About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: keyers  (Read 1257 times)
KC8SBV

Ignore
« on: February 08, 2002, 09:17:51 AM »

I am considering building a keyer.  There are many boards available at http://www.farcircuits.net/keyers1.htm to choose from.  Can anyone recommend a keyer project from here?  Also,  what additional feature(s) could I gain by buying a keyer rather than building one?

Thanks,
Ed KC8SBV
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2002, 11:23:38 AM »

A complete dual-mode iambic keyer is contained in a single ASIC chip developed by Curtis many years ago, and still available for purchase from MFJ (I think), who bought the rights to the Curtis product line.

The complete keyer is that chip, a key paddle, a potentiometer to adjust sending speed, and a 9v battery or small "wall wart" power supply.  That's it.  If you want to add features like a monitor, a single-chip audio amplifier IC and small speaker will do it; if you want to add memory, that's a bit more complex.

There is nothing in any commercial keyer that is better or more functional than the single-chip Curtis Keyer; although most modern HF rigs sold today have built-in electronic keyers using a tiny bit of processing power that the rigs include, anyway -- which is why Curtis went out of business.  Nobody needed his chips anymore.  But they still make fun projects.

73 de Steve, WB2WIK/6
KB1HJW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2002, 04:09:09 PM »

Coincidentally, I just ran across an ad for Vectronics, which has a CW keyer kit for $24.95 (VEC-201K). They are at www.vectronics.com and/or 800-363-2922. I have never used any of their products, just passing on the info.
N0RKX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2002, 05:34:30 PM »

I'll add the idiom press Super CMOS keyer III kit to the list. I built one about 3 years ago and this keyer will do everything but cook your breakfast. The keyer includes 6 memories. All of the keyer functions and memories are programmed through the paddles.

Take a look at the reviews here on eHam.net then take a look at http://www.idiompress.com/ for more details. The kit went together quickly and the documentation that comes with it is excellent.

Kevin, NØRKX
AE6AX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2002, 06:28:55 PM »

Check out the keyer kit at
http://www.fix.net/~jparker/wilderness/kc1.htm

This is a good keyer and comes with a frequency counter that you may or may not find useful

Kit is easy to build.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: