Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ham Radio yet once again on the big movie screen. Who's antenna farms was......  (Read 7795 times)
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2011, 01:34:52 PM »

"Super 8" was a pretty good movie; wife and I saw it yesterday.

I did notice that the "ham" frequency that the one fella was complaining about was "13201" - missing the 20M band just a bit - but the beautiful-looking Heathkit "Seneca" being used might not have worked for that frequency.  "Seneca" was a 2M/6M TRANSMITTER.

Quote from: K7KBN on June 25, 2011, 09:50:58 AM
"Super 8" was a pretty good movie; wife and I saw it yesterday.

I did notice that the "ham" frequency that the one fella was complaining about was "13201" - missing the 20M band just a bit - but the beautiful-looking Heathkit "Seneca" being used might not have worked for that frequency.  "Seneca" was a 2M/6M TRANSMITTER.

Glad you liked it Pat!

I think the Ham in the movie was just refering to him listening to his Ham frequencies and came across 13.201. Whats cool is us Hams or most season Hams would know that band is usually used for Mars operating and a little further up in the 13 MHz range. Military can choose any frequency it wants during times like that.

Anyway!

Came across another show showing some Ham gear just yesterday.

It was on Discovery Channel I believe but caught the tail end of it. The show I think was "Doomsday Prepare'ers" or something. Towards the tail end I can see what's deffinitly a Ham radio for sure. If anyone caught this episode what was the rig he was using?

Wonder if he was a Ham himself?

73!
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2011, 03:13:20 PM »

The latest episode of Leverage had an Icom 756 of some variety on the bench in the comms tent.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K5WCF

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2011, 11:18:12 AM »

The movie Phenomenon, the character Forest Whitaker played was a Ham operator. John Travolta's character starts to decipher high speed morse code being transmitted, I believe, by the Govt. with his new found powers.
KD0LAV

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2011, 06:11:52 AM »

This isn't a movie but a book.  Anyone remember a book back in the 60's called " SOS At Midnight"?  Was about a group of kids, all amatuers in California that witnessed a drug drop and one got kidnapped.  I read it hundreds of time when I should have been studying in study hall.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2011, 07:44:18 AM »

I still have a copy! Walter Thomkins wrote several similar novels on teenagers and amateur radio.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2011, 09:39:00 AM »

I dont particularly read because it bores my nature just sitting doing only that unless a book peaks my interest. This book sounds like a book I can read. Including quite a few movies I'm now looking for I've got a book too.

Gezzz! I won't be leavin the couch for quite a while thanks to you guys. LOL!
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2011, 06:42:51 AM »

This book sounds like a book I can read. Including quite a few movies I'm now looking for I've got a book too.

There are several of those books by Walter Tompkins:  They feature a high-school student, Tommy Rockford, K6ATX, and his friends, using their ham radio skills and equipment to solve crimes and help people.   I loved those books when I found them in my elementary-school library.   Some of the titles to look for are CQ Ghost Ship, DX Brings Danger, Grand Canyon QSO, SOS at Midnight, and maybe one or two others. 

The books were reprinted by the ARRL 20-30 years ago, and I often see them at hamfests in the boxes of used books.  The plots aren't brain-teasers, but they are fun, and I suspect they introduced a lot of kids to ham radio.   Keep an eye out for the books at hamfests--you'll enjoy them!
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2011, 04:02:44 PM »

Not quite Ham Radio but......

The movie "The Perfect Storm"!

Captain -  scene...."No antenna no Radio".....when their approaching the eye of a perfect storm mate's try to re-install the vertical antenna before he witness's it fly away.

Could've tried loading up one of the guy wires or anything else to get the "May Day May Day" transmitted for help.

Someones thinking SWR right? Who cares! Anything would work better than nothing in a situation like that. You'd be surprised how far you can still get out with a 3:1 SWR and how well the rig will handle a 4:1.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2011, 04:19:05 PM »

And the average fisherman knows all about makeshift antennas, right? Smiley

N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2011, 06:17:10 PM »

And the average fisherman knows all about makeshift antennas, right? Smiley

Roll Eyes. Well being you put it that way that's what separates a Ham from the everyday Joe Shmoe. When someone goof's a Ham because today's modern technology has them brain dead lazy the knowledge of good old RF basic technology comes through everytime. Not even a SAT Phone would've worked in that storm. Ah! Maybe I'd give it a 50/50.

Movie is based on a true story so God rest their souls ,but from a Ham prospective watching a movie that's what comes to mind. That's really the point!  Wink
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 06:23:23 PM by N2RRA » Logged
KB1TXK

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2011, 06:10:50 PM »

In the movie Ponyo, and Icom rig is used on 6m using a portable dipole-ish antenna (right next to the ocean too!)

N2HBX

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2011, 04:52:01 PM »

Although not a movie, I remember a TV series where David Jannsen (of "The Fugitive" fame) played a private detective. One of the episodes' central plot elements was a ham operator. I vaguely remember a scene where Jannsen's character was talking to the guy as he was sitting in his van overlooking the ocean working 40 meters.

Larry, N2HBX
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2011, 09:36:55 PM »

That's pretty cool!

Watched "Captain America" tonight and saw some nice vintage AM transmitters as well as hearing CW transmissions during the movie. Not quite Ham Radio but love hearing More Code anywhere.
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2011, 08:42:08 AM »

Big ham radio example on the new recent episode of "After Armageddon" on the history channel.

1 hour and 30 minutes into the two hour episode shows how short wave will be the only form of communication and use a Swan and silver eagle D-104 microphone. Cool!

Not cool if it were to happen!
N0PFE

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2011, 10:31:13 AM »

I can't remember the name of the movie but a guy contacts his dead father in the past to warn him about his mothers murder.....by ham radio using auroral propagation lol.  Pretty good movie non the less.

'Frequency'. Not bad for a very fictitious story line.
http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi3265790233/

...-.- N0PFE
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: