charge back?  Help yourself, I have better things to do with my time.

I don't 'think' an employee foisted it nor do I 'think' the owner is on a spending spree.  Just a word to the wise about credit card use, and in particular my bad experience with one company in Brazil.

You say:  "..some other leak thru their company or payment system."  Brilliant statement, now try to read my post:  "somewhere in their process"

73  Bill
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 08:30:34 AM »

But your post didn't include this important info: "they deny any possiblilty that Hamtronix is at fault. Maybe so" 

It's always best to contact the the company-- the owner of the company, not an employee-- before going on the attack. "Just sayin'' may be cute faux ghetto-ese, but it's not a defense to defamation.

OTOH, I would wonder **IF** a company "denies any possibility" that they may be at fault. Even with a one-man operation, nothing is 100% secure.
K7EA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 10:30:43 AM »

I must say that the people at Hamtronix have gone out of their way to make sure this problem was not within their control.  They have contacted recent customers and alerted them to possible problems, and are acting very responsibly in this matter.

We may never know exactly how the info was leaked, but two thing remain:

1-  Hamtronix is doing all it can to try to make sure they are not at fault.
2-  When this type of unfortunate stuff happens, it is each of our responsibilities to do all possible to warn others and protect ourselves.

73 and watch your card accounts closely!

Bill
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 10:32:15 AM by K7EA » Logged
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 10:58:59 AM »

When you use your credit card online, you take a chance that someone somewhere can somehow get access to your information.  One important thing to remember BEFORE you type your card information into the payment form on a website is to make sure the website address begins with   https://   not just    http://   .

You would be surprised just how many people forget that one simple yet important fact--and even if you don't and make sure that 's' is there, the payment service can still be hacked.

K7EA is right about another thing--overseas payments.  My local bank sent out a notice that they will no longer allow overseas charges on their customers accounts--unless the customer notifies them in writing that they will be using their card overseas--and in certain countries--before the fact.  You have to wonder why.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 11:02:23 AM »

One of my card statements last year had two spurious charges, both easy to spot: an order for 13 pairs of "flip flops" (cheapie shoes) and another for several hundred dollars worth of Harley Davidson parts. They went to different states and names used were different.

Who steals flip flops? And 13 pairs of them?

My main card is quite active with wife and two kids (one away in college, with roommates) using the same card. The college kid puts everything on plastic. And he eats fast food three meals a day.

Still, it takes a minute or two to scan a CC statement, a good practice in any event. Fraud happens and so do mistakes. 

Online shopping has proven to be remarkably safe both for the customer and for the merchant. And for the credit card companies who continue to profit handsomely. My own business sells online with losses < 0.1%... far less than our losses on bad checks. 

PY2JF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 01:33:24 PM »

A word from Hamtronix about this claim

It's always fair to listen to the another side of the story

As soon we get this complain from this customer:

• - We Immediately shut down our credit card payment system
  • - We called our IT support and asked for a complete system check up

After a day checking every connection log in our server and finding nothing suspect, we contact every single customer which bought with credit card payments for the previous 30 days and ask them, just in case, to contact the credit card issuer for verification. Almost 100 customers were contacted and I'm glad to say no one had any kind of fraud.

Our IT team finding nothing, we went further and hired a security consulting firm for a deeper analisys. After a couple of days, we had the confirmation; Hamtronix’s server was no compromised by any means.

Hamtronix uses EV (Extended Validation) certificate cryptography, which turns you address bar green, used by few companies which went to the trouble to issue this high end certificate. So we are very confident using the best  security available for our online transactions, and not those shared certificates used by most.

That said, for the consulting firm, probably the computer system used by the costumer was infected.

We are in the market since 1986, present in more than 40 countries, and we never had any issue like this before, and we still doing the best we can to ensure confidence from our international customers. We can guarantee we have, if not the same, better security than many online stores.

For any further information, just contact us.

Sincerely

João Ferreira
sales@hamtronix.com
www.hamtronix.com
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 09:03:29 AM »

I don't think anybody could ask for more from a company, I really think this thread should be deleted, not because the OP did not have a valid complaint but the fact that the company has done as many checks as humanly possible and it would seem very likely that the CC info was hacked out on his PC.  This is a very common practice, many emails and websites are infected with viruses that scan for CC info and when found upload it to a hacking site.
KB1YOH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 03:15:50 PM »

I've had great luck and a perfect record of safety by using the "Virtual Account Number" system that is offered by Citibank.  I believe that Chase and Chase-sponsored cards have a similar system.

Basically, you logon to the Citibank or Chase site for each online purchase, and then you obtain a temporary credit card number with its own expiration date (which is about one month later) and its own verification number.  Next, you use this virtual account number on the web page purchase just like you would use your permanent credit card number.  The purchase will show up on your statement and purchase list seen online at Citibank just like other purchases, and each use of the virtual number is easy to identify.  Also, you can easily get a list of your Virtual Account Numbers and their uses through Citibank's web site.  It only takes a minute or two to get the Virtual numbers.  I always copy them to a Notepad text file so I have the number at hand while I'm buying something - the Citibank app lets you copy and paste the numbers from their pop-up window into Notepad or Word or whatever.  All this takes much more time to describe than to actually do.

With this system, you have much less risk to your credit card due to theft or fraud since the Virtual Account Number can't be used for long and it is easy to cancel it in case of trouble.  Even if hackers steal the vendors' credit card lists, they only get a transient account number for you, not your permanent account info.

I've used this system for several years and never use my permanent numbers online.

I hope this helps.  If you think the system is a good one, please spread the word to others.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 06:11:49 PM »

hi,

Bank of America also has the virtual account number on
their website for one time use or with a spending limit,
nice for monthly charges over several months.

73 james
N9RO

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 09:30:12 PM »

While it is real nice that you tolerate misuse of your card, some of us do not.  Easy to request a charge back?  Help yourself, I have better things to do with my time.

Great response to a foolish post.

Real techies don't use knobs.
KA1BIN

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 01:15:31 AM »

Many, many years ago (1997) I had a web portal site (full of links to click on).
A friend of mine received a bad virus that wiped out the hard drive. I was blamed because he said "I got the virus at a web site listed on your portal site"

So he clicked on a link that took him to an external website that may or may not have had malicious code. But the website wasn't blamed, my portal was blamed.
As far as he was concerned, I gave him the virus.

Forget the fact that in 1997, the number one source of viruses in the world was America Online. I use to watch my friends virus program squawk everytime he would open those "A friend has sent you a greeting card" email. Of course the odds were that the virus came inside one of those countless "Greeting Card" emails.

But no, I was to blame.

Really cool blaming an American Business for the Credit card theft, simply because of timing. ....."Haven't used my credit card for ages and as soon as I shop at that business...... my credit card number is stolen.  Really cool!

Oh Darn, I just lost my electricity here at my home. I was clicking on a Google search. GOOGLE MADE ME LOSE MY ELECTRICITY. I'm going to tell the world!

Steve- KA1SMC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: