Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Common HF Mobile Frequencies  (Read 4660 times)
WB0KSL

Ignore
« on: June 19, 2011, 06:53:28 PM »

Can anyone suggest common frequencies for mobile operation on HF.  I'm primarily interested in activity on 20, 40 and 75 meters.  Looking for some idea of where to tune some Hustler resonators for an upcoming trip.

Thanks,

John - WB0KSL
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 12:32:04 AM »

Forget 75 meters. THey're so inefficient that 100W in is usually 1-3W out. If you're not operating CW, I'd just center 20m on 14.200.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 05:49:58 AM »

After 41+ years of operating mobile, I would say the best bang for the buck is on 17 meters when the band is open. Antenna efficiency can be as high as 75% or so, and with 100 watts, you can work the world.

Twenty is good too, but to get to 75% efficiency on 20 meters is difficult. When the band is open, it doesn't matter.

Forty isn't that good during the day, however, it is a decent night, and early morning band.

Eighty, and 160? If you just want to have an evening rag chew with friends, I suspect they're okay, but you can expect super results with just a watt or two ERP.

Frequency? Any where your license will allow you to go.

K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 07:11:37 AM »

Back when I ran hustler coils I had my whips notched so I could adjust between phone and CW relatively quickly.  40, 30 and 20 are the mainstay bands.  17 is OK but a bit sparse compared to 20.  Nets can be fun on SSB and contests are fun on CW, so there's no one frequency or even band segment that's "better" than the other.  Just depends on what you want to do the most.  And, with hustler coils, you need to choose in advance because it's a PITA to keep stopping to dork with the whips and swap out coils.  I ended up going with a screwdriver antenna which made a huge difference in cutting down on passenger seat QRM.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
AJ3O

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 01:11:24 PM »

Tune the Hustlers to the center of the band that you are able to use for your license. Then get yourself an MFJ -902 tuner. You could then make adjustments as needed for each band. Sure you will have to pull over to do this, but it would get you more bandwidth for the Hustlers. Just read the manual thoroughly and have fun.

I was going that route, but got a great deal on a Little Tarheel II that I couldn't pass on before I went with the sticks and tuner.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 02:26:48 PM »

Forget 75 meters. THey're so inefficient that 100W in is usually 1-3W out. If you're not operating CW, I'd just center 20m on 14.200.

I agree 75 mobile is kinda a exercise in futility. 40 is quite doable though. On 20m I would tune around 14.250 or so as tuning in advance /extra phone section could limit contacts somewhat.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
WB0KSL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 06:23:57 AM »

Many thanks for the comments and advice.  I dug around in stuff collected over the years and found resonators for 15, 20 and 40 (found 80, too).  I will tune the 15, 20 and 40 resonators for the middle of the phone band.  I plan to toss an LDG IT-100 between the 706 and the antenna.  Hopefully that will allow me to range a bit farther from resonance.  I'll leave the 75/80 resonator at home.  No time left to get a 17m one, Alan.  I leave for W. Va on the 23rd.  Nick, KC0FFN and I are both long time amateur astronomers and are going to the Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers conference at Green Bank.  Should be fun.

Thanks

de John WB0KSL
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 04:17:01 PM »

No time left to get a 17m one,

If you have some spare whips around, you can probably use your 15m resonator with a longer whip (or a capacity hat) than usual, and tune it on 17m; that's what I'm doing.  Hope you have a good trip!
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 08:09:37 AM »

To augment AC4RD's comment, I characterized long whips on 15M hustler coils and have the data at my site:

<http://www.qsl.net/k5lxp/mobile/HustlerCoil/coil.html>

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 06:30:50 AM »

<http://www.qsl.net/k5lxp/mobile/HustlerCoil/coil.html>

Mark, that's great--illustrates it very nicely!   I never feel like I explain things well--but now when I want to tell somebody about using a resonator on a band different from the one designated, I can point them to your website!  :-)

I like the page about the homebrew mast--that looks like a fairly easy way to create a mast of any length you have a need for.   I'm going to give that a try--and also look around the rest of your site.  I'm going to share the "Lawnerator" page with some friends who are also interested in emergency power.   Thanks for sharing all this useful information!
KD5TXX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 06:46:55 PM »

I operate HF mobile everyday.  I enjoy 17 the most and have worked LOTS of DX on it.  10M is good too when it's open.  I use a LDG Z100plus tuner and can easily tune 20m on my 17m whip.  I have worked 40m some while mobile but usually just special event stations.  17 Mobile is where it is.
WG3L

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 07:44:35 PM »

I'd LOVE to... but... some of the good ones aren't always in our Ham Bands:

After some earlier visits to Western Australia - where lots of Non-Hams drive about in powerful 4WD vehicles - often provided by their mining companies or gov't employers, equipped with HF transceivers (for their safety & social-networking needs, when traveling in the Aussie Bush), I discovered that HF is still the non-Ham's means of communications, when far away from cities & towns.

Unfortunately, there are still several big "disconnects" between these HFer's (licensed to use just a handful of fixed frequencies) and our Aussie counterpart radio hobbyists:

1. The 4WD clubs (about 2 in number) can only use the handful of fixed freq's

2. As there are 2 4WD clubs, even though they use the SAME frequencies, they are - surprising - not allowed to make contacts between clubs! (except in emergencies, of course)

3. 4WD club bases are able to connect their remote / Bush mobile members to folks they's like to speak with, using phone-patches...

but Aussie Hams are still NOT allowed to use phone-patchs to contact their friends, not even to call out their Auto Club mechanics, if they get stuck when no one is on frequency to ring them!

(I think the reason for THAT disconnect is that Australia's telco (now, known as Telstra) was once (by an earlier name) a gov't owned monopoly.

Today the monopoly is only "de facto" and people are losing money as share-holders are losing money, for a change, ie, rather than as taxpayers. ;-)

Anyway, the "No Phone-Patches!" rule remains to haunt each new generation of Aussie "foundation class" (novice) Radio Amateurs.

One reason Aussie Hams didn't push for phone-patches may be due to the non-zero cost of a local call. Why they don't use some of the cost-free VoIP options is a puzzle to me.)

WHEN, OH WHEN, WILL ALL COMMUNICATORS PUSH FOR FEWER DISCONNECTS?

If we have the technology to connect non-commercial radio users, we should be free to do that; this should extend to the freedom to connect phone calls with non-paying friends, family, et al. (if they want to join a QSO, or speak to someone who is on-air in one) by radio, if conditions are good.

What'cha think? :-)
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 03:44:34 AM »

Search and pounce is the best tactic for mobile DX operation. Most DX stations listen carefully and standby for mobiles.

20 meters is my best band for mobile, my antenna is 82% efficient, so most of my power is radiated. I rarely need the AMP.

40 meters can be a real challenge even with a AMP. I work long path regularly into the Pacific on 40 meters. Antenna efficiency is a real issue on 40 meters making a AMP mandatory.

80 meters in the DX window is possible. I used to work  K6MB(SK) and W6KKt regularly in the DX window. I actually had a  mobile to mobile QSO with K6MB. This was with monoband 80 meter antenna with a Metron Amp.

The best mobile signal that I have heard on 40 meters is from w4ifg(wo7r) Sy has his system so well tuned that he beats most regular hams with average antennas from his mobile. Perfect audio and Perfect signal from Sy. Read his QRZ profile his antenna works amazingly well. His signal Makes most screwdriver antennas sound like hamsticks. From DXérs perspective most screwdrives do sound like hamsticks they so poorly installed when you use Sy's signal as a reference

Can anyone suggest common frequencies for mobile operation on HF.  I'm primarily interested in activity on 20, 40 and 75 meters.  Looking for some idea of where to tune some Hustler resonators for an upcoming trip.

Thanks,

John - WB0KSL

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 06:28:25 AM »

Hem. Guess you never worked me.

I'm not impressed with any cap hat design that is mounted close to the coil. I'm also not impressed with the large Hustler coils, as they actually have a lower Q than their smaller counterparts, due to the large end caps.

And if you will, please, explain to me how you came up with a 20 meter efficiency rating of 82%?

W2RI

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 08:31:54 AM »

The best mobile signal that I have heard on 40 meters is from w4ifg(wo7r) Sy has his system so well tuned that he beats most regular hams with average antennas from his mobile. Perfect audio and Perfect signal from Sy. Read his QRZ profile his antenna works amazingly well. His signal Makes most screwdriver antennas sound like hamsticks. From DXérs perspective most screwdrives do sound like hamsticks they so poorly installed when you use Sy's signal as a reference
Impressive. Incidentally, he's W7VU from today.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: