Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Contacts while mobile  (Read 1311 times)
KK4CPH

Ignore
« on: June 16, 2011, 06:01:57 PM »

Hi all.  Just got my Tech license. (Took the test @ hamfest in Knoxville, TN.  What a great group of people!)
I have a question regarding being mobile.  When starting or responding to a contact, should I say "mobile" after my call sign?
I'm thinking that if I'm local I don't need to, but if I'm on a road trip that I should?  Huh
Didn't see this written anywhere but just want to have good radio etiquette. 
Thanks in advance,
Eric
KK4CPH
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 06:05:46 PM »

Your should say "mobile" with call when you are mobile even when parked if not at home.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
KK4CPH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 06:08:21 PM »

Your should say "mobile" with call when you are mobile even when parked if not at home.

Got it!  Smiley
Thanks for quick reply.
Eric
KK4CPH
N4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 06:11:41 PM »

Use of identifiers such as "mobile" and "portable" are optional when operating in the U.S. At one time, they were required by the FCC but that hasn't been the case for many years -- well over 25 by now. However, that being said, if you are operating mobile, by all means say so after your call when giving an ID. Same for portable. But it's optional, by current FCC regulations.

73, N4KZ
KK4CPH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 06:22:40 PM »

Just thought it would be the right thing to do, lest I go out of range or thru a tunnel and have the other person wondering if it was me or their equipment.
Thanks,
Eric
KK4CPH
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 07:08:19 PM »

You are not required to keep a log anymore too but many still do like myself.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
KC8OYE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 08:00:39 PM »

I like to use mobile, portable, porta-mobile, and base depending on what I'm doing )

I use them mainly as an indicator.. so if my signal isn't all that, or I disappear for a few seconds.. if people know I'm mobile.. and can just sit tight.. Ill be right back Smiley

also saves me having to explain why I'm picket fencing or whatever Smiley
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 08:40:09 PM »

"Portable" and "mobile" are optional - sometimes they provide useful information to the other station,
other times not.  I don't bother saying "mobile 7" when I'm chatting with friends on the way to work
on 2m, but I would use it in an HF contest where there is a multiplier based on states to indicate that
I'm not in California as my callsign might otherwise suggest.

On voice you can just say that you're in the car running down to the store (so the other station
knows you'll only be on for a few minutes) or headed out to Laramie (which might start a discussion
about things to see in Wyoming.)  I find that approach to be a more natural mode of conversation.
Sometimes I'll use it if, for example, I've been talking to someone from the house and am continuing
from the car - not because it is required, but as a fun "here we are again" thing.

So, like most other things, you can tell people you are mobile when it conveys useful information and
skip it when it isn't - that seems like the best etiquette to me.  You certainly don't need to say it every
time you ID.
KC8OYE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 08:43:18 PM »

especially when you are portable it's good to note that.. then you don't get the standard barage of 'boost your power' comments.. 5w is all she's got captain!

lol
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 08:57:29 PM »

I only say "mobile" or "portable" when calling or answering a CQ.
After I've established the fact I am driving on Highway 118 near Piru,
or camping on the South Fork of the Merced River in Yosemite,
I see no need. Like one poster said, it's more natural.

Have fun and enjoy the hobby!
73, Ken  AD6KA
N4KC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 11:20:57 AM »

As others have said, add "mobile" not because it is required any longer but to impart information.  Yes, it might explain to the guy you are talking to why you have flutter on your signal or have a siren in the background.

I operate a ton while doing my morning walk so I ID as "pedestrian mobile" or even "tennis-shoe mobile."  I was just at the beach for a week and always ID'd as "portable" or "portable from the beach," to let guys know I had limited power and antenna, but also as a conversation starter.

I do remember the really old days when hams would proudly identify as being "mobile in motion!"  It was a big deal back then.  And we once had to identify with the call district in which we were portable or mobile, such as "N4KC mobile 5."  It's still not a bad idea if you are out of district, just to let folks on the repeater know the band is not open to 5-land.

You can relax and enjoy, though.  By the way, congrats on getting the ticket.  We'll look for you "on the wind!"

Don Keith N4KC
www.n4kc.com
www.donkeith.com
http://n4kc.blogspot.com

KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 04:08:59 PM »

And to clarify further, just in case, there is no need to append "mobile" when talking on an FM repeater. 

A lot of questions that may come up that refer to operation, what to say, what not to say, etc. can be solved by first listening to others on the band and then do it like you hear the majority of them doing it. 

N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 12:49:18 PM »

If I am rolling down the hiway and working 40 meters SSB, I will usually say mobile at the start of the qso, or when calling CQ.  when driving local on a 2m/440/6m/ 220  local repeater, I seldom say mobile. every now and the when you call mobile on HF some one will ask where looking for a specific grid square, county or even state. so it may be  a good idea. some  HF nets like you to call in as a mobile as the come back to you first as you could loose you signal if waiting for any appreciable time.
KK4CPH

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 09:17:10 AM »

Thanks to all for the info and advice.  Very much appreciated!
And to Don (N4KC), I like your website.  I really like that upside-down umbrella antenna. 
Talk about ingenuity.... very impressive!

Eric
KK4CPH
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: