Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This Is The Club You Want In! It's Called the.......  (Read 4889 times)
N2RRA

Ignore
« on: June 28, 2011, 07:17:22 PM »

This forum is about clubs and I've been reading a lot of negative things about various other clubs so I had to create this topic to single out one. I'm not a club guy nor do I belong to one. Politics comes a long with them and I can't stand politics ,but we can't escape politics. It's in everything unfortunately!

This club I'm gonna single out is called the QSY SOCIETY!

http://www.qsysociety.org/

Let me start by saying your gonna find this club may have some of the same woe me issues some others have. What clubs don't have them? None! Difference is they don't treat new comers inconsiderately like I've read in some recent topics or from my own experience visiting other clubs. In fact I figured out this weekend during Field Day it seems most of the members are made up of those that were neglected or shunned from other clubs or repeaters.

Repeaters are in fact clubs and I hate repeaters. Most of them anyway! If you don't kiss their ass or write out a check to them for use of it your not wanted. That's the mentality unfortunately plagues our hobby today. Wasn't like that years ago!

The QSY SOCIETY is a well ran organized group of caring folks. Each person has a role and they perform each role without an ego and perform them with consideration and respect. It consists of good Elmer's from an operating stand point, technical stand point and just plain equals to one another.

I do not participate with them on a regular bases through the year but I contribute when I can. My Field Day experience for only the second time with them missing out last years was a reminder on what I've been missing out with this club. I know there are others like them out their that are not like the miserable ones that have been mentioned on this forum ,but could not go on with out mentioning them and my experience. I unfortunately can not say the same for many in the eastern New York area over the years. Ive walked in and walked out from many knowing I didn't feel right being there or not be wanted there. Not with the QSY SOCIETY!

So look them up if your in the Tri-State and give them a try. You shouldnt be disappointed!

73!
Eric
N2RRA

"Amateurs Code/Article 97". READ THEM AND FOLLOW!

« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 02:55:41 PM by N2RRA » Logged
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 06:06:32 AM »

Quote: "No organized group owes unconditional acceptance of outsiders. To have a friend, you must first be a friend. Give people their space and give them a chance to know you, and know it's their choice to do so. We are all different, and yet we are the same in many ways. A sincere smile, firm handshake and sincere interest in another person from the heart without conditions expecting something in return, still goes along ways. The person happy and content with them self understands this."

My thoughts: This comment was found on another forum but I had to use as an example. All though I see his point it leaves his book open for a new comer to have a bad experience.

First sentence sounds more like "you gotta kiss my ass first attitude". That's the attitude that does not make Ham radio. All that does is allow a club if everyone shares same mentality a selective process based on "reading a book by it's cover" and an excuse for what ever. If anything that should only be an individual's option and not a Ham Radio club approach to any new Ham. That is not Ham Radio as I knew it!

Bottom line! All Ham clubs should welcome a new comer with greeting them with a smile and as a friend. The "only" thing an outsider should not come with is any bad attitudes or negative intentions. A new Ham should always come with a smile and willing to participate as a team member. That includes any senior member!

After these guide lines then and only then if the new guests shows any negative traits should they be not excepted openly. Thats how it should be and always be!

73!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 06:16:36 AM by N2RRA » Logged
WA4VBC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 06:53:40 AM »

It would be a sad world if nobody joined any organization due to politics.  Most of us southern good old boys seem to get along fairly well with each other, even on repeaters. 
Sid. 
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 07:30:29 AM »

Good old southern boys don't have the big city chip on their shoulders or big egos like up here in the north east.

During my travels over years just in the 42 U.S. states alone I've seen such a difference in attitude than north east coast boys. Just the plain truth!
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 02:58:17 PM »

Here goes the web site for the club which didn't know what a nice job they've done with since I saw it last over a year ago.

http://www.qsysociety.org/

Check out the photo gallery for 2011 FD to get an idea how great these folks are and equipment used. The Begali Key I used on 40m CW was great. Thanks!
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 04:23:20 AM »

Good old southern boys don't have the big city chip on their shoulders or big egos like up here in the north east....

Eric--you 'pinned the tail on the donkey' with that statement!
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 06:02:11 PM »

In the beginning of my article I clearly said I was not a member of any club including the QSY SOCIETY. As of July. 5, 2011 I am a member and became one at the meeting the day of July. 5th.

Its only taken me 20 years to become a member of any club and the right one. This one club for good reason. Anyway just wanted to share that!

73! Smiley
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 06:31:19 PM by N2RRA » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: