Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CW and why you can Learn too!  (Read 2063 times)
KD2FAH

Ignore
« on: February 10, 2002, 07:25:41 PM »

Many will agree that CW can certianly be a difficult thing to learn, but its not impossible. I think if you are motivated enough you can do it. I'm near forty and got good enough to pass the 5 wpm code test with less than a month of studying my first go round. I will admit that over the years I have studied code now and again but never bothered to take the test because I was a no-code tech that enjoyed rag-chewing on 2 meter. However, using Morse Academy and spending about an hour a day for a month made it pretty easy, but I was motivated to do it because I have become very interested in QRP. I think its a must skill to learn if you decide to dabble in that area of ham radio. So, now I've started studying for my General License. Only 35 questions stand between me and getting my upgrade. I may never get up to 20 wpm but I recognize CW as a valuable mode of communication.
KB1HJW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2002, 11:27:26 AM »

Sounds like we have a bit in common. I'm just on the other side of 40 (yrs not meters), although I just got interested in the hobby in October, and got my Tech ticket in November. I also thought it necessary to pass the code, spent a month with CodeQuick, and passed the code and General in December. I'm finding that Extra won't happen so fast, but I'm sure trying to get it done before the pool change in July. I'm up to 10 wpm now, and still trying to do an hour a day whenever possible. My goal is to be able to contribute in the contests, but more importantly, to be able to contribute, when heaven forbid, an emergency requires it. Your title is absolutely correct, You Can Learn Too!
KD2FAH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2002, 01:00:43 PM »

Yes, you are absolutely right. Some effort goes a long way and its rewards are pretty high. Though my practical experience is limited it doesn't take a heck of a lot to get through the mix with CW. I'm hoping to sit for my General in March or April.
KD5OWO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2002, 06:38:56 PM »

yes I have been working to get my code done and then I am going to go and get my general written.  Does anyone know a 'Free' Program to download!!!

Steve
KD5OWO
KD2FAH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2002, 07:46:16 PM »

Try Morse Academy. I believe it is still free at http://ah0a.org/AH0A.html
KD5OWO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2002, 11:17:16 PM »

I just got that and I love it!!

Steve Xavier Anness,KD5OWO
Pages: [1]   Go Up