Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VHF CW for a technician.  (Read 1912 times)
HAMSTER05

Ignore
« on: March 23, 2002, 12:58:35 AM »

Hi everyone. I have a question about using CW on
VHF.  Can I use CW legally on the VHF/UHF bands
that are allowed by my Technician license?  I want
to get a VHF all-mode radio and actually us CW on
the air to practice for my code test. Is this legal?
Thanks in advance for the help, hamster.
KC8RXE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2002, 04:56:11 PM »

I'm a Technician newbie, but I've heard it said that CW is a valid operating mode in any Ham band. I've also heard that in the band plans 144.0 - 144.1 is set aside for CW, but I have yet to actually hear any CW on 2 meters.

James
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2002, 11:16:33 AM »

You can use CW virtually anywhere in the VHF/UHF bands, however it would be wise to simply use it in the section of each band set aside for such work, to help assure you don't interfere with other amateur activities.

50.0 to 50.1 is a CW setaside; 144.0 to 144.1 is a CW setaside, etc.  These are regions expressly dedicated to CW only and thus where most of the beacons are located.

You'll hear CW on the VHF-UHF bands if:

-You have a substantial horizontally polarized antenna system, e.g., large rotary beam antenna(s);

-You listen for distant beacons, which populate the CW subbands and are "hearable" nearly everywhere in the U.S., if you point your antenna(s) in the right directions;

-You listen during meteor showers or periods of auroral activity;

-You listen during VHF-UHF contests, including the e.m.e. (moonbounce) competition periods;

-You listen for 6m CW when the band is really open!  During those times, there's a lot of SSB activity also, of course, but occasionally you'll find a "rare one" using CW only and not available on SSB.

73 de Steve, WB2WIK/6
HAMSTER05

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2002, 04:59:47 PM »

I guess what I meant was: Is it legal for a
technician to use CW without passing the code test,
( provided he stays on VHF/UHF )?  Do I need to
pass the test before I can use CW anywhere?
-hamster
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2002, 04:24:27 PM »

Yes.  The governing regulation is CFR 47, Part 97.301 and you are allowed to use CW in the Technician bands, even though you have not passed a code proficiency test.  You are not allowed to use CW or any other mode on the bands below 50 MHz.

WB2WIK/6
AB9EH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2002, 12:31:52 PM »

All modes authorized to the amateur service may be used on any band, 6 meters and above, with 50.0-50.1 and 144.0-144.1 reserved for CW.  While the band plans are not law, you will make a lot of folks happy if you stay within those two reserved segments on 6 and 2 meters.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: