Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New ham getting on HF frustations.  (Read 3517 times)
KG4WXP

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2009, 12:56:46 PM »

>>Otherwise, if it's convenient, lay them on the ground. I prefer that method because it's easier.<<

How do you mow your yard?
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2009, 01:09:39 PM »

The easiest way to put down radials is to mow the lawn as close as you dare. (Some wait till fall, then scalp the lawn) Next lay the radials down and keep them as tight to ground as you can (I use lawn staples made just for this purpose - got them from a fellow on eBay).  When the grass grows it will slowly bury the radials as you mow at the normal height. I am in the process of doing this right now for my 40/80M vertical.

Clint - W5CPT
KE5WRC

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2009, 05:21:15 PM »

What interface are you using to do digital? I have the MFJ-1279 and I have been unsuccessful in getting HRD to connect to the IC-735. HRD says that it cannot read the freq, which i was expecting, but will still not connect to the radio and let me send or receive signals.
KB1GKN

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2009, 08:31:45 PM »

The MFJ-1279 that you have is a great interface for getting audio connected between the computer and rig but it is just one piece of the puzzle. To get the IC-735 to work with the rig control features in HRD you also need a CI-V interface between the rig and computer. I recently sold my '735, but when I was using it I was using an interface that I picked up on ebay for under $20. With a bit of configuration in HRD I was able to get great results with rig control. As I recall, the baud rate was the big issue I had getting it up and running - I think I had to set the interface baud rate in HRD to 1200 or something like that. A google search should help you find more info...

73!
Russ KB1GKN
KE5WRC

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2009, 04:22:37 PM »

Awesome thanks, I've got an interface on the way. We'll see how it turns out. Thanks for the help
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2010, 11:23:40 AM »

One question nobody has asked - why feed a 40m dipole wiht twinlead when the feedpoint is a natural match for coax ? Run coax from dipole to transmitter or tuner, and make some contacts on 40 and 15. add 30m or 20m dipoles in parallel to the same feedpoint, enjoy those bands too.
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2010, 06:50:10 AM »

If your vertical is 3 feet off the ground, you should relocate it so it's at max. 6" off the soil.  At 3 feet, the pipe is perhaps acting like a partial other half of the antenna, and may be doing wierd things.  Your installation should look something like this:  http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/TwoSevenRight/2uH_ind2.jpg
......and I highly recommend joining a club in your area.  It will help you immensely.
VE3QJ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2011, 05:29:36 PM »

I just moved into a new place and there are trees above the area where i want to install the antenna. They are quite high (the branches overhead) and i would like to know that would be a problem.
Thanks
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: