Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Digital QRM  (Read 1138 times)
N5XM

Ignore
« on: October 26, 2001, 12:31:01 PM »

It seems that lately I've had problems with digital QRM that appears on a clear frequency out of the blue. As someone who tries to be a "polite" CW operator who always asks "QRL?" before starting to work on a frequency, I'm wondering if any of you have had the same experience? My thought is this: If modes like PSK 31 have such resistance to QRM, are users of this mode just firing up on a frequency regardless of what may be going on there? If my close proxmity to them doesn't interfere with their "copy", could they just not care less that they are interfering with my copy? Human nature being what it is, I can see this happening. You talk about wiping out a QSO. Any thoughts?
G4AON

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2001, 12:39:54 PM »

Sadly, the QRP calling frequency of 14.060 seems to often attract data stations. While I admit there might be an increase in the number of data stations and a decline in the number of CW operators, just spreading into the CW part of the band isn't really the way forward.

Dave
N1ZZZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2001, 09:49:32 PM »

I am an avid Digital operator, and often prowl from 14.060 through 14.110.  One of the signals you may hear in the lower .060's are occassionally a Feld-Hell signal around 14.061 USB which is really narrow and should not QRM anyone.

On the other hand, there is a lot of automated PacTor stations down there as well.  They have a pulsing sound usually.  They operate around 14.062 LSB which may QRM into the CW stations around 14.060.  Clover's call freq is 14.065.5 LSB, and I sometimes hear a CW station call in my passband during a Clover QSO or when I am monitoring.  The CW will fair far worse than the clover in such a situation.

You big problem is the PacTor automated stations that don't even know anyone else is there.

The most realistic, if not the best, solution would be to use filter or go a bit lower in freq.  

That's my 2 cents worth anyhow.

73 Jeremy N1ZZZ
N5XM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2001, 01:52:13 PM »

That's what makes this interesting...I am not in the Digital portion of the sub-band. There have been occasions of this kind of interference around 14.035-14.040, and on 40 meters at 7.035. I am not in the digital portion of the band. Beats me. People are gonna fire it up wherever they are going to fire it up. One time the digital signal totally covered up a fellow I was working who was an honest 599 +.
AC4M

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2002, 05:58:29 PM »

Auto Pactor stations are becoming a nuisance on all bands now,I can listen for 30 min then call a short call .I hear nothing so, i get into a great QSO then out of the blue a Huge pactor Destroying the other guys text. and there pactor is right on top of us. ok , i try to ignor the sad operations of the Pactor station or i get tired of it so i QSY up some . Were nothing has been seen for 50 min on the tone as soon as i get back into a good QSO well you know it amother Pactor station on top of me and the previous Pactor station is gone now.
Were does the interference game come in play at here. When I have done all i can do not to QRM them.
It like they seek me out to get right on top of my signal with all there 1500watts which that what it takes alot of times on HF on Pactor
Shouldn't these station be shut down were is the FCC in this Law breakering operations. And I can not like  switch over to pactor to report there operations to anyone since no TNC here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: