Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyway of Seeing LotW status without signing up?  (Read 2123 times)
KD8MJR

Ignore
« on: June 22, 2011, 01:49:08 AM »

I am curious to know if people have sent me cards but I don't want to go through the sign up hassles unless I have a few new countries already waiting.
Any easy way to see what's under my call without signing up?
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 04:06:39 AM »

I'm not 100% certain, but I'm fairly sure you can't just see who has submitted QSOs with you unless you create an account.

Just MHO here, but there's really no reason NOT to set up a LotW account; it's free and easy--despite the 16-page thread about how 'broken' the LotW system is.  :-)  Most of us find it simple and useful.  :-)
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 04:41:45 AM »

The one word answer...NO
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 06:00:38 AM »

While you can't find out if any stations have logged in QSO's with you without enrolling in LOTW, simply enrolling in LOTW will not allow you to see if you have any QSO's confirmed.  You must input your contacts and they will be compared with contacts others have entered.  The information must match!  So any error on either end will result in no confirmation for that contact (there is some leeway built into the program so if the times are off by a small amount that won't cause a problem).
What is great is that you can enter QSO's from years ago and get confirmation!!  I did this and got credit for several QSO's that were 10-15 years old.  Many hams have uploaded their old paper logs.
I don't understand the reluctance to join up, costs practically nothing.  Once you get used to it, it is not complicated.  You are not compelled to do anything or limited in any real way.
Allen
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 10:06:38 AM »

I just want to thank you all for your replies.
Now I will have to just make up my mind and decide if its worthwhile, I guess from your posts it's a good idea. Just wish they made it easier.
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 10:52:48 AM »

It is easy, very easy, if you use a computer logging program that supports LotW. Most modern logging software does. I recommend DXKeeper. LotW is transparent to me, as DXKeeper does all the work. It's also free, and can import logs from other programs.

Other software in the DXLabs suite shows me a visual band scan, plotted with callsigns from DX clusters, color coded showing me instantly which ones I need and which ones use LotW.

Join up.

73, Geoff
N4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 10:53:53 AM »

As others have said, the secret is to use a computer logging program that supports LoTW. So, once you're set up with an LoTW account, the daily uploading or downloading is super easy. Of course, you don't have to do either daily -- just whenever you want. But it's so easy for me now, I do it every time I operate which is just about daily. It has saved me lots of time and money. I got a LoTW WAS award without sending in a single card. I got 5 band WAC by only having to send in one card because the others needed were LoTW QSLs. In fact, I credit LoTW for getting me off my butt to finally get my DXCC. I'd been a ham for about 35 years but never bothered to send in the cards for a basic DXCC. Just put it off and put it off. But after signing up for LoTW, I soon have 100 confirmed electronically. That motivated me to start culling through 35 years worth of cards. So the first DXCC was a hybrid -- 100 electronic QSLs from LoTW and 155 more countries I had on cards. That made me a first-time DXCC member with 255 confirmed right off the bat. Then there was no stopping me as I worked more and continued culling through years of cards and entering rare DXCC QSOs from paper logs from decades back. Now, just as few years after that initial LoTW 100, I now have 332 confirmed. Frankly, without LoTW motivating me, I'd probably still have zippo for a DXCC country count.

73 and GL,
N4KZ
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 12:18:38 PM »

Exactly. LotW is the ONLY reason I am pursuing DXCC. I have no interest in dealing with international postage and green stamps. (I might do that for a few rares ones but not many)
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 02:14:31 PM »

NO .... that is what a DOUBLE BLIND SYSTEM is about. You can't see who QSL'ed to you and they can't see your entries until the arbitrator (the DXCC server) decides there is a match and then you both get to see the matching QSL.

That is the problem with eQSL. I can get a notice of a QSO I did not have logged (for whatever reason) and I can enter a matching QSO into eQSL and get a confirmation. This creates basically 'BOGUS data' and that is why the League will not accept eQSL trash. I get about 25 eQSLs a year from stations I never heard of. I keep a fairly accurate log and although I have an occasional busted call or missed log entry, I highly doubt I have that many.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
N0AZZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 04:26:31 AM »

LoTW so easy even a caveman can do it. The best thing to happen to awards programs in many years plus they are good for CQ awards also.

I have 183 countries confirmed on LoTW. I used only LoTW for my original DXCC and received it in 8 months.

Good Luck and get signed up soon you will save money I know that I have.

73  Fred
N0AZZ
NE5C

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 03:07:20 PM »

I earned my DXCC off of LOTW...Man ...Just No reason not to take advantage of it
God Bless N5JFJ - Jerry
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: